Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:27 AM
gatorclaw

Default how are tablemates selected?

I asked this in the Carnival forum, but I'm just getting a lot of speculation (which of course is fine, but I would like to know 'the real answer').

Does anyone know about dinner tablemate selection? Is it random? or based on certain demographics? (age? cruise experience? etc)

Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: how are tablemates selected?

I think it's booked on age and who is in your group. Last time we requested a BIG table (my idea, since I think sitting with just another couple is too restrictive if you don't click) with another family who also had kids in their group.

Sorry this is still speculation, hope you have a great time!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old January 7th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Carnival does ask for your ages when you book.... and they set similar age groups into "groups" and then set their table assignments, within each age grouping, as well as using other information, like singles travelling together, or families.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 7th, 2005, 11:27 AM
gatorclaw

Kuki, thanks a lot. I like people's personal stories just fine, but I was looking for just what you responded with. Keep up the great work.
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:08 PM
First Mate

I have wondered that also. I am traveling with my best friend and it would be fun
to have other "non-family" people to dine with! My girlfriend is single, so preferably a good looking guy would be a plus!

Old January 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Too bad they can't match personalities....we got stuck with another family on our last cruise. The 17 year old son wasn't so bad, our son even ended up hanging out with him, but the 15 yr old was a real idiot. He kept harrassing the obviously busy waitress with stupid questions like "can you bring me a hot ice cream cone?" and crap like that. I cannot believe his parents didnt' tell him to cut that out. She did not want to be rude and would listen to him, but it was obviously that she had better things to do (like give us great service, which she did!) than listen to his idiotic ramblings.

Sorry to sound off, but I just had to vent...I eventually made an off-handed comment and it may have made him think a LITTLE bit!

On the other hand, we met some gals from NY who was VERY interesting to talk to. One of them was involved in the tranportation system there as well as elsewhere in the nation. Wish we could have sat with them...

Oh well! Any cruise is a good cruise!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Jamiegunter

Well I will share my 4 cruises experience. We are a married couple in our late 20s and early 30s. The first cruise, there was a mix. Two older couples, and then two younger around our age. Secound was us and my brotherinlaw and sisterinlaw, another two couple pair traveling together probally 20 yrs older than us, and another couple our age. Third Two couples of mothers and daughters(they took their moms on a cruise), us, two single women that didnt know each other, a older couple. Fourth cruise we picked a table for 4 but the other people never showed up so just us. So I think they put ya were ever
Old January 8th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Yeoman

I don't think they put you according to age groups always. There is a 13 year age difference between me and my husband. If we are at a table for 4 -6 which age group would they place us with?
We have been on 5 cruises. The only group we haven't had sit with us is family's (thank goodness). So, Not so sure this is how they determin your seating assignment.
Old January 8th, 2005, 12:29 PM
First Mate

Hi:
I've always wondered about that myself. We've been on 32 cruises and I have our 33rd booked for this September. I asked my TA once and she said it was according to demographics and age, but that doesn't seem to always be true.

Our last cruise, last month on the Caribbean Princess, we requested a table for 8 to 10, and we were seated by ourselves. We didn't mind it, but that's not what we requested and it was the first time it happened that way. In a way I was kind of glad. For the first time in all our cruises, I felt really sick at dinner one night and it was sitting in front of me and all I wanted to do is run back to my cabin because I felt so sick and 24 hours later I was able to eat again. First time this has ever happened and I don't know what caused it for sure. It was one time it was just my dh and myself, so when I did get sick, I didn't have to explain to everyone (except the waiter) who looked at my plate and wondered what was going on......

I guess I don't know how they decide to seat you where they do?

Happy Cruising....Anita