CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Time zone changes (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/244208-time-zone-changes.html)

dfwguy62-Rick October 4th, 2004 07:40 PM

Time zone changes

I think I know the answer to this but.... Does a ship observe time zone changes that may occur from port to port? Do I have to figure these out in advance so I can set my alarm clock appropriately along the way so I won't miss my early morning excursions? Or does the ship have a way of reminding us of these changes when they happen?

Rick.

3FOB5Paradise October 4th, 2004 07:57 PM

Re: Time zone changes

The ship rarely if ever will change the Ship's time. They plan all events by Ship's time, and excursions, and ESPECIALLY arrivals/departures. KEEP YOUR WATCHES ON SHIP'S TIME! Also find out the time difference between the ship and land.
They will only change the time if the cruise is a long repositioning cruise (IE Miami-los angeles, we changed ship's time as we went west) or daylight saving's time changes.

Donna October 4th, 2004 08:31 PM

Hi Rick,
If for some reason they do have a time change, they will let you know. Just be sure to read the daily news letter they leave you each day, it will be in there if you need to change your watch, but usually you just stay on the time it is when you leave the embarkment port.

Mike M October 4th, 2004 10:20 PM

Each night when you come back from dinner, the next day's news letter will be on your bed. It will tell you if you have to set the time forward or backward.

Take care,
Mike

AR October 4th, 2004 11:03 PM

It really depends a lot on the line and the itinerary whether they change ship's time. As others have said, they publicize it well.

Also note that on just about all of the newer ships there's an LCD clock on the telephone. This clock is slaved to ship's time, so if there's a time change, the clock changes. This is useful because it's also linked to the automated wake-up calls, so if you program a wake up call it will ALWAYS be on ship's time, whether there's been an adjustment or not.

Naturally, on long voyages, and especially crossings and Canal cruises, they do adjust the time, sometimes for several days running, so that you're not all goofed up when you get where you're going.

Darcy October 5th, 2004 09:11 AM

When I cruised in April 2004 the ship stayed on DST the entire time. Grand Cayman, Costa Maya and Cozumel were an hour behind the ship and Belize was two hours behind. I kept my watch set to ship's time and carried another watch in with me set to local time and found this helped us keep track.

C2 October 5th, 2004 06:54 PM

Norwegian will inform you by way of the Freestyle news and the captain will make a few announcements about time changes plus you will also get a separate card placed on your bed at night regarding time change information.

vclst October 5th, 2004 11:35 PM

Rick,

On all of the cruises I have taken, the ship has changed time to the local time for the port we were entering. As others have said, this is well publicized in advance, either by the daily newsletter, or by a card or flyer in the cabin.

Bill

fasteddie October 6th, 2004 07:16 AM

For some reason, Carnival does not change times. So you have to be aware when you are on a land excursion, or for that matter, shopping. If you think you have time to get to that shop for that had the cute little doo-dad, it may be closed due to the differing times.

NCL does change times on sea days to lessen the confusion. That way, you are in sync with the local times.

Ed