Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:56 PM
Mary R.

Default insurance

Hi,
I am in the process of purchasing insurance for my cruise and am wondering if anyone has any experience with Travel Guard. Is it a reputable company? I've read that it is not always wise to purchase insurance thru the cruise line. I am booked with Carnival. Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mary R
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: insurance

Travel Guard is a reputable seller of insurance. I have purchased insurance from them but, luckily, have not had to use it.

I am not an advocate of cruise line insurance. I feel if covers them as much as it covers you. Go with a third party insurer that will cover supplier default (the cruise line) and one that will cover all portions of your travel. This includes, airlines, luggage, rental cars, health, evacuation, etc.

A couple of things to remember.

Buy your insurance as soon as you book. For most policy this eliminates the "Pre-existing Conditions" clause.

Make sure you are adequately covered for off shore medical and medical evacuation from the ship. Medical evacuation from the ship can cost $30,000 +.

http://www.insuremytrip.com is a good tool to use for comparing different insurers, their costs, and coverages.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:57 PM
Mary R.

Default Re: insurance

Thanks Mike for your information and suggestions. I was very sad to hear that you need to buy the insurance as soon as you book. I booked my trip over 2 months ago and thought I could buy the insurance later. So now, I will not be covered for the pre-existing.

I didn't realize it would cost over $30,000 for evacuation from the ship, although I knew it would be expensive.

Thanks again,
Mary R.