Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Yeoman

Default Am I being scammed?

I got a quote from an online agency yesterday through Cruise Compete. I called them today to get further details & the price has gone up $800.00 for a balcony.....She says because it's a different category, but is that possible? Now their price is about $100.00 less than my own local TA, so I'm thinking I'll just stick with her. I'm just curious what you think of this? I'm kinda peeved myself..I was all excited about getting a great deal. I guess I should have known better.
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Am I being scammed?

Nancy, that agency is reputable overall. As the price is still lower than your local agency then you are probably getting a good deal. There is/can be a large differance between a balcony and lower inside and prices also do often change somewhat daily. The good part is that you can usually get the lower price if they go down but remember they cannot raise your price. <G>
Jim

Old November 12th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Pricing can be quite volatile. There's been times I looked at cruise pricing, thought about it, went back the next day to see prices go up by significant amounts.

Have also seen them go down a few days later.

No matter who you book with, get a promise that if the price goes down, they'll get you the lower price.

Then monitor those prices yourself to see if they do in fact drop.

Old November 12th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Nancy:
Quotes are only good at the time they are made. They do change rapidly unless you put a deposit down. If it was for a different category that could explain a lot.

I too have been a bit miffed with an agent. I received an email with a great cruise price and within one minute after receiving the email I called the agent, with credit card in hand, to book and she informed me that the rate was no longer available. She lost a customer after that. It may not have been her fault but it really rubbed me the wrong way. Don't send out emails with unavailable specials.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:38 AM
First Mate

You can also ask for a courtesy hold for a couple days to hold the price there. I've never booked through that company, but through ***edited to remove unsolicited advertising***

Good luck!!

Old November 15th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Passenger

MY BOYFRIEND AND I BOOKED ONE ON-LINE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, WE AILL ONLY GO THRU OUR LOCAL TRAVEL AGENT FROM NOW ON AND WE WILL NEVER GO WITH CARNIVAL AGAIN! THAT IS HOW BAD IT WAS, LOTS OF EXTRA CHARGES,PORT FEES & HANDLING, AND SERVICES CHARGES. MAKE SURE YOU GET A BOTTUM LINE PRICE( EVERYTHING INCLUDED)
HAVE A GREAT CRUISE
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Not sure what you are refering to as CCL does in fact give you the total cost including port fees and taxes just as other cruiselines do on their websites. Some on-line agencies, most notably these so called auction houses and bargain basement sites do have hidden charges but most reputable agencies show you the full price. In fact, Florida agencies by law must quote you the entire price.
Jim

Old November 16th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Passenger

That is very interesting, because this agency was based in florida. (around the orlando area). A three day cruise ended up costing us about three times what was quoted.
Old November 16th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Jim.. that's not quite accurate. The cruise line web sites don't generally include taxes in their quotes.

This is quoted from Carnival's web site.
Rates (U.S. dollars) are per person, based on double occupancy. Government fees/taxes and optional air transportation are additional for all guests. Rates are subject to availability and may change without prior notice. Restrictions apply.

The gov't tax portion is normally about $35-50/person, but it's not included.

Old November 24th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Bonnie J

ALWAYS ask if the price incules the port tax! Some online companies don't include that when posting their fees. Then there are always gov. taxes,etc. but no where near as much as the port tax. I have found our cruise agent is always lower than our local travel agencies. Her company books a bunch of cabins (as do the big cruise companies) and local agents can't meet their price. (We had a top cat. balcony on Golden Princess last year for $580- for everything, all fees!) Now we've got 8 days over New Years for 2 for $1600! looking forward to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was about same last month for 9 days.