CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   no irons, how 'bout steamers? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/244447-no-irons-how-bout-steamers.html)

Gibby1208 December 5th, 2004 07:40 PM

no irons, how 'bout steamers?

Thanks for the input on irons. That's the way is was the last time that I cruised. However, I have had several regular cruisers advise bringing a steamer. Advise?

Jim Bragg December 5th, 2004 08:06 PM

Re: no irons, how 'bout steamers?

It is a good option as they are supposed to have auto-cutoffs and therefore safe. We have a travel steamer that is quite compact and works pretty good.
Jim

AlinPA December 6th, 2004 06:53 AM

We picked up a nice compact travel steamer from Magellan, but I think there are probably cheaper ones out there. We had no trouble with using it on board.

lougee1043 December 7th, 2004 04:12 AM

you could also hang your clothes in the shower and turn the hot water on
there is also a aerosol can called fabrize that works pretty well

Shelli December 7th, 2004 07:40 PM

I always bring a steamer, but I hardly ever have needed to use it. I think the last time I used it was about 3 cruises ago! I pack each of my outfits on a wire coat hanger that's then put into a plastic dry cleaner's bag before being laid out in the suitcase. It's amazing how wrinkle-free it keeps my clothes, and unpacking is a total breeze. Also, I bring along a spray bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release (but be careful-- put it in a zipper bag in case it leaks!), which I find works very well.

LisaK December 8th, 2004 12:13 PM

i have yet to use one. i hang the good dress clothes in the garment bag while traveling. If you unpack right away and hang up your clothes most of the wrinkles will fall out. IF that doesn't work, i will use the iron in the self-service laundry room. The steamy shower works well also.

DonD December 8th, 2004 12:17 PM

They will not allow a travel iron BUT they do allow smoking in the cabins?

Is this correct?

silver_cloud December 16th, 2004 07:48 AM

Yes, the downey wrinkle release works very well! I was very skeptical but it won me over. I do regular ironing at home, but also use it in between.

I didn't realize we weren't supposed to bring a travel iron...oops!

CruzCrazy December 17th, 2004 04:22 PM

I like the steamer. I have a Hamilton Beech one I bought at Walmart. It works really well.

Bring it just to have for peace of mind.