Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:34 AM
grizleygal

Default passports?

We are going on Princess Sept.11.. The western caribbean.. Do we need passports or what kind of documentation do we need?? And do we need to take the documentaion with us when we get off the ship for excursions?
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: passports?

The documentation that you MUST have is:
An official state or county issued birth certificate with the official or raised seal. Copies are not allowed.

A state or U.S government issued id with picture for all adults. I.E. Drivers License or State or Military ID card.

Your marriage license if your name on your birth certificate has changed because of marriage.

You will need to take a picture id and your Cabin Key/Sign and Sail card with you when you leave the ship and present both upon your return.

If you have had a name change for personal reasons, adoption while you were a juvenile or other special circumstances, contact the cruise line.

Check your cruise documents to verify that you have all the documentation that they specify.

I do strongly recommend getting a passport. It will eliminate any problems and it will also eliminate any future issues or changes in the identification and passport requirement policies. If you cruise anywhere other than the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada you must have a passport. You can find out how to obtain a passport by clicking on the link below.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get_first.html

Take care,
Mike

You won't regret getting the passport.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:12 PM
Admiral

get the passport, you have time. You can get on any of the islands on your trip without one, the tricky part comes when and if you have to make an emergency trip home from a foreign country. You might not be able to do that (or it would be very, very difficult) if you did not have a passport. Another factor is the frustration factor,if you do not choose to get a passport, you must have all the id's mentioned above, out and ready to be viewed by immigrations/customs, and you are in a separate line from those who have passports, guess which lines moves faster and doesn't get spot checked as much???
Lock your passport in your stateroom safe, carry a good quality photo copy with you on the islands.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:48 PM
First Mate

One more time....get a passport !!!1

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:45 PM
FodorsPeter

One slight, small, small difference of opinion with what Mike said - Princess will take your picture when you board the ship on embarkation day and that will remain in their computer system attached, in a sense, to your cabin/charge key. You won't need picture id's to re-board the ship. This will be particularly helpful if you have children who don't normally carry picture ids.

Peter
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

In many ports a picture ID is required to get into the port area along with your cabin/charge key. Children are not as strongly scruitinized but adults, myself included, are. :-) It is always a good idea to have a picture id with you when you leave the ship in a foreign port.

The digitally stored photo's are a good thing and when they are used a photo id is not needed to get on the ship itself.

Take care,
Mike
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Since security has been tightened up in many ports after 9/11 we have found that even though your shipboard ID card has your photo imprinted on the magnetic strip, there have been occasions when you were not allowed onboard the tenders or onto the pier unless you presented not only your shipboard card, but also a photo id. Like Mike said, they usually aren''t that concerned with kids photo id's but definately adults. We always carry our DL's with us in addition to the shipboard cards. You may get away with just your shipboard card almost all the time, but it only takes once to be refused to be allowed to get to the ship to end up stranded.
Jim

Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

We tendered in Maui and picture id and the charge card had to be presented.

In Grand Cayman it was the same on our last cruise.

Be safe not sorry, the passport is the easiest. The cost over a 10 year period is minimal. As LisaK commented when in a foreign country if there is an emergency the passport can be a life saver.
When in other countries and issue comes up to go to the US consulate the passport will get you in, without it .. good luck.

Be a savoy traveler, passport don't leave home with out it.