Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Default Drugs and ships

Based on some questions and remarks we have received in the past I thought you might be interested to know that this weekend at the port of Jacksonville 11 people were stop from boarding a Carnival Ship and arrested for possession of drugs. The drugs varied from marijuania to cocaine, herion, and even mushrooms! These people were not together nor did they know each other. They just thought they could bring drugs with them and 'have a good time'. The ship is now at sea and these people are 'having a good time' sitting in the Duval County jail awaiting arrainment for various drug charges.
Jim

Old January 9th, 2005, 07:46 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Drugs and ships

Jim,
Amazing, Drugs( illegal ) have no place on ships with Cruisemates
Hooray for Security!!

To the Cruise
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Admiral

I agree that illegal drugs have no place on cruises or anywhere else for that matter I will point out that ship security had nothing to do with these arrests. A combined task force of our local Shefiffs Office and Homeland Security were there with thier dogs and...well let's just say the dogs took a good deal of 'interest' in 11 individuals as they were trying to board. <VBG>
Jim

Old January 9th, 2005, 11:18 PM
claude gareau

GREAT !!!!!

Whether on a cruise ship, Greyhound Bus, local shopping mall
or the community church, what's wrong IS wrong..
The law IS the law, whoever you are, wherever you might be.

Better they were caught BEFORE boarding....how disturbing would it
have beem if happened 3 days at sea....

Cheers
CG
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:49 AM
RMT

YEA, hopefully they'll be in jail for a very long time.
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:31 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Drugs and ships- (humor to it)

Sorry couldn't resist some tongue in cheek humor for a critical and job well done by security.
This popped into my head, quickly jotted down:
(Sorry couldn't resist some tongue in cheek humor for a job well done by security. Just off the top of my head

Just sit right back and you'll read a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip,
That started from this tropic port,
Boarding a Carnival ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man,
The skipper brave and sure.
Eleven passengers set sail that day,
For a seven day tour, a seven day tour.

The dogs started getting rough,
The people would be tossed,
It was the drugs that made the trip tough,
Their trip would be lost, Their trip would be lost.

The ship set sail without this group,
No Marijuanna,
Nor mushrooms too,
The heroin and cocaine,
All evidence,
For this fateful group,
Here at Duval County Jail.

Please take my rhyme with a light heart for an important subject.
Brings new meaning to a cruise to nowhere.

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Admiral

When I heard of the drug bust I thought they were talking about the Cuban cigars confiscated, and owners arrested, upon disembarkation.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 12th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

I must say that I find all this glee at their downfall unseemly and distasteful-- am I the only person who feels this way? Drug policy in most countries, ours included, is thoroughly unscientific and irrational. If we were to ban the drugs that do the most harm in terms of lost years, ruined health and shattered families, tobacco and alchohol would both be gone as legal substances. I mention this not as an advocate of a return to prohibition, but just the opposite-- treating addiction as a medical rather than a law enforcement matter, and not bothering people who aren't bothering anybody else. I've been topside at night on a cruise when a few of my fellow passengers were enjoying a "funny cigarette". Guess I must be some kind of degenerate, because it didn't bother me a bit.
Old January 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Yeoman

I've seen more violence come from a drinker than I have a pot smoker. There are some hard drugs out there that should be pulled off the streets by police yet I agree that there is a medical (mental really) problem out there.

An old neighbor of mine shared his past with me one day. He explained in detail how they made . . . I think it was crystal meth. It included ingredients such as sulpher from matches and nail polish remover with acetone. I'm still shocked that people will actual injest or inhale that! Those same people probably wouldn't suck on a match though. What are people thinking these days?

When we drive somebody with obvious drug problems (rotten teeth, jerky movements, talking to the light pole), I tell the kids "This is you on drugs. He looks cool doesn't he?". At 21, 20 and 17 years old, my kids haven't touched the hard drugs.

Holiday May 2000
Old January 12th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Easy Goer

Jeph,

I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly. There is a German word, "schadenfreude", that means malicious satisfaction in the misfortunes of others. It is never a becoming emotion, regardless of how "bad" the others may be. I think it's terrible to wish long jail sentences on people we know nothing about and who haven't even been convicted of a crime.

I've always believed that drug abusers need help from society, not jail time. (Reiterate: we don't know that anybody arrested was a drug abuser anyway, only that they allegedly had drugs on their person.) Prison isn't going to disuade anybody from using or abusing drugs. It should be reserved for those who commit crimes against others, IMO. Also, there is ample evidence that even drug abusers can turn their lives around and become productive and very successful, given a chance. I'm sure President Bush would agree with that fact.

Just my two cents.

Tim
Old January 12th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Gee, you think OUR drug laws are tough? Try getting caught with them in those ports that you will be visiting! Our jails are a playpen compared to them. I am not gleeful that they are suffering, I am gleeful that they are removed from interfering with my cruise and they are not having 'misfortunes'. They knowingly broke a law and were aware of the consequences for doing so. It is not up to you, or me to judge what laws are correct and should be followed. It is up to our system of laws that we ALL have a say in and have to obey what the majority says is proper.
Jim

Old January 12th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Yeoman

You're right Jim. Law are laws and they should be followed. You steal, you go to jail. You shoot somebody you go to jail. It's too bad we can't implement some sort of mandatory drug rehab policy. If you're caught with any type of drug, you go to drug rehab for a few days. Repeat offenders get more time in rehab each time. ?? What do you think?

Holiday May 2000
Old January 12th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Happy cruiser, I like your plan...as long as they are paying.

I prefer legalization of all drugs. Of course, I am for legalization of all "victimless" activities. I also believe that if someone screws up their own life, it is their responsibility to either fix it or die.

A law is a law. The worst laws are those that are selectively enforced. I don't like law enforcement officers making choices on which to enforce or who to charge.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old January 12th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Not a bad idea Happy as most do need help in kicking this debilitating habit. I do think they should work off their keep just as I think all prisoners should contribute to help pay for their housing. As for Cops picking and choosing what laws they enforce. Happens all the time. You have a choice of stopping a DUI or somone rolling through a stop sign, you pick the DUI. You can either get a shoplifter or a robber, you nab the robber. You catch little Johnny who is a good kid with half a joint and who is scared witless, you might let him go where you stop Bill with a big baggie who is always in trouble and you know he steals etc but have never been able to nail his little butt, he goes to jail. Simple common sense and priorities. You have to be fair but you also need compassion and reasonable judgement. You also never place yourself as the punisher or go above the law yourself. In the case of little Johnny the DA would look at you like you were nuts and drop charges as they have too much to do in the system already. That would give little Johnny the idea that he can get away with it whereas I can scare the heck out of him and maybe keep him from doing it again.
Jim

Old January 12th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Jim, you and I just disagree on how we perceive law enforcement officers. You consider them on par with Angels at the side of god while I see them as imperfect human beings, just like the rest of us.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old January 12th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Being one I think I have a better insight on who they are than you. Yes there are bad cops, always have been, always will be. But the percentage is very, very small, and we tend to weed the bad eggs out pretty quickly ourselves. Nothing a cop hates more than a dirty cop. As for the number or percentage as a whole, no other profession comes close to the integrity, honesty, and willingness to help others than police officers. They literally lay their lives on the line every day for there fellow man, many of whom treat them with contempt. I get reports sent to me every day about Officers killed in the line of duty working to save our friends and neighbors and even those that quite frankly, don't deserve to reside on this planet with decent people. I'll get off my soapbox before I say something that violates the TOS.
Jim

Old January 12th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Ever notice how people who do drugs defend them and their use? Ever notice how people who smoke defend their smoking and claim it doesn't hurt anyone but them ?
Ever notice how an alcoholic always says he isn't one ?
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Easy Goer

This is an interesting thread.

Marc,

I agree with Jim that selective enforcement, per se, is not a bad thing simply due to the fact that, as he pointed out, there are always finite resources and hence, the police must prioritize. However, this point raises a very serious question about the incident in Jacksonville: what the heck are Customs agents, who should be protecting our borders from threats, doing using valuable resources to assist local police officers in making misdemeanor arrests? To use Jim's analogy, this is a case where we know people are plotting to get into the United States to blow up buildings, but Customs is too busy writing speeding tickets to people leaving to bother looking for them!

I don't think this an appropriate use of Customs personnel. We don't have the resources to check more than a small percentage of the cargo containers coming in to the country --any of which could contain terrorist weapons. But somebody decicded we can spare Customs personnel to check outbound cruise passengers for some marijuana hidden in their crotch.

That's a misprioritization of our homeland security forces. It will be tragic if the resources for another 9/11 type attack get into the U.S. because of it.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Tim
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Yeoman

Jim is right. Most people get into the police force to help others and make this world a better place. Not only am I one who wanted in, I personally know at least 40 officers. There are a few bad cops but I believe the stress of the job may have pushed them into it. When a police officer finds and arrests a known child molester then the judge has to let him go, that tears you up. When an officer finally gets that kid who's been burglurizing the neighborhood and the judge gives the kid probation, it makes you want to give up. I could go on and on. You get the idea.

This country shouldn't have to pay for any of the legal costs or Incarceration costs for somebody who has been found guilty. I also think that if you have been given a life sentence . . . ok, now you've got me started! Just don't get me started on welfare.

My favorite saying (a little off subject but I had to throw it in) . .

If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie Odonell fat!

Holiday May 2000
Old January 13th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Actually therse "Customs" agents are now all part of Homeland Security which is the blanket agency where immigration, customs, DEA, Coast Guard and some others have all ended up being placed in one basket. When they are there checking people getting off and the ship is unloaded what would you want them to do, go for coffee? The just worked with the local guys who brought out the dogs and busted those will illegal substances that were now getting on the ship. I don't think they were distraced to the degree that Osama got off the ship and entered the USA at Jacksonville. These guys did a good job and deserve to be commended. Nobody hurt, and some people off the streets, (and in this case ship), that were doing criminal activities.
Jim

Old January 13th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Remionds me of those who I stopped for speeding or some other traffic violation and they caomplained that I should not have stopped them but gone after a robber, burgler, murder, or something like that. I just simply asked which whatever and where was the guy and I would promptly go get him. In the meantime I was taking care of the things he has asked me to do, stop those other drivers that were doing wrong, and he was the other driver that everyone else was looking at and thinking, good, they stopped that bad driver. <G>
Jim

Old January 15th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I hoped to provoke a bit of discussion-- looks like I succeeded!

Jim, you're quite right when you note that we all have a say in what our nation's laws consist of, and how they might change. I'm not alone in hoping that our laws WILL change to better reflect science, fact, and common sense in the matter of drug policy, as opposed to the way it is made now-- dictated by the fear & trembling of politicians terrified that they might be tarred with the career-crushing brush of being "soft on drugs", which is the current-day equivalent of the 1950's "soft on communism". And as you may be aware, an ever-growing mass of cops, prosecutors and judges, appalled by the vast misallocation of resources represented by the incarceration of millions of "small fry" users, is coming around to this position, even if our "leaders" are still too scared-- or silly-- to make a change.

Respectfully, "jeph"
Old January 15th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Admiral

We also used to target certain people that we knew were the bad guys and were more strict about enforcement on them. Probably not done now or at least as often but back then 20 years ago if I saw Joe Crackhead roll through a stop sign or toss a hamburger wrapper out the window he got stopped and got a ticket just so he would know I was watching him and also give me a chance to look at him a bit closer whereas Mr Upright Do-good got a wag of the finger with me reminding him that what he did was wrong. Is it really right, maybe, maybe not but it darn sure makes sense. You have to do what works for who you are dealing with.
Jim