Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:48 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M
Default permission for a minor to travel out of the country with mai

My niece and her 8 yr old daughter want to go on a 3 day cruise into Mexico with us in February. From what I understand, she has to get a notarized statement from her daughter's father saying that he has given permission for his daughter to leave the country with her mom. Does anyone know if this applies to a cruise to Mexico (....Ensenada, Baja California)? Although he has visitation rights (and pays child support), he hasn't taken advantage of those rights and hasn't seen his daughter in well over 3 years. My niece isn't even sure how to get a hold of him, and even if she does, it probably will be a very unpleasant meeting, for sure. The daughter DOES have a passport that her father must have signed for several years ago. By her having that passport, would it make it understood that he has given his permission for her to travel out of the country? Or is my niece going to have to track him down and get his notarized permission?

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: permission for a minor to travel out of the country with

Laurie... I believe she's going to need SOMETHING proving that she has permission to take her daughter out of the country. Maybe she could get a judge to sign it, instead of the father, I don't know. But it won't be much fun for any of you if you get to the port and are not allowed to bring her. I took my two sons when they were 4 and 6 to Canada with my mom. They almost didn't let us in because I didn't have a notarized letter from their father. They talked to me and to the boys separately and then let us in. I don't travel without a letter anymore.

Don't take the risk. Here's a link to a permission form that's helpful.

http://www.familytravelforum.com/permissionletter.html

Stacy
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

From what I have read on the boards, Mexico is one place where that type of letter is essential. They evidently allow no exceptions.
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Hmm...just wondering, how will they KNOW that you are divorced? I travelled with my 13 yo son and my husband didn't come with us. We didn't go to Mexico, but the Bahamas. No one ever asked anything, but it sounds as though other posters who have *been* to Mexico think you need something.

I'll bet you can get a letter from a judge, but you'd better do it quickly. The wheels of justice turn ever so slowly.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old August 9th, 2004, 10:05 AM
First Mate

My TA advised me to get a letter from my ex husband. She said I probably won't need it, but if I run into a 'picky by the book' person, I may have big problems. Better safe than sorry.
Old August 9th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Laurie

I travel extensively with my children. I always have taken a letter even though they have passports. Luckily my ex and I get along fine so it has never been an issue for me. Sometimes I have been asked for it on trips to Mexico (and other places) and other times I have not. It depends on the person who is checking you in. If you're asked for it and don't have it they could not let you travel. I would recommend either getting a letter or court order.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old August 9th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Admiral

It is required to have the absent parents permission and it does not matter if you are divorced or not. Even if the absent parent is dead they can ask for proof such as a death certificate. Now the big question is if they will ask for it. <VBG> Sometimes they don't and probably the majority of the time they will not but if they do and you can't produce it then you can be up the creek so to speak. Do your very best to get the permission paper signed. I of course cannot and do not recommend anything deceptive but 'creative' thinking might help. <VBG>
Jim

Old August 9th, 2004, 01:22 PM
First Mate

All your answers are exactly what I was thinking.

Now I have to tell her she has to track down her daughter's father (They were never married. Her daughter has her last name though).
Although I know she will have to do the same sort of thing if she ever wants to take her daughter on another cruise (she was looking at Disney next year), that might change her mind about joining us on this cruise.

Thanks for your help.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:41 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: permission for a minor to travel out of the country

"I of course cannot and do not recommend anything deceptive but 'creative' thinking might help. <VBG> Jim"

You know, Jim, I was pretty much OK with your admonition to keep replies factual on the staff board. But when the staff posts comments like the one above, it really undermines your credibility to make that request.

Whether or not it's what you meant, that statement appears to be a "wink-wink," advocating some sort of flim-flam to create a document if none can be obtained. Hardly a principled position--even implicitly--for the staff to take.

And while anybody's obviously free to ASK any question they care to, for my money these fine-point legalistic issues aren't best answered on a bulletin board anyway. In this case I'd be calling, e-mailing and/or Googling the cruise line, the State Department, and perhaps the Consular Section of the Mexican Embassy.
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:06 PM
First Mate

Jim...thanks for your input. I just wish we could be creative....putting on my thinking cap and it just ain't working...

AR...I did, in fact, check with the Mexian Consular website and it does say they do require authorization.
However, the reason I asked this question to the board is because I've gotten conflicting information and I was basically asking for peoples' experience on the subject. As a matter of fact, I asked two different RCCL representatives and I got two different answers. One said, yes, she needs authorization, and the other said, "don't worry about it, I take my kids and my nieces & nephew on 3 day cruises all the time and I've never had to show authorization. " That answer shocked me....that a RCCL rep would say that.

So, it looks like my niece will be doing some work to get the authorization. She might as well get it taken care of now, so she can take her daughter elsewhere if she wants.

Stacy.....Thanks for the link. I've printed it out for my niece.

Post Edited (08-09-04 13:08)
PAST CRUISES
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:30 PM
AR

Laurie--

I'm glad you checked with the Mexican Consulate. Naturally, you'd be wise to take their advice above all others, and in any event you'd be wise to err on the side of having the document (a legitimate one). Hope it doesn't really mean that people have to miss taking a cruise.
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:44 PM
First Mate

AR...

I passed on the info to my niece. She's not happy about it, (and it still may mean her missing the cruise), but she is going to try to get whatever documentation she needs.

Even if she misses this cruise a good thing will come out of this. I just spoke to her and she has decided that its time to go to court and get whatever legal issues she might need for any future travel, yada yada...etc.

PAST CRUISES
Old August 9th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Admiral

AR! Shame on you for thinking that I was advocating something illegal or underhanded! I was talking creative in locating the father, or going to court and having him declared 'persona non gratis' or getting the legal system to declare he is unavailable and has no rights seeing as how they did not think they could track him down. Creative and illegal are definately two differant things. Anyone that knows me understands that I of all people would never advise or encourage anyone to do anytime illegal.
Jim

Old August 10th, 2004, 10:37 AM
AR

Then you should have spelled out your recommendation specifically. Nothing wrong with stating a reasonable thought directly. And no VBG would have been required.
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Laurie... you said your niece was never married to the father, does he have any legal right to the child, any visitation/custody rights? If he doesn't, then she shouldn't need his permission to take the child out of the country. And, if the child's birth certificate doesn't list him as the father, then that should be "proof" enough that there isn't a father who needs to give his persmission. Does that make sense? I think I'd be talking to my lawyer, not looking for a missing father figure. Perhaps a legal document that lists her as the ONLY legal parent would be all she needed.
Old August 10th, 2004, 02:36 PM
First Mate

Stacy...

The mother was never married to him, but he is listed on the birth certificate. The child has the mother's last name.

The father is paying child support, and has visitation rights, but its been his choice not to see her in almost 4 years.

The good thing that has come out of this, is that my niece is now going to get her legal affairs in order so that if this sort of thing comes up again, she will already have it taken care of.

PAST CRUISES