Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:12 PM
ctb

Default value of cruise insurance

I'm about to book my first cruise for Carnival Glory 8/20/05 and have a question about the value of and reasons for purchasing cruise insurance. Although we've never cruised we do vacation often both in the US and overseas and I have never purchased travel insurance. Could someone tell me why I should purchase cruise insurance and what it will do for me. If the cruise is cancelled for some reason, I assume that Carnival would provide a full refund. If it covers someone in our party getting sick and not being able to travel, I don't think thats a worthwhile reason to get it. But I do recall reading something about getting access to health care while on the ship or in port and that may be something I would consider.

I'd appreciate any advice you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: value of cruise insurance

Hi Ctb,
We've always purchased travel insurance. It does cover a wide range of things, including lost/missing luggage, trip interruption, missed flights, some health coverage, etc. Until our last cruise, we had never had to make a claim, but we had a medical claim and they insurance covered everything our regular health insurance company did not, and promptly too. We usually cruise during the end of winter/early spring and you can never tell what the weather is like in the midwest, and if we could not get to the port to cruise, another good reason to have insurance. We do try to fly in a day early, but with our next cruise, its just not possible. There are just too many variables these days, and its just the wise thing to do, so we get it and hope we don't need it.

There are a few independent companies you can look at and compare policies and pick one that works for you:

Access America

CSA Travel Protection

Travel Guard

Happy Cruising!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 4th, 2004, 06:48 PM
First Mate

Post Edited (10-04-04 18:49)

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: value of cruise insurance

Also another major cost, is in the case you need to be transfered via helicopter to the nearest hospital, that is very expensive, runs into the thousands and our regular medical insurance does not cover expenses like that, another good reason to have travel insurance.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Let's see:

Helicopter evacuation from cruise ship: $40,000
Onboard medical services for broken bone: $1,300
Canceled flight due to weather delay and meet boat at next port: $4,200
Treatment at Mexican Hospital for foot run over by cab in Cozumel: $1,600
Lost Luggage: $800

Having Travel Insurance to cover it: Priceless:

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 5th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Admiral

I would never cruise without travel insurance.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old October 5th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Admiral

Oh Mike,
Now that was priceless! Also those expenses can really add up and are not covered by our regular health insurance.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Admiral

would never travel without it, especially trip cancellation/interuption, and medical evacuation. Mike stated it the best.
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:09 AM
trish1c

In addition for some the value is in the peice of mind; apparently that's not an issue for you.

It does provide health insurance coverage while outside the US. Most policies do not. Obviously, if you have a job where you travel, your company may have gotten you out of country coverage.

The other thing it protects against is accidents that prevent you from cruising. If you get in a serious car accident a week before your trip, you aren't going on vacation. W/ trip insurance you get your money back.

It is a gamble & most likely if you have it, you won't need it.
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:59 AM
ctb

Thank you all for your replies. I had never considered all those factors before; certainly seems like a wise investment.
Old October 5th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Yeoman

It's kinda like all insurance... you complain about having to pay it but then when you need and use it you are glad that you had it. I always complained about paying car insurance until we had out car totalled by a 17 year old with no insurance and then our company (SF) paid all expenses and quickly. Within a week we had a figure for our car and my injuries. Only took 6 weeks to settle. We always buy travel insurance because we both had older, in poor health parents. you just never know what might happen. Just put in to the cost of the cruise and pay it off before you go. We never really miss the money. It also has come down in price. Have a great time.
Old October 5th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Terri Ann

ctb,

It is a wise investment. Like the commercial says (don't remember which one at the moment), I don't leave home without it. You just never know....

Terri Ann

VALOR 01/02/05
Old October 5th, 2004, 06:19 PM
JLKoag

I always hated to pay it, but in Nov, 2003 I had to cancel a 12 day cruise.

I got half back from the cruiseline, but the other half was about $3,300 - certainly worth the price I paid.

Looking at MikeM's post above, I was floored by the helicopter evacuation - and I am more of a supporter of the insurance now (wife and I are 60ish with some health problems - anything can happen).
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to CeCe

I found going independent with CSA to be a great source for travel insurance. They walked me through everything, answered several of my phone inquiries before I finally decided on a plan. Hopefully I won't have to use it; however, it's good to have!
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Passenger

We just informed our travel agent(from another state) that we can not go on our Cruise next month due to a surgery that was not expected.

We never bought insurance before and have no policy in our hand (Travel agency never sent us one)so we have no idea what is covered and what is not.

We have not recieved any travel documments so we have no idea what is the norm.
The travel agency is in charge of a 4 days Theme cruise with a well known Country Duo from Nashville and the booking could only be done through his agency.

We bought insurance , paid $3,000 for a 4 day cruise and now have no idea if their are restrictions.

Mike wrote the travel agent and told her that we will have to cancel as my surgery requires at least 6 weeks for recovery. I am having foot surgery and I am now at the point I can hardly walk soI have no choice.

My question is- shouldn't we have got a form showing we have insurance and with whom and what is covered and what is not? We secured this cruise back in February.

The cruise is with Imagination Carnival Cruise and Leaves November 18. We have never recieved a Carnival Cruise Reservation number or our room number even though I have been hounding the Travel Agency the last 2 months. She kept saying in October.

Last ,when she responded to Mikes email and said she canceled everything and we may need a note from my doctor and will have to fill out forms that will arrive in 4 to 6 weeks! Why do we have to wait 4-6 weeks to fill forms out is this normal?

Now we are just finding out on the web that not all insurance covers all conditions. I am worried that mine may not be covered and this Travel Agency is being Beyond Evasive.

I am calling tomorrow but I wanted pointers on how to handle this.

Thanks
C
Old October 15th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Familiar Face

One of my friends had booked a cruise to New Zealand.... pretty costly cruise. Her sister (cruising with her) became ill at the last minute. The travel insurance covered it and all money was returned. I don't like spending the extra money, but can't afford not to get it.

Voyager of the Seas
Old October 24th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Hendrik

That's a pretty sobering breakdown. Does anyone know if shipboard medical attention would be covered by a third party provider?
Old October 25th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: value of cruise insurance

Hi Hendrik,
Yes, anything that your regular health insurance company won't cover should be picked up by the travel insurance company. Just make sure to keep all your records and make copies to send in, once your insurance company settles the claim, send it in to the travel insurance company, at least thats how it worked for us.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:08 AM
dawcruiser

I will be taking my 14th cruise end of November 2004. I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT CRUISE INSURANCE.

I have been lucky I guess. But on the other hand my coming up cruise is almost paid for by saving from not buying cruise insurance. I have beat the game so long it is worth it not to buy insurance. I guess if I lose I will break even on cruise insurance.

I don't want to tell anyone what to buy or not to buy. BUT, read the insurance contract well before you buy it. Make sure it offers what you think it offers.

I don't buy it because I am diabetic and diabetes is one of the exclusions. I guess some plans could be better than others.

Don
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Beginner

We took our first cruise on June 30, 2003 and DID NOT purchase travel insurance. My father-in-law, who lived with us at the time due to health problems, became very ill the middle of June 2003 and we found out he had cancer and didn't have much time left. We didn't know if we would be going on the cruise or not, plus we DID NOT buy travel insurance. He passed away on June 26th, his memorial service was June 27th, he was buried on June 28th, we packed our suitcases on June 29th and cruised out on June 30th. He kept telling us to go on the cruise and everything will work out. He knew his time was near and made it possible for us to go on our cruise. We booked another cruise for July, 2005 and you bet your bottom we purchased Travel Insurance. Something very sad, but something to think about.

Cindy

CELEBRITY GALAXY - 06/30/03
CELEBRITY CENTURY - 07/09/05
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I will be taking my 14th cruise end of November 2004. I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT CRUISE INSURANCE.

I have been lucky I guess. But on the other hand my coming up cruise is almost paid for by saving from not buying cruise insurance. I have beat the game so long it is worth it not to buy insurance. I guess if I lose I will break even on cruise insurance

You'll need to to take ALOT more cruises with good luck to break even if you need to be medi vacd from a ship, or require surgery in a foreign port of call.
Insurance means MUCH more than cancellation insurance for the cost of the cruise ticket.

Just spending a few days in the ships infirmary can cost $5000. That's equal to quite a few $150 insurance policies.

Most of us could financially "tolerate" the loss of the cost a cruise if we had to... but that is just the tip of the iceberg of costs you might be faced with if you travel uninsured!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/