Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Marina

Default Thoughts on cruising/flying 5 months pregnant?

Hi everyone. We are thinking of taking a cruise on Presidents Day week in Feb. At that time i'll be 21 weeks, around 5 months pregnant. Has anyone ever flown or cruised at that time in their pregnancy?
I'm really divided about it since this will probably be our "last hurrah" for a while, but at the same time I would'nt want to do anything to jeapordize my pregnancy.

I'm going to ask my doctor next week when I see him, but I wanted feedback from anyone who has ever vacationed while pregnant. I usually am a nervous flyer & I know I cannot take a valium on this flight!! But I flew 6 times last summer, and I think that really helped me dispell my fears. I actually miss flying a little!

I really would like to go away since DH feels that he would prefer not to vacation with a little one untill they are around 4 or so!

Any advice would be appreciated,
Marina

Celebrity~Horizon~Bermuda 6/03
Carnival~Paradise~Exotic West. Carrib. 8/03
Disney~Wonder~Bahamas 4th of July Cruise, 2004
RCCL~Explorer OS~ West. Carrib. 7/04
Princess~Golden~ South. Carrib. 8/04
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Thoughts on cruising/flying 5 months pregnant?

First, glad to hear you are checking things out with your doctor. Everyone is different at different times. Every pregnancy is different. I taught childbirth for 7-years, and I was pregnant with 3 beautiful babies. I know of many women who have flown into their 7-month without any problems.

I flew 2 times pregnant, with our 3rd. The first time was at 3-months to Germany. Whew long flight! Everything was fine. Drink lots of water and try, try, try to keep your feet up. Sling them over your husbands lap for a while. You will probably experience swelling. Drink lots, take a water bottle with you. Eat small portions etc... nothing that may upset your stomach. Go to the bathroom at least once an hour, even if you don't have to . Good circulation time. Rotate your ankles etc. Wiggle around in your seat so as to keep circulation flowing. Keep a small pillow at your back.

We went to a funeral in Lousianna when I was 8-months pregnant. Since I had to have my amniotic sac broken with both previous pregnancies and was very healthy my doctor said it would be ok. My father-in-law booked the flight. We flew Southwest from Spokane, Washington. We went up and down 8 times before landing in Lousianna! On the way back home, same. My sac sprung a small leak on the 3rd to last leg. I went to my doctor and was immediately sent to the hospital. After all the stress tests, fern tests etc they threatened me with hospital bed rest "to make it to 30-weeks." I am not good with this "un-natural" preparation so I insisted on another fern test. It was approximently 9 hours after the first, no signs of amniotic fluid. My leak had healed itself.

After all this.... It is probably ok for you to fly if Doctor ok's it, Just watch your schedule. The pressure of landing and taking off is the hard part on you and baby.

Have a blast, enjoy the cruise and flight. Have a wonderful pregnancy! Congratulations!

Old November 28th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

One thing to keep in mind is most cruise lines generally won't allow you to cruise if you are in your 3rd trimester.

Old November 28th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Admiral

I traveled (not cruised, though) when I was 7 months pregnant with no problems. Cole Family is right, drink LOTS of water and put your feet up. I would think a cruise would be a lovely, relaxing vacation. I was a total klutz when I was pregnant, so be careful with footing when you are on board.

I hope your doctor gives the okay!

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old November 28th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

As long as your doctor gives you the ok and you are not a high risk pregnancy, there should be no problem with flying or cruising (in fact cruising will be the easiest part! lol)

If there are any problems though (however minor), please think long and hard about being far away from specialized medical care....ships are not equipped to handle premature births or problems with the pregnancy....and if they set you off in a foreign country..........

Old November 29th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Yeoman

As posted, some lines wont let you sail past a certain point (earlier than the airline cut off). I believe RCI is you cant sail at 27 weeks +. Be sure that if you do go, you get a note from the dr saying its ok to travel, and a copy of your records just in case you need them in an emergency. Drink lots of water, and take lots of breaks. Dont forget to stay out of the sun as much as possible too since it makes for a funky mask on your face! If you have to be out, use sunscreen and a hat.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old November 29th, 2004, 09:29 AM
PeteB

My wife was pregant when we cruised last.

Our cruise line (Cunard) specified in it's 'small print' that passengers must not be in their 3rd trimester at ANY STAGE of the cruise package, and furthermore - they had to be informed of the pregnancy together with assurances concerning fitness.

So, (as she was borderline) we took these steps:-

1. Get a letter from your Dr. specifying how many weeks pregnant at the time of the cruise
2. In the same letter, get the Dr. to specify 'healthy and able to take a CRUISE' (not just travel)
3. Inform the insurance company (so that they cannot wriggle out of contract if needed)
4. Take all relevant medical notes with
5. Inform airline of pregnancy and request a bulkhead seat (with lots of legroom) (However, pregnant passengers on aircraft are not allowed to occupy an emergency exit seat - which tends to have loads of leg room). If any of your blood relatives have suffered DVT or Pulmonary Embolism - tell the airtline as this puts you in a higher risk group.

We did all this and everything was fine.

My wife took the added measure of buying elegant shoes without high heels just in case we encountered rough seas. She said that walking around in choppy weather made the bump bounce around a bit!!! (In a nice way!!!)

You get lots of attention onboard - ohoooooo - you pregnant? Is it your first? Do you want a boy or a girl? This can be both nice and tiresome.

All in all, my wife thought that it was the ideal thing to do at that time. She did not have any problems and it was an excellent way of spending two weeks of her pregnancy.

Good choice Marina :o)
Old November 30th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Marina,

My DD was suposed to go on a cruise withme in during the same week in Feb. She will be 24 weeks by then. She talked to her Midwife who told her that she should be fine and that a nice relaxing cruise would be good for her by then. She, however, decided that she doesn't want to go, because some of the excursions that we have been planning have rules against participating if you are pregnant (Dolphin Swim and Horseback riding). She thinks that she will be bored while we are off on the excursions. You may want to take excursions into consideration. I think Carnivals policy is that you have to be less than 27 weeks to cruise.

Post Edited (11-30-04 09:33)

Carnival Inspiration Feb 19, 2005