Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Alla Brodsky

Default post-cruise day stay

Hello,
We are planning our first cruise Eastern Caribbean on 02/12/2005 on Jewel of the sea.
We will depart from Fort Lauderdale port. We will fly to FLL one day before on 02/11/05
and stay at Sheraton. We will be back at FLL at 8A.M. but out fly home at 8 p.m. What
are your suggestions what to do with luggage for this time? Is Port Everglades has a lock room? We do not need a hotel room, and do not want carry with us our suitcases.
Thanks in advance to advices.

Alla
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:26 AM
AR

Default Re: post-cruise day stay

A good solution is to book a "day room" at one of the Ft. Lauderdale hotels. They cost about half what a room costs for the night. You can store your luggage, nap, and use the hotel's pool, beach and bar as you like.

Most airlines will not accept luggage until four hours before flight time. If Port Everglades has a baggage check room, it's news to me. I doubt that they do.
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Alla Brodsky

Default Re: Re: post-cruise day stay

Thanks for promt reply. Can you recommend Fort Lauderdale hotels for 'day room' stay?

Alla
Old August 17th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Alla,
Once you are cruising, they will tell you about post excursions, including a stay at a local hotel for a few hours, when you do those they will drop you off at the airport with your luggage.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 18th, 2004, 12:01 AM
FodorsPeter

Jump on biddingfortravel.com and read the FAQ's. They will tell you how to bid on Priceline for the place you want to stay. You can get a room cheaper than what a day rate would be.

Peter
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Do not use Priceline for a day room.

Priceline only guarantees that a room will be available for check-in after 3:00 PM. You may try to check-in and no room is available. I love Priceline and use it all the time but there is no guarantee that there will be a room available during the day.

You don't know what hotel you will get until you have bid and your credit card is charged. If you called the hotel and asked for early check-in and it was refused you would be out of the money.

I have tried checking in at Embassy Suites at 1:00 PM and no room was available.

The site Peter mentioned is an excellent resource for learning how to use Priceline.

Go with the day room.

Hotels near the port you can try are:

Renaissance Hotel:
Embassy Suites
Marriott Marina
Hyatt Pier 66
Amerisuites
Comfort Inn on 17th
Sleep Inn on 17th

Near the Airport

Wyndham Airport
Sheraton Airport
LaQuinta Inn Airport
Sprinhill Suites Airport

All of these hotels are less than a $10 cab ride from the pier and the airport.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:19 AM
FodorsPeter

Mike makes a good point. A couple of things, though. I have done this three times after a cruise and have always been able to get into a room around 10:00 am. Our cruises generally were over on Sunday and Sundays in Fort Lauderdale hotels will have many people checked out by then to go on their cruise! Our backup plan has always been to be able to at least store our luggage at the hotel and use their facilities until a room became available. After all, we really only want a place to store our bags and some place to relax and base from for shopping, eating, etc.

Day rooms at the four star hotels will still run you over $100. Priceline will get you one for half that many times. There is certainly an element of risk with Priceline and this process, but then that's what makes life ineresting.

Peter
Old August 18th, 2004, 01:29 PM
cruisinisgreat

We had the same situation...so my husband and i rented a small car for the day and went swimming in ft lauderdale then we took a ride up the coast to Boca Raton and looked at the scenery and expansive houses and then got back to the airport in enough time to get our flight out. If you should go swimming at the public access beach in lauderdale..they have changing rooms and there is this wonderful deli right across the street...enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!