Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Passenger

Default Homeland Security

We Have GGroup of Woman going on a Cruise 2 Single 2 Married and 1 Divorced (Ladies Long Weekend). Our TA has said that the Married Women need their Marriage Licences and that the Divorced needs her Divorce Decree. Has anyone ran into this or is she just being extra careful?

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:32 AM
booboo4031

Default Re: Homeland Security

I have been both married and divorced and have never needed either and have been on 15+ cruises. The only reason I could possibly see for the marriage license is if they are traveling with a birth certificate as opposed to a passport the last names don't match up. The marriage license would be a legal document showing the change. As for divorced, I can't imagine why I would travel with my divorce decree except to celebrate <lol> If the last name on your license matches your birth certificate there should be no problem and if you're traveling with a passport, the passport can be amended if you are going back to a previous or maiden name. It just seems like a lot of extra paper if all the names on your docs already match.

Old January 12th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Admiral

My DH and I sailed in December on Carnival Fantasy. We both brought only birth certificates not passports. Even though we have been married 20 years, I brought a copy of my marriage license, just in case. This is what the Carnival advised when I call them with your same question. It was okay since it was only 1 extra piece of paper to carry. My surprise was that I still had the original certificate. Anyway, no one questioned the difference in my names. Guess we just looked like an old married couple .
Old January 12th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Your TA is wrong. There is no requirement that you are married, divorced etc. Now if you are using just your Birth Certificate and a photo ID that shows you with a differant name then yes they 'could' ask for your marrage certificate or something that shows why a name change but it is doubtful they will do so as it is widely known American women usually take the name of their husbands. Safe side, bring it, best side, get a passport. <G>
Jim

Old January 12th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If you do not have a passport you should have all legal documents that show the reason your name has changed from the name on your birth certificate. Will you have to show the additional documents? Probably not, but you may have to.

You cannot count on officials, check in personnel, or anyone else who needs to see the documents being reasonable or using common sense in all instances.

The best way to avoid all of the questions and hassles is to get a passport. You will need to send in all of these supporting documents in order to obtain the passport and after that you can put them in your safe deposit box and never again need them for travel.

Take care, have fun and a problem free cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all of the Helpful information. I am one of the Single ones and have only to bring my BC so I will pass the advice along to the others. Again Thank You.

Old January 13th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

I was never asked for my marriage license when I sailed using my B.C. and driver license, I have since gotten a passport and will use that in the future but I would think that since your drivers license has your birth date and given name that match your birth certificate that would be enough. On the other hand would you really want to chance not getting on board cause you didn't bring one extra piece of paper?
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Cruisingrandma

I carry my marriage certificate with me in my documents. But they have alsways said dont need it. i still take it. Jsut in case.....