Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Yeoman

Default New York port?

We are sailing on the Norwegian Dawn out of New York Feb. 27th. We will be driving down the day before. I'm wondering if there is somewhere about an hour away to stay in a hotel that might be less expensive than staying right in New York. Also, I have no idea where the port is in New York so I'm having trouble looking up hotels close to the docks. Could you please explain where it is? The address, and what it is close to?

I'm not sure we should take the chance on getting stuck in a blizzard the morning of the cruise and should probably just stay close to the pier the night before!
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks, Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:51 PM
AR

Default Re: New York port?

The New York City passenger ship terminal is on the western edge of Manhattan on the Hudson River, 12th Avenue at roughly 50th to 55th Streets, or in other words just North of where the Lincoln Tunnel enters Manhattan from New Jersey.

They have a perfectly fine internet site that gives you all sorts of information at
http://www.nypst.com/

You say you're "driving down," but since I haven't memorized the home towns of those who post here, it would be helpful to know from where you are driving.

If you've spent tons of time in New York and just spending a night before the cruise doesn't hold any interest, then you can stay anywhere you like on your route "down." If you want to stay in Manhattan, the closest hotels to the terminal (that are any good) are the name brand midtown hotels on the West side in the 40's and 50's. The West side is technically any address West of 5th Avenue, I'd look for a hotel on or west of 6th.

You say you're driving, and I assume you understand that parking in Manhattan is a subject unto itself, and that you've made appropriate arrangements. Many people make driving their last choice, especially when the car must be housed there for any period.
Old November 19th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Yeoman

Thanks for your help AR..Of course you need to know where we'll be driving from..Sorry about that! We are coming from Ontario crossing at Kingston and going south. None of us have ever been to New York and are not at all familiar with the streets or the location of any of the many landmarks we have heard of. We are planning on parking at the terminal I believe. I know it's expensive, but it's still much cheaper than 6 of us flying. Thanks again for your help,
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Old November 20th, 2004, 11:00 AM
AR

Aha! Well, that gives me more to go on.

Since you're new to New York, I would plan to squeeze in as much time there as possible before you embark. Wherever your cruise might take you, New York will probably be the most interesting place on your itinerary, so I would do my best to make the most of it.

Here's a suggestion, if you can pull it off: Work out your drive so that you pull into a nice little motel in central Connecticut or someplace like that on the second night before you embark. Then in the morning, haul yourself into New York, timing it to get you there just after morning rush, about 10 am. Once there, DUMP THE CAR AT ONCE. Under no circumstances should you attempt to sightsee or get around Manhattan by car. Instead, since you are six, I would highly recommend hiring a stretch limo for about five hours to take you sightseeing. You will probably find that on a per-person basis the cost is not too bad, and you will be able to select, with the help of the limo company, the places you want to visit. It is a very efficient way to go. Do this from about noon to six. Then go back to the hotel, clean up, have a snack, and head out for the New York nightlife. You can walk everywhere you'd want to go. See a show, go to a club, ogle Times Square, have a ball.

In the morning, either return to a place you saw the day before that really interests you, or pick one or two new ones that you'd like to see. Take a cab, or better yet, the subway (be brave, it's really no problem), and get a real feel for New York.

In the afternoon, head for the ship and you're on your way.
Old November 20th, 2004, 02:17 PM
dan p

If you look at hotel/motels in NJ,look around the weehawkin area.There are hotels on RT 3.Then you can drive down to where the ferry is and park your car there at $8 a day.then take the ferry across,I think it is $10 pp rt.And if you have bags with wheels on them you can walk up to the ship about a 10-15 min. walk.