Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to LindaGG
Default Luggage locks

I am leaving on the Grand Princess Dec 11. I need to purchase some locks for my luggage. Are there any regulations about the what kind of locks you can use? Do they scan your luggage or check it while you are there? Also how big can your carry on luggage be? Are there any disadvanges of carrying on a 22" with rollers.
Thanks,
Linda

Old November 29th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Luggage locks

Linda:
If you are not flying then you can have any locks on your luggage that you wish. The size of your carry on has to be roughly the same as one that would be taken on board a plane. It must fit through a scanner that is the same as the airport. A 22" roll on may be too large.

If you are flying then you will either need TSA approved locks, use cable ties, or leave the bags unlocked. If you lock your bags and the TSA needs to open them they will cut the locks off and the locks will no longer function. I suggest going to a Wal-Mart or local hardware store and purchasing the cable ties.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Yeoman

If you lock your bags and the TSA needs to open them they will cut the locks off and the locks will no longer function.>>>>

unless you use tsa approved locks--they have a master key at all airports--so they can open your luggage-inspect- and relock

Old November 29th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Yeoman

If you have TSA approved locks, TSA agents will generally key them open instead of cutting them off, unless they are rushed for time.

Old November 29th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

We used cable ties. Made it from CA to FL without them being opended. On the way home they were all cut off. They work great, just remember to put a small clippers in the outside of your checked luggage so you can cut the ties.

Old November 29th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Admiral

I highly r4ecommend the cable ties as they are cheap and even though they will not prevent theft, you will at least know if your bag have been opened. Check the contents immediately and notify the local police, (NOT the darn rent-a-cops), in addition to the TSA. Have a report filed by the local police and insist upon it being taken and get the case number. Sorry, while I am sure many TSA agents are honest and hard-working there are too many reports and documented cases of them stealing itmes to trust them much.
Jim

Old November 30th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Passenger

I would strongly suggest the tsa locks-we had used these on a coulple of our bags (they only had 2 at the shop i purchased them at) and used the old standard key locks for a couple of others (we figured if they got cut off they got cut off) we were not so lucky as to have the old locks cut off-the airport used an electric drill through the key holes and then were "kind enough" to relock the locks on the 2 cases. fortunatly the hotel that we stayed at prior to our cruise was able to locate a pair of bolt cutters to remove the old locks so we could get into our suitcases. I found out that the tsa locks (at least in august) were not widely available (in fact 2 international airports i went searching for them in had luggage shops that asked for the name of the chain store i had purchased mine at in order to contact them to find a suppplier) we finaly located them in a port that had an ace hardware store.

after being one of the lucky recipients of a random luggage search (post cruise with all of our dirty laundry strewn across a table for the world to see) and our recent trip wherein a portion of my son's clothing came up missing upon our arrival, i am to the point that unless i can wear it or carry it on with me it's not going ( or it will be put into a box and mailed ahead of time to our precruise hotel, and mailed back prior to going to the airport).