Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Yeoman

Default LEGAL Marijuana users

Question for LEGAL use of marijuana only.

Here's the question that nobody seems to ask. First of all, I don't smoke marijuana. I am a legal grower though. In my state, I'm legal to grow and have a certain amount of the product.

Question, I understand that I can have it in my state but what about going from state to state then on a cruise ship? There are some cancer patients who use it and need it. What do they do while on vacation? Suffer?
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: LEGAL Marijuana users

Any person traveling anywhere is subject to obeying the local laws. If you break them you do so at your own peril.

Old January 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Yeoman

That was kinda my question. What IS legal going from state to state? I won't do anything if it's illegal. The laws within each state are clear but there's really nothing linking the states.

I have no intentions on taking any. Like I said, I don't smoke it. I do have a "client" (I guess that what she's called), who I grow it for. She has cancer pretty bad. Marijuana helps her get through the day especially after a tough round of chemo. Although she's not going with me I'm curious to know if there's anybody else out there who needs it but can't take it with them because the laws are so new and unclear.

Post Edited (01-07-05 17:33)
Holiday May 2000
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think they are pretty clear, if you take marijuana on a cruise ship and they find it when you board, while on the cruise or get off the ship they will turn you over to the authorities. I think they would consider it an illegal substance under any circumstances and having lost my own mother to cancer I can certainly sympathize as to the pain.
Old January 8th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Doesn't matter what YOUR State says, FEDERAL LAW says it is illegal and you WILL be prosecuted if you are caught with it. In addition if they can show you are transporting with the intent to distribute you will serve a very long sentence for trafficing. I am not going to get into a debate about if this is good, bad, or indifferant. I am telling you what the law says and what you can expect to happen from a law enforcement officers point of view.
Jim

Old January 9th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Passenger

Thanks Jim. So it's the Federal law that kicks in when you cross the state lines.

I wasn't looking for a debate either. Just curious actually. The lady that I'm helping had NEVER touched the stuff before she got breast cancer. She's like me, very little drinking (if any), no tickets of any kind and certainly no drugs. Her doctor suggested it because she didn't want to take a bunch of chemicals/pills. She told me it was so relieving that she cried. I feel so bad for her. She's only 32.

My prayers go out to all of those affected by cancer.