Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Soleil

Default Kite?

This is a really weird question!

I'm bringing a couple of kites with me on my cruise to fly on the beach with friends. Do you think Carnival would be annoyed with us if we tried to fly a kite from the top deck?

Realistically speaking, I'm not likely to run the risk of ruining an expensive kite to try it, but it seems like an interesting idea. I was just curious as to whether that was something that anyone had tried.
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Kite?

On our Cruisemates cruise on Carnival Legend we were denied permission to fly kites off of the stern. The next day we saw a person flying a kite off the stern. A security person went over and spoke with him. He just wanted to make sure he was using a strong line. <Go figure> So the official policy on Carnival is no but.............

On Celebrity the Cruisemates group set the record for the most kites flown off a ship. I think the number was 15 in the air at one time.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

You might be able to, but you need to clear it with the ship (to make sure wind conditions are favorable so people on decks below would not get hurt if your kite made a sudden "dive.") I was on the Summit and it was a really neat sight to see......but it had to be cleared with the Captain first.

Old December 14th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Soleil

Default Re: Re: Kite?

Hmm.

Since we'll have the kites anyway, we might just see what happens if we get a nice day with mild winds. We can always ask, the worst they can say is no, right.

I did some googling out of idle curiousity and apparently there are some riverboat cruises that not only allow it, they encourage it. I'm not really a riverboat cruise kind of girl though.

Perhaps my kites and I need to cruise Celebrity next time out. 15 kites at once? That's excellent...any photos of this around? I'm guessing the wind wouldn't allow for stunt kites much, but it must have been really something to see.
Old December 14th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Like Mike said, we did it on the Summit a couple years ago but we did jump through quite a few hoops first. IN addition it was denied on another CM cruise. The reasons really are quite obvious as there is the liability question if it comes down and strikes someone and there are envoromential issues if one goes over the side. A silly as these reasons may seem, unfortunately they are quite a real concern in today's world. I might also point out that it is really much harder than you may think to get the darn thing up due to the swirling winds.
Jim

Post Edited (12-14-04 17:52)
Old December 15th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall

Did a search of the photo gallery here and there is one gallery that I found that had pics of this event........I missed it, but some very good friends of mine were there and had a blast.
http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/view.php?id=449

Old December 15th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Lisa,

We did have fun, didn't we?

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old December 15th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Yes, Ray, we had a blast! That day, that whole cruise, was a once in a lifetime experience and the friendships forged on that cruise will be lifelong.

I can't encourage all of you enough to join in on a Cruise Mates cruise. Unbelievable fun!

Old December 16th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Admiral

Yes, Ray, we did have fun!!!! It was a great time - and one day we will cruise together again....tell Helen I said Hi!!!

Old December 21st, 2004, 07:22 PM
CindyK

AWESOME PICTURES!!! THANKS FOR POSTING THEM!
LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE HAD A BLAST