Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:16 AM
Passenger

Default booking again while sailing - benefits?

I recall reading somewhere something about the fact that if you book another cruise while onboard sailing you can get really good deals. Is that true? Any advice on how to best do that?

Also, is it usually cheaper to book cruise + air with the cruise line, or is it cheaper to book cruise only and do the air separately?

I'm new to this, so I'm just looking to tap into some of the experience you all have.

Thanks,
Tammie

New Year's 2007 MSC Lirica
New Year's 2006 MSC Lirica
New Year's 2005 Carnival Spirit
Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: booking again while sailing - benefits?

I always do an advance booking when sailing princess, because they allow the deposit to only be $100 and you get a cabin credit ($50 for an outside for 7 nights). It's called an "open booking" because you don't specify dates, ship, etc and you have 4 years to use it.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:39 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: booking again while sailing - benefits?

Harry:
I just love Andy because of my Buddy (Maltese) anyway; I'm thinking of bringing my Maltese calendar with me, like you did, to put in my cabin so I can see him every day. I'm getting off the subject. Do you know if the deposit while booking onboard for a future cruise is $100, even if the cruise you book is longer than 7 days? I was thinking of booking a much longer cruise and was hoping the deposit would still be a $100, but probably not huh?
Happy Cruising.....I leave in about 10 days now for the Caribbean Princess yeah!!!!
Anita
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

We received $200 shipboard credit with RCCL for booking our next cruise onboard (9 night).

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Yes, No, and Maybe...<VBG> The facts are that you often get a very good deal by booking your next cruise while onboard. This can be through a cheaper rate, an onboard credit, or upgrades. The bad part is that you do not know if the airfares would be cheaper on your own than through the cruiseline. Often they are and you are better off booking the air yourself but always check as this is not always true. IN addition, you can still transfer this booking to your personal TA without any additional cost and your TA should be able to keep track of the pricing and get you a better deal shjould one come along. You of course can cancel your booking with no penalty if you do so outside the time limits so if you are pretty sure of your next cruise, go ahead, nothing lost and maybe something good gained.
Jim

Old November 24th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Anita,

You *should* bring your calendar .... honestly, it helped a lot in not missing Andy as much (as you know, they are a big part of our lives ... as I sit here, he's in my lap).

On your question, I was at the future cruise desk for about 20 minutes, so I can wholeheartedly say on Princess that if you do an open booking (or even a particular ship), the deposit is only $100 per person no matter the length of the voyage.

Also, as an FYI, the onboard credit is increased with a longer voyage. I want to say 10 days was $100 per person. Finally, I found out on our Diamond cruise that because we booked a mini-suite, they doubled our on-board credit to $100 pP for 7 nights.

Believe it or not, including tips, drinks and liquor purchases in the gift shop, our *total* bill for 7 nights was $67 - this because of the $200 on-board credit.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old November 25th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Yeoman

Since we started cruising again a few years ago, we now book on board. We get ship credit, can pick which cabins we want, dont have to plop down a lot of money, etc. Well worth it in my opinion. We do air too, but our AAA agent does that, and she still gets credit for everything even though we book on board!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old November 25th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Misbic

Just a quick question I hope someone can answer. If I prebook on board, will they match prices if I find it cheaper? I find all our cruises on line at some pretty good prices and hate to be lock in to "their price" when I always find them less expensive from the various cruise brokers. Thanks
Old November 25th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Admiral

You can transfer your booking to any agent afterwards and they will get you the lower price.
Jim

Old November 27th, 2004, 09:11 PM
CruzCrazy

I booked a 13-night cruise on Celebrity's Constellation onboard the Summit and received a $200 shipboard credit. Nice perk! My TA took care of the rest for us, boarding docs etc.

Wasn't sure if they would remember the credit, but it was on our seapass account when we checked.

I plan on booking a few short cruises on my next 12/13 RCL cruise. I'm trying to get up to Diamond member and the shorties are counted as well. Hopefully I will receive a small shipboard credit for booking onboard for these as well.