Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Beginner

Default Afraid to cruise

I want to cruise, but I am terrified of height, very bad. Are there areas on the ship, or boarding where this will be a problem?
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Afraid to cruise

I also was afraid to go on a cruise, fear of falling overboard and slight fear of heights. Finally, I booked us on the 4 night Carnival Fantasy. Right up until the time we boarded, I kept telling my husband that "I can't do this." Boy was I in for a surprise. We had a great time. As for the fear of heights, DO NOT GET A BALCONY ROOM. Also, as long as you use the main elvators and not an atrium elevator, you should be okay. Another time you may have a problem is during the life boat drill. We had to go to an outside deck to see where our lifeboat was. I'm sure if you mention something to the crew in charge of the drill, you may be able to stay inside the doorway. As long as you don't go on the upper outside deck, you should be okay. I know at least on the Fantasy there is plenty of room to walk in the middle of the pool deck, so you shouldn't have to go near the edges. Maybe think about trying a 3 night Carnival cruise. Carnival has a vacation gaurantee.

This is from their website-----

When it comes to fun, Carnival's got you covered. We're so confident you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise vacation, we offer the only money-back guarantee in the cruise industry.

Simply book your "Fun Ship" vacation and sail away:
If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise experience
Notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you may debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call.
Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.*

I hope this helps you out. I wish I had cruised along time ago. My husband and I are planning our next cruise. It wasn't has bad as I was making it out to be.

Have a great day.

Cheryl C
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Yeoman

Don't worry about it! You can choose wether or not you want to look over the railing. The ships are so big that you won't see "down" unless you walk ALL THE WAY over to the edge. Even our life boat drill was in an enclosed type area. I couldn't have seen down if I tried.

Don't miss out on half the fun though! Will you miss seeing the port from the ship? We saw dolphins alongside the ship while out at sea! The sunsets are breathtaking too.

Have a fantastic time.
Old January 8th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Passenger

I have a huge fear of heights and we took the Carnival Conquest a couple of years ago and got a balcony suite. It didn't bother me at all. We are going on RCC Mariner of the Seas this June and have a suite booked again with a balcony, wouldn't do it any other way. The ships built so that it doesn't seem like you are up as high as you are, and I never felt as though I was going to fall, I felt very safe. Go for it you will enjoy it. The balconys are nice to be able to get outside and sit in peace and quiet.
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:13 AM
claude gareau

Good morning

One sure thing, on a cruise ship, you're at sea level !!!!
The boarding,depending where you board from,is generally
off a gangway ,ending up at deck4 or 5.
The highest point you'd want to be on a vessel is deck 12,
no more than 90-95' from water level,ever.
Select a cabin on the lowest deck ( 3 or 4 ); you'll thus be
at the most 10' or so from water level. Good waves will
actually splash you window.
The only " height " you'll encounter is what you SEE, not where
you will be, specially if you take an Alaska cruise.

Depending where you come from and where your ship leaves
from, you can avoid flight(s) to/from,by driving, using rail.

You'll defenitely enjoy cruising.
Cheers
CG