Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2004, 11:40 PM
monicakm

Default Men's Dining Attire...Will This Work?

Grand Princess, sailing out of Galveston to Western Caribbean in Jan. We
will NOT be doing the two formal nights. This is what we bought for DH for the
various dining rooms. Docker type pants in two shades of khaki and one pair
of black and one navy. Eight shirts, all collared...4 solid color polos,
one pull over (collared) print and 3 long sleeve button down the front, all to be worn with a belt. One pair brown "semi dress" dress shoes. Still need to find a black pair. At
this point we haven't bought ties or a jacket. He's not a tie person but
I'll make him wear one if he needs to. Will he be breaking any rules
(implied or otherwise) if he didn't wear a jacket? Again, we won't be doing formal night.
Thanks,
Monica
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2004, 11:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Men's Dining Attire...Will This Work?

Man ,Monicakm ,that sure seems like an awful lot of clothes.
Old November 28th, 2004, 12:28 AM
monicakm

Default Re: Re: Men's Dining Attire...Will This Work?

Oh that's just part of it <g> Three pair of shorts, two pair of jeans 4 more shirts and another pair of shoes. But what I'd really like to know is if he'd be appropriately dressed the dining rooms on informal nights. Not looking to be the BEST dressed, just acceptable attire.
Monica
Old November 28th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

That would be acceptable, but ditch the jeans....going to be too warm down in the Caribbean to wear them.

Old November 28th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Yeoman

i believe jackets are required for informal nites---its the casual nites that do not require a jacket

Old November 28th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Princess has done away with the informal nights and went with "Smart Casual". This is another nebulous term. You will see a few jackets in the dining room on a Smart Casual night but they will be the minority.

If you are not doing formal night this wardrobe will get you buy. I would try to twist the husbands arm a bit and see if he would go for the dark suit and try a formal night. He might like it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 28th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have to also agree with Mike, try to get to a formal night, those are really special and you'd be missing out on some great fun and good food those evening. If you do get a dark suit, they can be worn at home for lots of different occasions, so it won't be lost just getting one for a cruise, give that some more thought, then you'd need less of the "casual" clothes. There will be 2 formals and the rest casual, where the dockers and polo shirts are fine for.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 28th, 2004, 09:47 PM
AR

If this is a one week cruise, he's packing WAY too much stuff. If this is a two week cruise, he still packing too much stuff.

Why would you pack 16 men's shirts? Even for 14 days?

**Edited by moderator
Old November 29th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Yeoman

It actually did seem to me like too much stuff was being packed. Even for a 18 day cruise.

For me, I don't pack for more than a four day cruise. AFAIC, if I cannot afford to pay for, say, a seven day cruise AND pay to have all my clothes laundered at least once, then I should switch to a six day cruise so I can afford the laundry. But that's me.

At the very least, it seems to me that one shouldn't bring more shirts than the number of days of the cruise. Yes, I know sometimes one wears more than one shirt in a day, but quite frankly, assuming one elects not to have clothing laundered, that one can decide to wear a shirt only worn a few hours on another day. There is so much hassle involved in taking so much stuff that it seems well worth the investment, either in terms of paying for laundry or in terms of being willing to rewear clothing worn only a few hours, to avoid those hassles.

Old November 29th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Admiral

On all but the luxury lines the Semi-formal nights are pretty much the same as the Casual night now. I used to bring a sports coat for those nights but saw fewer and fewer people wearing them and on one cruise observed I was the only one with a coat on. Needless to say I now save room and leave it at home. I do however always take my tux and dress for formal evenings. It is just a nice thing and feels good to be dressed up with your wife, husband, SO, partner or whatever. Makes for a very nice evening.
Jim

Old November 29th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Admiral

waaay to many clothes. First off ditch the long sleeved shirts -you don't need them. Polos,collared shirts and hawaiian print shirts(Island Night) are all you need for Princess"Smart Casual" nights. As for formal nights, a suit is nice but not required. A sports jacket , dress pants, dress shirt, shoes and tie are fine. If ties are a problem you can always go with the button collared dress shirts
Formal nights are a blast, you really should consider them. The clothing is nothing more than something you would wear to an evening wedding at the local country club or better downtown hotel.
You can get 2 nights wear out of one pair of dockers.
i do pack a clean shirt for each evening
Old November 29th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Yeoman

Way too many clothes, how dirty does your husbands pants get? He will only wear them in the evening , so 3 pairs of dockers are more then enough. He sounds like he will be one of the best dressed casuals on the ship!
PS Most men only take one pair of dress shoes, sandels, and runners. Relax , it isn't a fashion show.
I agree about ditching the jeans, too hot and heavy.