Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Default stealing chairs

I have read in a few posts about people that get up early and then put there towel on a chair. Then then go and eat or watch a show and show up a hour later. I have not got a problem if someone reserves a chair with a towel but if they are not back in half a hour I feel that chair should be open game. Is there a unwritten role on how long you can hold a chair for? If not how long do you feel is fair to wait if all the other chairs are taken?

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: stealing chairs

There's no law I've heard of. I think 30 minutes is reasonable, but don't get miffed if someone steals your chair and dumps the towel.

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Admiral

i also think that 30 minutes is a reasonable amount of time, but you also have to take into consideration that during peak pool times, someone could be in the pool for 30 minutes, for this reason, i would ask the person sitting next to the "saved" chair if someone has been using this chair recently they could be going for a swim, getting a bite to eat. Then go from there. Question remains- what do you do with the stuff??
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

"Question remains- what do you do with the stuff??"

Give it to one of the guys working the pool area.

When I am looking for two lounge chairs and find 8 lined up with each one being saved by one book, or one towel, or one pair of shoes, etc., and no one in sight, I ask anyone nearby if these chairs are being used or "saved." Most often I'm told that no one has seen anyone actually use the chairs. At that point I have no problem taking ALL of the assorted things and piling them on one chair. Then I take the two chairs I need and drag them away from the rest, preferably turning them so I'm not facing the now empty chairs and pile of belongings. If you pair the remaining chairs together they won't last 10 minutes unoccupied. By the time the owners of the stuff return the chairs are full because they were found empty. Ta-daaaaaaaa. Problem solved.
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:31 PM
David Starkey

I like the old Cunard method on QE 2 where you paid for a specific chair and your name was placed on the chair and a "real deck steward" was around to help or keep up with the chairs.....It was worth the $$ for sure....ahhh the good old days of ship travel.
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:56 PM
BoozeBabe

I "HATE" pool towels. I like great big beach towels so I always take my own. They always dry overnight on the balcony or draped over our luggage when we don't have a balcony.

We have been away from our chairs for longer than 1/2 hour many times. In the pool that is, not running around other parts of the ship. No one has ever moved MY towel or taken our chairs. It is pretty obvious we will return for OUR towels.

I also think it is ridiculous for people to go to lunch and expect their seat to be there when they return. A trip to the restroom or to get a drink is totally different. But a trip to eat lunch should be preceeded by a trip to the cabin to change clothes, which means you lose your seat.
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:43 PM
First Mate

In the past, we've stood nearby for 15-20 minutes, then asked those around the chairs, are you saving these chairs? If they say no, then we remove the belongings, piling them safely nearby, and take the chairs. Truthfully, we usually don't stay more than an hour or so, so often we never see these malingerers come to claim their stuff.

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old August 27th, 2004, 06:37 PM
JLKoag

So, sit there until they come back - big deal!! What are they going to say?

I cannot worry about this stuff on a cruise - for heaven sake ENJOY!!!!
Old August 28th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Passenger

Pudgy,

I think a half hour is a little short. Eating lunch can take 30-45 minutes. If I see a chair empty for 1 hour I would let a chair seeker know it is up for grabs. My wife and I always get up early. I see towels in chairs by pool side by eight and still empty at Ten. I have no propblem climbing right into that nice liitle pool side deck chair.
Old August 29th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: stealing chairs

I agree that 30 minutes is a good amount of time. For those who go eat and then expect their chair back, that seems like a lot to expect. Especially if there are people waiting for chairs. If it is that important to keep your chair, eat in shifts and have somebody stay behind to save chairs. I am not looking forward to "chair wars", but also don't think I will be too worried about it because there will be a lot to do besides lay at the pool.