Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Patricia Belzner

Default Prescriptions & Booze

Our cruise is on the Rotterdam VI with ports of call in Costa Rica, Panama, Curacao & Aruba. I, myself have 13 prescriptions taken daily & hubby has 3. Must they be in the original prescription bottle or can I just pack them in weekly pill boxes. When touring we don't plan to carry any pills since most are taken early am & at dinner.

It's 10 years since our last cruise. Previously we packed a half gallon of whiskey & a manhattan mix. It's so nice to lounge in the stateroom after touring & have a relaxing cocktail after you shower & are getting ready for dinner. Do you know if anyone still does this? If so, is it better to pack it in your carryon or in checked luggage?
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Prescriptions & Booze

Prescriptions are 'supposed to be' packages in their original prescription bottles but unless you have a ton of oxycotins or demeral or something like that they don't normally say anything. They may be checking in Curacao more than other places due the to drug smuggling problem from that area.
As for the booze, the policy is that you are not allowd to bring on liqour but there are a number of people that do place it in their checked luggage. If the find it in your carry-on they will take it from you and give it back at the end of the cruise.
Jim

Old August 30th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Put them in the pill boxes, but take copies of the prescriptions with you just in case there is a question coming back into the states (and in case there is a medical emergency on board......I cannot tell you how wonderful it is if there is a written record of what is being taken versus a verbal report..........that is the nurse in me speaking! )

As for the liquor, pack it in your checked luggage - padded and secured well - and enjoy your pre or post dinner drink!

Old August 30th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The truth is they are far more concerned with "street" drug type smuggling than pills, so if you look like a senior chances are very slim they will say anything, however, I would not want to steer you wrong and recommend you do anything "illegal"

I have often taken all of my legal 'scripts and put them all in one bottle. I think just about everyone over a certain age carries pills with them, I don't think they have time to check everyone out. But it would be a very good idea to list the medications and have the name & number of your doctor handy just in case.

Old August 30th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Admiral

first off check with HAL on their policy about bringing aboard alcohol.
Secondly-i agree with the others on the prescriptions, pack them in those daily pill containers and bring along a copy of your original prescription, especially if you are taking any kind of narcotic pain killer.
FYI - OTC medications should be in the original marked containers,(Tylenol, Rolaids, Bonine, Benadryl etc) there is no way to trace what these are without the containers.
Old August 31st, 2004, 06:19 PM
Admiral

We put most of our prescription drugs and vitamins in the pill boxes. I do carry one narcotic (for emergency severe pain) and I carry it in the original prescription bottle.

Never had a problem with putting a liquor bottle in the checked luggage. Some liquors come in a plastic "travel" bottle. Don't have to worry about it breaking!

Fern