Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:57 AM
First Mate

Default Upgrade Question, CM staff please advise

We have an April cruise booked on the Carnival Valor. We booked a balcony cabin
8C. I picked a certain cabin based on its location on the ship and other factors. The
cabin was booked and upgraded during one of Carnivals sales. My question is about
that cabin possibly being upgraded. We do not want an upgrade. I know it sounds
silly, but we want the location of this cabin. What do we do if we find we have been
upgraded. Should we request not to be considered for an upgrade or just wait and see,
or since we already received and upgrade when we booked, don't worry?????
Thank you Cruisemates staff for you valuable advice. I appreciate and love this website.
You all do a super job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy Sailing...............
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Upgrade Question, CM staff please advise

Cruisingbears:
If you booked a specific cabin you will get that cabin. In the VERY unlikely event that you are offered an upgrade you will have the opportunity to decline it. If you had originally booked it as an upgrade then contact your agent or Carnival and tell them that you DO NOT want any more upgrades.

Make sure that your cabin number is on your confirmation and check online at
https://funpass.carnival.com/SignIn.aspx This is where you do your pre-registration and it will also show your booking information.

Upgrades are done with guarantee cabins and not with specific cabin bookings.

Take care and enjoy that cabin,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 30th, 2004, 10:18 AM
First Mate

Dear Mike,
Thank you for your reply. We cruised in Sept on the Sensation and had booked a certain
cabin. We were upgraded, which was very nice. I know that this usually only happens
with a guarantee booking, but it happened once and I guess it could happen again.
Thanks again.
Happy Sailing...............
Old November 30th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Yeoman

happened to us on the zaandam a few years ago--from a mini suite to a full and we have been spoiled ever since

Old November 30th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Terri Ann

Default Re: Re: Upgrade Question, CM staff please advise

Mates,

I booked a specific cabin on the VALOR for January 2. Category 4a, interior. Found out last night that I was upgraded to oceanview 6b. I know it is usually not done unless a guarantee is booked, but it happens. We are happy with this upgrade. Same deck, the Main, but we have a window now and an extra 35 square feet for the three of us. First time cruising with Carnival, booked 7 months in advance, so maybe luck, new ship, nice people at Carnival, or excellent TA, doesn't matter, we are pleased.

Terri
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Now I have a question for all of you that have been upgraded. Were you notified of the upgrade before it occured and did you have the opportunity to accept or deny it, or did it just happen?

The issue is that in many cases an upgrade isn't an upgrade. You may go from a outside to a balcony but it could be under the night club or the galley or another undesireable location.

I know that it is not a common occurence but with three responses in such a short time it may be becoming more common and I may have a new learning experience.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old November 30th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Terri Ann

Mike,

My upgrade just happened. No prior notification. I checked online and found we are in cabin 2331, 6B, Main. We are partially under the restaurant and the exterior walkway, about midship. There may be noise early am getting the room ready for meals and some passengers may be walking above us, but we are early risers and it takes a whole heck of alot of noise to disturb our sleep. I originally booked room 1317, 4A, Riviera, with 2 uppers. (VALOR) I booked June of this year. Anyway, bottom line is that we are pleased with the extra square feet and an ocean view window without obstruction. Next time we may go for a balcony. Hope this helps with your questions.

Terri
VALOR 01/02/05
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Passenger

I have tried unsuccessfully to find out if my cabin has been changed on the Carnival.com site and can't seem to do the book/modify thing. It always goes to an error. Is there some other way to do it? We booked nite owl rooms and I am sure they aren't going to upgrade us, but it doesn't hurt to look (and hope!)

Kathy
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:20 PM
gerif

Sailing HAL to Alaska - a preboarding check-in had been set up in the precruise hotel across from the pier. When we checked in there on the morning of the cruise, we were access cards for a different cabin than was noted in our cruise docs. I insisted that this was NOT our cabin and was told we were upgraded from an oceanview to a balcony! Never did find out why (it was our first time sailing HAL), but it spoiled us tremendously!
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Terri Ann

vtkd,

When is your cruise? I kept trying the book modify thing also, but then someone told me to wait until at least 40 days out to try. I kept getting the error message. I tried at 40 and it did not work until 34 days out. I was told the reason to wait is that they are getting the room assignments in place and "tweaked" around 40 to 30 days out. Keep trying, hope this helps.

Terri
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:47 PM
First Mate

Dear Mike,
We were not notified of our upgrade. We were upgraded from cat.11 to cat.12 on the
Sensation. The lack of notification to accept or deny the upgrade is what I am concerned
about. Thank you.
Happy Sailing.............
Old November 30th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Passenger

We are going in 47 days (not that I am counting!) but I will try again when we get a little closer.

Thanks.
Old November 30th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Hmmm,
This is interesting. I usually book an aft balcony cabin. On Carnival this is usually a Cat 11 and on RCI it can be a D1 or JS. I would be VERY angry if my cabin was changed without my knowledge, even if it was to a higher grade cabin.......................well maybe not if it was a Royal Suite but I would not consider a Cat 12 an upgrade from an aft balcony.

I would be interested in hearing more peoples experiences with this. This could be a new trend with the cruise lines.

Take care,
Mike

Old November 30th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Cruizin K and J

Mike, we were upgrade on the QE2. They notified us by mail. But the original boking was not a guarantee. I can't remember now what the category was, but they upgraded us to the biggest cabin we've ever had on a cruise ship. Would have felt totally spoiled if they storms on othe crossing hadn't been so severe.

Judy
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Admiral

I'm with Mike in that this should not be done without your permission. Maybe your TA took it upon themselves to approve of the upgrade. If you want the cabin you booked just tell you TA that you whant THAT cabin and no chances are to be made without your approval.
I am also confused at the statement that you will have 35 additional sq ft of space from the inside to outside cabin. Unless this class ship is differant there is no differance in size between inside and outside cabins.
Jim

Old November 30th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Terri Ann

Jim,

That was me with the 35 extra square feet. I went to another site that gives the stateroom details for the Conquest class, including the VALOR and it states that the interior rooms are 185 sq. feet and the oceanview are 220 sq. feet. The 6B category. The 6E are 230. I can only go by what I read. I was surprised by the change in room assignment, but in this case it is okay by us. When we booked, we just picked an interior room from the deck plan that was close to elevators and around midship. I will keep in mind for the future that sometimes a so-called upgrade is not necessarily a good thing.

Terri
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:54 AM
JH

Default Re: Re: Re: Upgrade Question, CM staff please advise

I was wondering about this too. I have reserved a specific cabin aboard the Pride for 5/05. It is cabin 6232, the one with the super long balcony but a catagory 8 cabin. It's a quad cabin however, and it's just my husband and myself. I wonder if they would bump us if there was need for a quad. If that's the case, would it be an upgrade or just moved to a similar 8 category balcony. And if we were to be bumped, would we be notified.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:48 PM
Passenger

For what its worth, this is what I was told by a HAL onboard cruise consultant when I booked onboard:

If you book a specific room AND indicate "no upgrades", you will get that room and will not be considered for an upgrade.

If you book a specific room and don't indicate a preference, you are liable to possible upgrade and may not be notified.

If you book a specific room AND indicate "will consider upgrades", you or your TA should be notified to give you the chance to decline. Note the "should".

That said, some people who cruise regularly and have the same TA will probably have one that "knows" their preferences from prior cruises and will put in the appropriate preferences. If you are a first timer, you are less likely to have a preference stated and more subject to the "upgrade fairy" as they try to fill the ship.

If you really want that specific room, contact your TA and have them put a "no upgrade" on your reservation.

Post Edited (12-03-04 13:56)

Volendam Panama Canal Repo
Statendam to Hawaii 2004