Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:26 PM
JCC

Default What to do in San Juan Oct 25

We are booked on double repositioning cruise with a day in San Juan aboard the Celebrity Galaxy without the option of ship sponsored shore excursions. We will have to get transportation from cruise terminal. Does anyone have any advise on how to get to snorkel, or history tour, or maybe rainforest. Thanks JCC
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2004, 06:41 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What to do in San Juan Oct 25

From what I have read on boards--
Make sure you kow which port you are docking at. I know Carnival and RCl are at different ports which would affect transportation. I believe Carvial ship excursionsafterwards for instance drop you off at airport (which may or may not be helpful.) We have been to San Juan and a cab could easily take you to the Fort, old San Juan shopping in general. The El Yunque rainforest is I'd say at least 45 minutes away from docks. It is beautiful, however we had the ability to rent a car and tour early in day when we had the whole trail to ourselves and less heat, not a large group from a tour bus. If you like a moderate amount of exercise (walking) and beautiful scenery then that tour is for you. Do NOT forget bottled water though! I felt like I had gotten my aerobic exercise on that walking trail to look out area.
Bacardi Rum tour is very close to port--just walk a short distance and take ferry for less than a dollar. Then a small charge for a taxi to get to Bacardi plant. You used to be able to tour the actual factory now however from posts I read it sounds like more of a video of production.
Not sure if I covered everything you need to know, but a starting point.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:09 AM
JCC

Default Re: Re: What to do in San Juan Oct 25

thanks for your help. Will most likely do the fort and rum factory, not rain forest. Again we really appreciateit. JCC
Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Default Re: What to do in San Juan Oct 25

walking around Old San Juan is a very nice way to spend some time. Its very pretty with lots of history. Grab a cab from the pier. El Morro Fort is a great place to wander around, the view of the harbor is great! you can see all the cruise ships coming in. Its a bit windy up there, which makes it a very popular place to fly kites.