Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Brian Walker

Default Marco Polo downgrades.

Below is a message which I posted earlier of the "cruise gripes" site. I thought when I posted it that it was an advice site. As I would appreciate some urgent help, I will repost it here in the hope that you might have some suggestions..

My wife and I are due to depart on a cruise on the Marco Polo leaving Stockholm on 31st August. Our booking was made 9 months ago and subsequently we were allocated a specific cabin some time ago (G117 - which was at the level to which our upgrades entitled us). However, when we received our tickets recently, we found that we had been re-sited to a lower grade cabin.
The problem has apparently arisen due to an error, double booking or incompetence within Australia and the only help we have had from the cruise agent is that they will try to have us upgraded to the original level but with us paying extra. This offer is totally unaccceptable to us as we have no intention of paying more to achieve a level to which we are entitled anyway. The cruise agent has offered to share the cost of this which adds to our suspicions that they have made an error and are trying to cover it. We understand from our TA that the agents have claimed that the ship is full. If this is so, how can they even be talking of upgrading our cabins.
We are Marco Polo club members but there has been no response to two emails which we have sent to their headquarters.
We are due to leave Australia in 7 days.
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Marco Polo downgrades.

I have a question or two...

Did you get a document with your original booking stating the cabin number? If so, was this document from your T.A., cruise line, or whom?

What do you mean when you say "the level our upgrades entitled us?" Were these "entitled" upgrades a sales promotion or a perk for your previous customer status?

I think, not knowing the answers to these and other questions, that probably the T.A. may have made an error. Be that as it may, it sounds like you got the cabin level you actually paid for. I think I would call the cruise line and ask for a supervisor to speak with you, not a regular phone agent. Then I would calmly and politely explain the problem.

They may not be able to change your cabin back to the previous level but they may do something to help ease the pain. In any case they may be able to shed more light on the problem so that you are not in the dark.

You shouldn't allow this to ruin your vacation. At least you are going on a wonderful cruise. The Baltic cruises are fabulous and most of us would be happy to sleep in the broom closet, need be.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:35 AM
Brian Walker

Hi, Chuck, and thanks for your email.
There were three reasons for us being given upgrades. We booked very early to take adventage of an advertised "early-bird" upgrade. As Marco Polo Club members, we then had further automatic upgrades. We also had a certificate for a further upgrade which Orient Lines gave us because of a problem on our previous cruise. This was issued "subject to availability" but our early booking should have (and did) overcome that problem and our travel agents subsequently were sent an email by the cruise agents giving details of the cabin we had been allocated. I agree that we are getting a better class of cabin than the one we paid for but the upgrades were "earned" in various ways.
Our gripes are the way this has happened and the complete lack of response from the cruise line.
It won't ruin our vacation. It is a really great itinerary which ends up in Athens and we are looking forward to the cruise.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Sometimes upgrades are not combinable with other upgrades. Your TA is the one that is supposed to deal with the Cruiseline and is responsible in the end and not the cruiseline.
Jim