Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2004, 08:15 AM
Yeoman

Default Dining with the captain

Has anyone been invited to dine with the captain? I would love to surprise my husband by getting invited to the captains table! Have NO idea how to go about this.
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2004, 08:39 AM
AR

Default Re: Dining with the captain

Be a top category frequent cruiser, or buy the top level suite, or be a travel agent, or be a friend of somebody important at the line, or hustle the social hostess on the first day and tell her/him of your dream.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Cruisequeen:
Getting to know the social hostess is the best way to make this happen. I wouldn't be pushy about it but it wouldn't hurt to let her know that it is something that your husband would love to do. Many times she is in the embarkation and check-in area when you board. Just know that she does get a number of requests and as AR said many VIP's are already pre-selected so there is not a great chance of this happening but there is a chance. I am proof of that.

Dinners with the Captain can be very enjoyable and sometimes it can be somewhat boring. The best thing is they serve the "good wine" with dinner. :-) I have actually enjoyed dinner with the Hotel Captain and the Chief Engineer more than with the Captain.

I hope you things work out.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 3rd, 2004, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Here's a link to a story I wrote on the subject of dining with the Captain.
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ainDinning.cfm

Don't know if it will help you get the invitation, but might make you laugh if you do get the invitation, and then while dining recall some of the things it tells you not to do <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 3rd, 2004, 09:14 PM
cruisinKandJ.

We didn't have dinner with the captain, but we did have dinner with an air conditioning officer on the Royal Princess. This man was an interesting person in his own right. But this dinner resulted in a tour of the ship's a/c area and a quick trip through the galley. I never saw so much pasta being boiled in my life! You don't haved to have dinner with the captain to have an interesting exerience on a cruise ship.

J.
Old September 4th, 2004, 04:01 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Dining with the captain

Why would anyone wish to dine with the hired help ? (s)

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old September 4th, 2004, 10:25 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

I am the Cruisemates reader in my family but before our last cruise in July, I shared that article with my family and we got the biggest kick out of it..

Specifically this sentence:

""If you come off as a reasonably good conversationalist, and you donít have spoons or other forms of cutlery hanging off the end of your nose, youíve at least increased your chances of getting an invitation.""

My husband, two daughters (ages 19 & 24) and I have our little "tradition". It all started on our daughters' first cruise when they were 10 & 15. I don't know how it came about, but on formal night my youngest hung a spoon on her nose. Next cruise...she did it again. Now its become our little family joke about being all dressed up in formal attire with spoons hanging off our noses. She doesn't do it any other time, just on formal nights....

So on this last cruise every time we did something silly we would say ...."reason number 17 for not getting invited to the captain's table" By the end of the cruise, I think we got up to reason number 27 .... It was a running joke the whole cruise!

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old September 4th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Laurie..

That behavior may not get you an invitation to the Captain's table, but it would get you an invitation to mine <G>

Glad you enjoyed the article!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 4th, 2004, 01:49 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Kuki... I couldn't figure out how to send a picture in the message board so I hope you don't mind, but I sent you an email. I wanted to show you my daughter with the spoon on her nose. It will come from my email address name..Mszkitty@****. With a name like that I don't want you to think its spam or junk mail ...

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Beginner

What cruise line will you be sailing?
Old September 7th, 2004, 06:54 PM
jamiegunter

My friends were on the Imagination back in March, and they were sat at the Captains table every night. SHe said he never came to dinner though. There were two other couples at the table. I think there were a few officers some nights.
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:47 PM
First Mate

On my Celebrity Summit cruise, my husband and I received an invitation to sit at the Captains Table with the Hotel Manager.

Couldn't figure out how we had gotten chosen at first, since we were only on Celebrity twice and do inside cabins, but came to find out the Social Hostess came over to our check in person, since we were chatting with him and were laughing.

She must have been looking for people to sit at that table and I'm glad she chose us.

When you receive the invite, you should immediately respond YES, it's the proper thing to do.

Not only was the Hotel Manager very informative, the service at that table is superb.

Don't forget if you do get an invite, make sure you send a thank you note the next day to the Social Hostess and the Hotel Manger/Captain or whoever invited you thanking them. I brought mine to the purser's desk to give to them.

Hope you get an invite, it's a wonderful experience.

2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Yeoman

Cuzwiz:
I'm sailing the Celebrity Summit 10/25/04
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:00 PM
JaneMarlow

, Ed, didn't Lady Astor say that?
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:05 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Dining with the captain

I'm not sure who said it but I've always thought it was very very funny !

NCL Boston to Bermuda