Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2004, 02:17 PM
Beginner

Default Bonine or the sea patch

Which is better for motion sickness Bonine or the patch? I heard Bonine is the same as Dramamine.
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2004, 02:52 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Bonine or the sea patch

Well I believe Bonine has less side effects (sleepiness, dry mouth) than dramamine. The patch works well but I didn't use one last cruise. We didn't experience any problem that a bonine couldn't help!

Old December 2nd, 2004, 05:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

RSDR:
The only one that can give you an accurate answer is your doctor. There are many different reasons why one may be better for you than the other.

The Patch(Scopolomine) is a prescription medication and has more side effects in most people than Bonine (Meclizine).

Bonine is advertised as being a "non-drowsy" formula but for many people it does cause drowsiness. It is sold over the counter.

Neither will make you better once you become truly seasick. They must be taken as a preventative.

There are other alternatives. Ginger tablets have actually gone through double blind studies and been proved to relieve the symptoms of motion sickness in a majority of people.

Many people have reported that they have had excellent results with the acupressure "Sea Bands" but there is no medical evidence that they work.

Sorry I couldn't give you a one or the other answer but as I said, your doctor will give you a better answer.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:28 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Ditto what Mike M said.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dramamine has become a generic term, like Kleenex or Xerox. As a result, Bonine, which is a whole different medication, (meclizine hydrochloride, if I remember right,) is sometimes marketed as "Non-Drowsy Dramamine", simply because that's the name most people are so familiar with. It's better all around-- lasts up to 24 hours, as compared to 6 for dramamine, and doesn't leave users as drowsy. And despite what previous posters have written, it HAS worked quickly for me even AFTER I started to feel "green", on a smaller ship in rough North Atlantic waters.
If that "awful feeling" hits you, take a bonine, lie down and close your eyes-- a lot of the problem is caused by the disconnect between what your eyes see (a normal-looking room) and what your inner ear senses-- so with your eyes shut, there's no contradiction. In an hour, you'll feel a lot better-- maybe even hungry!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 07:32 AM
Easy Goer

Just to clarify, Dramamine® products are produced by Pharmacia Consumer, which was acquired by Pfizer in 2003.

Dramamine® Less Drowsy Formula
Active Ingredient: Meclizine hydrochloride 25 mg

Dramamine® Original Formula
Active Ingredient: Dimenhydrinate 50 mg

Pfizer also manufactures Antivert® in various doses. Its active ingredient is also Meclizine Hydrochloride.

Bonine used to be manufactured by Phizer as well, but it divested its Bonine franchise in North America in 2003. Bonine has the same active ingredient as Dramamine® Less Drowsy Formula and Antivert®: Meclizine Hydrochloride.

Tim
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:40 AM
Admiral

It all comes down to you. Do you get severe motion sickness when traveling in the car, plane or train? If so then you should get the patch from your doctor.
If you suffer from mild motion sickness when traveling in the car, plane, train then i would go for the Bonine.
I would still bring the Bonine even if you don't suffer from any kind of motion sickness, as a just in case. Bonine does work when you take it at the first sign of the queezies.
Gingerale works great for me. I will have a glass of gingerale in my hands especially the first night and next day, until my body gets used to the motion.
Having some carbs in your stomach at all times also helps alot.
Fresh air and activity is the best cure for the queezies. Laying down without any medication is the worst thing you can do if you feel the queezies coming on. Get up get outside into the fresh air, go for a walk or a swim, focus on the horizon - don't look at the water. You will be just fine.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:20 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Bonine or the sea patch

I take Bonine every night at bedtime on a cruise....so if it makes me sleepy who cares? <s>...It works very well for me///

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old December 4th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Admiral

We always use Bonine on our cruises, one chewable tablet in the morning, and we've never had a problem.

If you do get hit by the ickies, my suggestion is to get OUT of the cabin, go on the main deck and get some fresh air and look far at the horizon, not at the water. And do not stay in an enclosed room.

Better to prevent than suffer! Happy cruising!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:49 PM
jean pierre garnier

I take a bonine every 24 hours and have had wonderful results in very rough weather even though I am prone to severe sea sickness. Some doctors absolutely refuse to Rx the patch because of potentially severe psychiatric side effects that can be destructive
Old December 15th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Yeoman

friend of ours was taking bonine on our last cruise and was feeling drowsy--she cut the tab in half and was fine ---body size and weight is an important factor

Old December 16th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Admiral

I've never used the patch, but do take Bonine. On my last couple of cruises I have just taken 1/2 pill a night. Even though it is a "non-drowsy" formula, it still makes me tired.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old December 19th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Passenger

We cruised over Thanksgiving down to Baja & I was worried about the motion sickness factor, especially since I was in my first trimester of pregnancy. Dr said Bonine ok but no Dramimine. Turned out that I didn't need to take anything, no sickness for me! The first night at dinner I was feeling a little "strange" between the movement of the ship and how they blink the lights off and on while the stewards are dancing, but not so much so that I couldn't eat. I say relax and try not to think about it too much because the mind can play tricks on you!

Carnival Paradise
Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

I went to the nature food store and bought a totally safe product that had no side effects that even my kids could take. If you have a store like that near you, check them out.

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin
Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I was worried when I first cruised as I had always gotten seasick very easily in small boats (ie tours when visiting islands, deep sea fishing, ect.). First cruise I took 1 dramamine pill the entire time (4 day cruise) and the second I took 2 Bonine pills the entire time (one because we were doing a shore excursion that was on a small boat most of the day - this was a 7 day cruise). We were lucky in that we had smooth seas. I didn't really feel much motion at all. I preferred the Bonine as I found it had less side effects for me.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Passenger

Bonine is my choice, 1 tablet a day. I had no drowsiness, etc. Worked great. ON my recent 10-day cruise to Panama I struck up a conversation with a woman who had the patch. It was irritating her skin and she was going to have to take it off. I mentioned the Bonine and suggested she check with the ship's doctor about taking it if she had any concerns and IF she could find some at the next port. We saw each other later and she mentioned she had removed the patch and had gotten Bonine and everything was great. As many have metioned previously, check with your own personal physician who is familiar with you and ask about Bonine. Happy Sailing.