Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to felway17 Send a message via Yahoo to felway17
Default Cruisemates Staff Paid/Unpaid

I was just wondering I have seen a lot of posts from all the Staff here. All of you sound very knowledgable in the field.

I was wondering a few questions...

1) Does Cruisemates pay you to write articles, monitior and write replies in the message boards?

2) Does Cruisemates pay for you to take trips . (For instance you Mr Kuki, it seems you are always going palces). So just wondering if you are doing trial runs to report back to us on

3) Also when Cruisemates runs group cruises, I have read that cruisemates does not make any money off these cruises. But that you do hold reception parties, I was just wondering who picks up that tab.

Believe me, in no way is this post meant to be negative. Just wondering. And boy if you are getting paid to do any of this stuff... I wish I could join you... But I am by no means an english major, or a writer like you guys are.

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruisemates Staff Paid/Unpaid

Personnel matters are not discussed just as they are not discussed at any other corporations. I can tell you that Cruisemates does not make money on the Cruisemates cruises and the TA's or cruiselines pay for the parties for the most part. There are times when a CM staffer on the cruise will pick up the tab for a get together during a pre-cruise as I have done in the past.
Jim

Old August 25th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Cruisemates Staff Paid/Unpaid

So Jim from just from what you said there. You are employees of Cruisemates...And this is not just a "friendly" site.

But hey I enjoy this site 100% anyway. Too many tips and too many nice people here.

Old August 25th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Think the first hint would be that it's pretty obvious that CruiseMates is a "Commercial Web Site". <G>

Would you walk into a library, or bookstore, searching for information, and ask everyone how much they're paid? <G>

The "staff" usually clearly identify themselves as staff members in their signatures. The vast majority of posters are simply people like yourself who enjoying taking cruising, and sharing cruise info.

And OF NOTE... the staff are allowed to expressed their own opinions, and on occassion you'll find we disagree with each other. There is NO "company line" to tow.

Old August 25th, 2004, 03:20 PM
C2

"Would you walk into a library, or bookstore, searching for information, and ask everyone how much they're paid? <G>"

Kuki, in all fairness to Felway, he/she did not ask you *how much* you were paid, just *if* you were paid. I was taught never to ask questions that could be deemed too personal in nature so I'm always glad when there is someone else in the crowd bold enough to do it for me:-) If Felway had asked how much, I would have winced. He/She only asked "if" and I have to admit, it made me curious. Of course, I'm also the same person who loves the yearly Parade Magazine issue that that lists different kinds of jobs and the annual salary for each job -- simple human curiousity, that's all.
Old August 25th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Admiral

C2... You are of course right. You'd think I'd be able to read by now <G> And I do apologize for my misdirected response.

I think I just paid more attention to Felway's response to Jim
You are employees of Cruisemates...And this is not just a "friendly" site.

Sort of implies that the friendliness is "bought". More likely that the monitors and chat hosts were brought onboard BECAUSE of their friendliness, I'd think.

Old August 25th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oh Kuki,
You have such a way with words.....I will say I'm happy to be part of Cruisemates and enjoy the work I do here in my spare time, its just a supject I think we all enjoy talking about and sharing our expierences with others.

The Cruisemates group cruises are also a lot of fun and something I look forward to, but yes, we also pay to go, nothing in this world is free, the get togethers onboard and the cocktail parties are also a plus. I actually have a regular job that pays for my cruising :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 25th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Suffice to say that neither I nor any other member of the Cruisemates staff count on what we receive from Cruisemates to pay our bills each month. We are here because we love cruising and passing whatever information we can find along to others and want to make sure that this forum is available to others. IN addition there was more to the question than just if we received any pay. Questions were asked about how the Cruisemates Inc worked and corperations just do not give out that information. I am sure that it would be highly improper to ask you how much people get paid, what they get paid for, what your benefits if any are, etc. etc. Just something that is best left unanswered and should not be asked unless you are offered a position.
Jim

Old August 25th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey I am sorry if this post came off negative at all...I almost wish now that I did not write it up...

Once again I do appreciate everything you guys do. And I am envious of you all.

Old August 25th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Admiral

It was my understanding that Kuki is paid by the Western Canada Society for the Promotion of Moose Cruising.
Robo Cop is paid by the Carolina Society for the Rebuilding of Broken Law Enforcement Officers.
Tweety is paid by the Long Island Society for the Preservation of the Long Island Accent.
(an offshoot of the Society for the Consumption of Long Island Ice Tea).
Art is paid by The Society to Promote the Consumption of Oatmeal in the Galapagos.
All other staff members are paid by the North American Society of Kite Flying cruisers.
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

I get a very healthy check each month. But they deduct for wrong trivia answers which is a required test to be employed. I'M in the hole for $300,000.

On a serious note, we do this on a voluntary basis because we love cruising and all the fine people we meet here on CruiseMates. And it is such fun when cruising to put faces with names. My wife and I have met the finest cruisers here at CruiseMates.

Fly to London, Sept 2, 2004

Constellation Sept 7, 2004

Post Edited (08-26-04 02:44)

Old August 25th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Yeoman

I have only found one significant cruise-related message boards web site that isn't tightly aligned, or out-right operated, by a travel agency or some other commercial travel-related enterprise.
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Sorry Felway, maybe I came back a little strong. In defense I have been accused of getting my cruises for free and being a shill for cruiselines, getting kickbacks etc and none of that is true and I'm a bit touchy over it now. I only wish I did get free cruises and paid to travel! You would not see me on this keyboard talking about it, I'd be doing it.
JIm

Old August 25th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Author: bicker (beacon.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: 08-25-04 19:53

I have only found one significant cruise-related message boards web site that isn't tightly aligned, or out-right operated, by a travel agency or some other commercial travel-related enterprise

I guess you must mean CruiseMates! Because unless your term "tightly aligned" equates to the fact we sell advertising, CruiseMates is TOTALLY independant.

Just a couple of quotes about Cruisemates:

FORTUNE MAGAZINE: "The Web's best site for articles, advice, or chatting with Cruise People. Self-financed and run independently of the industry, so their opinions are impartial.

NEW YORK TIMES: "Many sites that offer reviews are selling cruises, which raises questions about impartiality. An exception is CruiseMates

Old August 26th, 2004, 12:48 AM
C2

"I am sure that it would be highly improper to ask you how much people get paid, what they get paid for, what your benefits if any are, etc. etc. Just something that is best left unanswered and should not be asked unless you are offered a position."

Jim, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the above. I am, however, looking for a certain T-shirt. It says "My job went to India and all I got was this lousy T-shirt". If you see one in your travels, let me know.
Old August 26th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

C2,
The "T" shirt you really want is here
http://www.cruisemates.com/mbindex/gsindex.cfm

Fly to London, Sept 2, 2004

Constellation Sept 7, 2004

Post Edited (08-26-04 02:39)

Old August 26th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Yeoman

By "tightly aligned" I meant selling advertising that appears on the message threads. As you pointed out, Cruisemates is commercial, in that way. I have found only one significant cruise-specific message board that isn't tightly aligned, or out-right operated, by a travel agency or some other commercial travel-related enterprise.
Old August 26th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Y2C....... I will only get it... if you were to autograph it for me..lol

Old August 26th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

"Suffice to say that neither I nor any other member of the Cruisemates staff count on what we receive from Cruisemates to pay our bills each month."

Jim... Well said. :-)

I am one of the principles in CruiseMates, Inc. along with Anne Campbell.

I also wish I could pay our staff to go on cruises and come back and talk about them. I wish I could pay MYSELF to do that, but I don't.

Bicker wrote "I have only found one significant cruise-related message boards web site that isn't tightly aligned, or out-right operated, by a travel agency or some other commercial travel-related enterprise."

And for the record, I disagree with him, but purely on a semantics basis. We are a commercial entity, NOT tightly aligned, or out-right operated, by a travel agency or some other commercial travel-related enterprise."

We are our OWN commercial travel-related entity, we are not run by any OTHER enterprise. We run ourselves and are supported by the advertising we sell.

Old August 26th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Cruisemates Staff Paid/Unpaid

I stand correct. "I have only found one significant cruise-related message boards web site that isn't a commercial entity itself or tightly aligned with some commercial travel-related enterprise."
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak

Lets just put it this way:

I would work here for nothing- my job is a pleasure and I enjoy every minute of it!

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old August 26th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am the same as Dan. I do it for the fun. I also enjoy doing some back room stuff. It keeps me off the streets.

Some people may call me crazy, and I am, but I pay good money to cruise with Kuki. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike(Who seriously thanks Cruisemates and the readers for the last four years.)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 27th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Admiral

Mike: I'm with you. The friendships I've made through this site are priceless!

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old August 27th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Passenger

As far as this cruiser is concerned, you all deserve whatever the pay is.
Keep up the GREAT work!
Old August 27th, 2004, 07:34 PM
JLKoag

I fully agree with BillR, but I was also curious like felway17 was.

But boy, until I saw the responses from the Staff, I thought I had thin skin. jlk
Old August 29th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Not sure what you mean, jlk?

It is easy to mis-read peoples intentions in a message board. I don't think anyone here meant to get defensive.

Unless you mean my response to Bicker.

That has to do with frequent criticism we get about our ability to be impartial even though we run a for-profit web site.

That is a tough call, because the board I believe Bicker was referring to is an un-moderated board (no staff at all) and as far as I am concerned it is a zoo. Very hard to get any decent information there at all without also encountering some very rude people who are just there to antagonize and insult others.

Old August 29th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Cruisemates Staff Paid/Unpaid

No, definitely not the same board. The one I'm referring to doesn't put up with any rudeness whatsoever. (Here's a hint, with deference: Harmonia axyridis.)
Old August 30th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Cruisemates Staff Paid/Unpaid

I thought you were referring to RTC. That place is truly a zoo. I guess you might mean cruise2.com? (I am missing the subtlety of your hint). That board used to be very active, but has slowed down a lot.

Old August 30th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cruisemates Staff Paid/Unpaid

Hehe... gosh... maybe we should play 20 questions? <big grin>

Could I just post the name of the board?
Old August 30th, 2004, 08:03 PM
JLKoag

I meant thin skin - read the above messages again.