Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Beginner

Default I was bumped down!

I signed up for a cruise via the internet. Only 3 types of cabins remained -- "SS," "A" and something else (I forget, but it was an inside cabin). I selected and paid for the A cabin, with verandah. I received a written confirmation that said they were all out of A cabins but had put me in a B cabin (with verandah) at a lower price. I've never heard of being bumped down, especially when they didn't even offer B cabins. Isn't the usual "rule" that when you pay for a specific item, and the item isn't available, you get bumped up? At the very least, shouldn't the website state somewhere that bumping down is a possibility?
Before anyone jumps on me for being unappreciative or the like, I can certainly live with the B cabin at the lower price, but if the CruiseMates experts think my concern is worth pursuing, then why not?
THANK YOU!!

LA
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: I was bumped down!

It seems that some "B" category cabins opened up and since the "A" cabins were booked solid (cruise lines do sell more cabins than are open at times) you were given a refund and dropped to a "B". I would feel bad ONLY if I hadn't received the reduced fare. If you can live with it, I say ok. You may still get upgraded again if higher cat cabins become available....ask your on-line TA (or call the cruise line yourself) and let them know you would be willing to be upgraded - can't hurt.

Old September 29th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

LA:
I would definitely be disappointed but seeing as you were charged a lower rate I don't think you can do anything other than cancel and get your money back. I would let your online agent and agency know that you are not happy about this and tell them that you booked an A and you feel you should get an A. I take it that this is a Holland America ship. One consolation is that the Cat A and Cat B cabins on most HAL ships are identical except for the deck. As Lisa said you still have a good chance of getting a bump up to an A cabin.

Take care and don't let this ruin your trip. Take the extra money and have a couple of cocktails or spend it on a trinket or two.

Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Yeoman

The only difference is position of cabin on the ship. Usually these are lower levels of the ship but since you have a veranda, it can't be very low. As long as you weren't changed from a veranda to an inside, I would keep it at the lower fare. You really aren't in the room much. I'm sure that they had sold all of the A cabins while you were booking.
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Admiral

I would imagine that if you read all the "fine print" on the internet offer, you would find wording to the effect of something like "limited number, first-come first-served" etc,and when those cabins are gone they are gone. That's one of the problems with booking in cyberspace, their could be a person who is a milisecond ahead of you who got the last Cat A cabin, its a technicality that doesn't make it an "official" bump. Bumps are voluntary not mandatory, the cruise line cannot force you to take something less than what you paid for even for a discounted rate
Old September 30th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Beginner

Thanks to everyone for the good counsel! Buying trinkets is one of my favorite diversions, so no encouragement needed on that front. I don't want to be one of the "gripers," so I'm inclined to just let it go. One last thought in response to Lisa -- I've checked back on the website, and they continued to offer only A cabins at least 2 weeks after I booked. Oh well.
Thanks all!
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Admiral

if you received a written confirmation that the Cat A cabins were all gone, and yet they were still selling them 2 weeks after you booked, if you had your heart set on a Cat A cabin i would call them up to just find out what's going on, it doesn't cost anything to ask. You knows, you might get visited by the upgrade fairy!