Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to gmechoc
Default Cell phones

Can we use our cell phones going to alaska?
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Mikey M

Default Re: Cell phones

In ports such as Ketchican, Juneau, you will have service. If you will be charged roaming and long distance depends on which carrier and plan you have. I have Verizon Nationwide and had analog signals in all ports and they were in their Expanded Network calling area and were covered under my plan.

Take care,
Mike
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to felway17 Send a message via Yahoo to felway17

Do it in your cabin, and not on deck... might find yourself on a Glacier.

Old July 27th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Yeoman

Why is that?
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bicker.. I believe your question was Why use cell phone in cabin and not on deck?

Most people are on a cruise to get away from the ordinary day..... I believe it would just be common courtesy.

They was another thread before about cell phones... from all the responses there, I think there would be a mob of people gawking at you if your cell phone rang.

Old July 27th, 2004, 07:01 PM
JLKoag

Hey felway,

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU SURE GOT gmechoc and bicker!!!!!!!!!

HOWEVER, some people need to keep in contact with elderly relatives who may be sick, or other very sensitive people and issues - I needed to do that with my family in the past for quite a few years - also, during that time I always had to plan a trip with the possibility that I may have to abandon the trip and get home in a moment's notice.

But, others are on vacation, so we all should forget our priorities.

Boy, you would be a great Judge!!!
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Yeoman

No, my question was, "Why 'might find yourself on a glacier'?"

I do agree that people shouldn't ask others to borrow their cell phones, or to help them place calls, out of courtesy.
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I figured from the Mutney that would happen to the person.... they asked about cell phones and Alaska.... so I could just see the person landing on some glacier... it was a joke..

Old July 27th, 2004, 10:42 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Cell phones

Just do everybody a favor and use the damn cell phone in your cabin all you want, but stay out of the public areas with it.

Most people are on the ship to escape the warbles and the dissociated faces of people with those things clamped to their heads talking earnestly. Whatever you do, do NOT use them in the restaurants.
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Yeoman

Using cell phones in restaurants is always inappropriate. And that's rather the point: Acting with normal courtesy is approrpriate. If you're in a public place on a cruise ship, use your cell phone's manner mode, just like on land. If you get a call while you're in the dining room, then take the call outside the dining room, in the hall or on deck, where people aren't eating. Unless you plan on leaving a performance if you get a call, turn your cell phone off during shows (as if the phone would work that deep in the ship).

Expecting others to conform their vacation to your specifications is hubris. Expecting others to conform to normal, everyday expectations for courtesy is appropriate.
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:09 AM
AR

Bicker--

A cruise is not a "normal, everyday" experience. It is, quite specifically, a respite from normal, everyday experiences for many people, including me.

Even the largest ships are quite small. It is not asking too much to expect that people will repair to their cabins to use their cell phones. It's still a big step up--in terms of "staying in touch" from when there were no cell phones and people had scant options aboard ship. Somehow they got along.

I've taken my cell phone on ships when the itinerary allowed it to be used conveniently and economically. But it never left the cabin.

99.9% of people are not as important as they think they are, and don't really need to make or receive most cell phone calls "instantly." It is not hubris to ask that people keep their calling in their cabin. It is simply a request to adhere to the vacation atmosphere that most people prefer while in the public areas of the ship.
Old July 28th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Yeoman

Regardless, there are no especial rules for cruise-line cell phone courtesy. The normal expectations and considerations prevail. It is hubris to expect your personal preferences to apply to others, and hubris to assume that your own personal preferences are de facto that of "most people."
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:07 PM
AR

Yeah, I know. It's just your personal version of the old "I paid my fare and I can do what the hell I want" routine.

I just hope that when the ships install the onboard cell sites (which are apparently coming soon) that they'll require that you stay in your room. But I know very well that they won't, and will be stuck with the public areas of ships looking no different than our workaday world.

As for my views not matching the views of most people, I invite you to post a poll on this board for a completely unscientific survey. I believe you will find that it's you who's in the minority.
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Cell phones

I believe you're mistaken. I'll bet that most people, the vast majority, don't care about cell phones in the hallways of the ship. I'm actually in that group: My objection is with the idea that your personal preference should be in some way foisted onto others. Cruise ships should make the rules that satisfy the objectives of their owners best.
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:44 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Cell phones

Yes, you're right. Their rules will reflect their owners' views rather than their passengers'. In other words, they'll choose the course of making a few more incremental bucks to help offset the cutthroat fares that are triggered by overcapacity.

By and large, passengers who are annoyed by cell phone addicts roaming the decks won't say anything. But if they institute a "go to your room" policy, the cell phone boors will be at the desk in droves *****ing and moaning their brains out and demanding their "rights." Ergo, the rule will be dropped because the majority is silent.

And, make no mistake, once a dial tone is readily available phones will be used in the restaurants, theaters and everywhere else on the ship, even if some of those places are technically out of bounds. Reason? Those rules will be enforced about as well as the dress codes, the prohibition against saving deck chairs, and all the rest. The cruise lines' track record in this regard is clear. Reason #2? Since the cruise lines will be getting a piece of the action for every minute racked up via the onboard cell sites, it'll be to their advantage to encourage as much use as possible and to look the other way when phones are used inappropriately, even by your standards.

So have no fear. Your side will win. And we hubris-ridden naysayers will be put in our place. And cruising will be just a little bit less relaxing.
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Admiral

i have a question for all of you. Whatever did we all do before the invention of the cell phone? MY goodness we must have all stayed at home siting by the phone waiting with baited breath for that all important phone call. I do not bring my cell phone with me on vacation, the only reason someone would need to contact me on vacation would be if there was an emergency back home, and someone from the ships staff will find you if you are truly needed. If i want to keep in touch with a quick hello e-mail is a wonderful thing. Its private and non-intrusive. If i want to make a call back home just to say hi, having a great time how are things going i will wait until we get to port and use a phone in port. Maybe its me, but in the daily scheme of things, i don't think that any phone call is so important that i need to have my cell phone with me and have it on during dinner, a show or whatever, common courteousy to my fellow human beings.
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Love you latter day Luddites. Poor person asked about cell phone service availability in Alaska. Instead he gets overblown self-righteous sermons about cell phone etiquette. The perpetually rude will find a way to be rude regardless of available technology. Tarring all cell phone users because a few are rude and thoughtless is unfair. The majority are not under the influence of a false sense of self-importance. We have just accepted it as a new convenience, not a dark threat to the fabric of society as some of you seem to think. The way some of you sound your hackles go up at the mere sight of someone using a cell phone --rude or not.

Post Edited (07-30-04 06:44)

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:15 PM
AR

But DougR--

I'm sure you'd agree that it only takes a few--or sometimes just one--thoughtless user to be annoying.

And if you're including me in your broad-brush critique, you might want to look back and read that I said that I sometimes bring my phone and use it in my room. So that hardly puts me in the category of the look-down-the-nose non-users.

And, you're absolutely right, the majority--in fact, the great majority--do not parade their self-importance in public. But again, those that do are extremely annoying. And I'm certain that the lines will do nothing to rein them in.

As to the original post--it was answered adquately. Beyond that, it's an open forum.
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Yeoman

One more note about importance. True importance requires having someone carry your cell phone for you.