Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Best time to book flight?

I am cruising on the Inspiration Feb 19th. That is winter vacation for most schools. I am finding VERY high prices.

I was wondering if the prices usually go down after x-mas? And if so, would I still have a chance of getting the travel times that I want during that busy week?

Thanx in advance for any advice!!!

Carnival Inspiration Feb 19, 2005
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Best time to book flight?

If you live close enough to a bordering state you might want to try checking airfare from there. I live in Southern NH and have several airports within a two hour driving distance from my house, all in different states. I've found the airfare can vary sometimes as much as $100+ per person. Last year it was $200/pp cheaper for me to fly out of Boston MA than it was to fly from Manchester NH. Hope this helps.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old November 11th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanx Darcy,

I have been checking Boston and Manchester... I have thought about looking into RI, but since hubby is going to be driving me to and from... I thought that may be a liitle too far.

Old November 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Try Hartford too. It's a 2 hour drive for me but once we saved so much it was worth it.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Passenger

I hate to tell you but Airtran just had a huge sail. It was supposed to be for one day only but they extened it until last night. You may want to try to see if they still have any specials. We are flying out of Baltimore and it was only 135.00 round trip.
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Passenger

I meant SALE, guess I just have cruising on my mind!! :-)
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:21 PM
AR

Assuming you're flying to Florida, you're talking about high season, spring break or not. The kids will have booked up most of the low fares by Christmas (and they may well have done so already).

You might get lucky, but you have to be prepared to pay the price for flying at the height of peak season.

I'm not usually a worry wart, but the fact is that February is also roughly the time that many say USAirways may fold. If that happens, the available seats to Florida will be in very short supply. This is one of those times when it may be wise to protect your cruise investment by locking in your tickets on another carrier ASAP. It might also be one of those rare times when the protection offered by cruise air is a wise cover bet, even at a price that may not be the best.

Sometimes you gotta pay for your thrills.
Old November 12th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Admiral

there are no deals flying during school break, you will pay more. Its all about supply and demand. See if you can get in on a group rate from your TA. If you find a good rate, book it now as seats are going fast for February. Look into the cruise lines air, see what's available and what the routes are.
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:02 AM
First Mate

I agree with the high fares. We just booked airfare from our little airport nearby, and we expected to pay a little higher. The next closest airport is 100 miles, then 200 miles, etc.

However, we paid the BIG BUCKS! $572.00. Yow! But the next closest airport was $505 apiece and you still had to pay for parking. Why is it we always want to
cruise on spring break again???

Happy cruising to you,

mary

Old November 12th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanx all !!!

emjay.... froydian slip???

AR- Sorry..., Yup I am flying into Florida - Tampa

silver cloud.... I don't know about anyone else... but I am going at that time because that is when I was invited to go!!!!

Old November 13th, 2004, 07:03 AM
dragonflames

We live in Boston and we are cruising on the Victory on the 20th of February. I have been watching the airfares every single day for weeks. I finally decided to purchase my tickets for roughly 300.00/each and the itinerary is not good. We tried to do group (12 people) over the phone but it turned out to be much more. We were willing to travel to and from airports within 70 miles and still couldn't get anything better. I believe it's a busy time of the year for this route. The sales they advertised never included the Feb. vacation week. I would do it online through the discount agencies or NWA directly. HTH.
Old November 13th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dragonflames,

Sounds like you got a pretty good price compared some that I have been seeing! I guess I should just cut my losses and just book something already!

Thanx for the advice!!