Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Passenger

Default Hotels - New York

Leaving on transatlantic from NY in May and the Princess is charging 236 per person for transfer and hotel for 1 night. We know that the ship is docked at the NY City Passenger Terminal at 711 12 Avenue.

Any suggestions on a hotel close to the terminal. Know hotels are expensive in NY as are cabs but thought we might be able to do better than $500 for 2 for 1 night.

I understand they offer transfer from airport only if you take the above deal.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2005, 08:24 PM
CruzCrazy

Default Re: Hotels - New York

I just sailed out of NYC in October and I stayed in NYC 3-nights pre- and 3 nights post-cruise.

I went on Priceline and bid on a 4-star hotel in the Midtown West and got the NY Hilton and Towers on 53rd and Broadway for $125 a night and bid again on a four star but in Midtown East and got the Waldorf Astoria also for $125 night (total about $145 after taxes).

The NY Hilton was a fabulous hotel. Nice room, restaurant available and in a good location. Even though the Waldorf is a historic hotel, the rooms were dated. When I go back up on my repo cruise this May I will bid again for the NY Hilton and Towers.

It only costs about $20 to take a taxi from these hotels to the pier on 12th Avenue.

Try Priceline, you will save some money.
Old January 12th, 2005, 08:25 PM
JLKoag

I think you would like the Marriott Marquis - I certainly do (about $250 per night).

Right in the theater district, near some great restaurants and near the tickettron where you can buy show tix for 50% - IF YOU HAVE THE TIME, TRY TO SEE A SHOW - I NEVER SAW A BAD ONE - MAMA MIA IS GREAT!!!! Also, if you like deli food, there are lots of places to go, and the coffee shop in the hotel is very good.

In any event, see the website hotels.com - but don't pick one too cheap or too far from mid-manhattan - they can be dreadfull.

Let me know if you have any questions - I go down there for work a lot - I live in Albany, NY.
Old January 12th, 2005, 08:44 PM
CruzCrazy

If you want to spend $250 for the Marriott Marquis that's fine, but I think that hotel gets top dollar because it's right in the theatre district. Why would you want to stay there and pay double the price for a room. Personally I think you can do a lot better on Priceline.

If you can get the NY Hilton and Towers which is only about 10 short blocks from Times Square you can use the extra money to go see a show. Plus this hotel is out of the crazy Times Square area.

I ordered my theatre tickets online and saved enought to see two evening shows. The Producers (which I highly recommend) and Wonderful Town.

I would never stand in the half ticket line, you will be there all day, it's not worth it. The lines were so long, I would not even consider it.

I worked in Manhattan on 50th and 6th Avenue for 12 years but moved to Miami 15 years I couldn't believe how crowded Times Square was even on a Tuesday night for theatre. The tourists are always in that area.

The best place to eat are the salad bars that also offer good hot food as wekk. These places you pay by the pound and they are great. You can even get a good nice breakfast for about $5.

NYC is very....very expensive. On our first morning there we went to have a basic breakfast and it cost us over $30...yikes, also a TGI Fridays in Tiimes Square was double of what I pay in Miami. We found some nice pubs on the side streets where the locals eat and had a better dinner for much less the price.

I then found out about the salad bars and ate there for the remaining 3 days in NYC.
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Andee

We've gone to TKTS lots of time, and generally have waited in line about an hour; even when the line looks enormous, it tends to move quickly.
Old January 13th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Good Evans

Default Re: Re: Hotels - New York

We found the food in the Irish bars to be go and reasonable, and the steak etc were great.
Old January 13th, 2005, 07:32 AM
First Mate

You might want to check out the New York Sheraton Hotel and Towers. It's on 53rd and 7th Avenue. We've gotten fairly good (less thah $200 per night) rates there off the Sheraton web site. The rooms are good, and the location is good also. there is a subway right outside the entrance, and the downtown bus stops right across the street. You can walk to anywhere from there and it's not that far.

Don't know how much a cab to the pier would be......
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Admiral

i have read on these boards about hotels just over the bridge in New Jersey that are very nice, much less expensive than in New York proper, and that some have shuttle transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier. Might be something to look into.
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:56 AM
First Mate

What town do you do a search on for the less expensive hotels? Also, how much do you then pay in taxis to get to the normal NYC attractions?
Old January 13th, 2005, 03:04 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Hotels - New York

I disagree with Lisa. If you're going to stay in New York, stay in New York. The last thing you want to do is to have a nice dinner, go to a nice show, have a nice after-theatre drink, and then worry about getting back across the river.

The way to experience New York is to stay out late, then walk (not necessarily in a straight line) back to your hotel when you're good and ready, with no logistical restrictions or limitations. Or, to quote ol' Blue Eyes. .

"I wanna wake up in the city that never sleeps"
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:12 PM
First Mate

I am 100% in agreement with AR...New York is a walk around town...the lights in Times Square...Rockafeller (sp?) Plaza....5th Avenue....and a hundred other places you just can't appreciate if you don't walk.....if you are going to spend 1 night, spend it in the City...you won't be sorry....
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have to echo AR and Sid. If you have never experienced New York you will regret not doing it. Saving one or even two hundred dollars is nothing compared to the enjoyment you can have in one day and night in New York City.

Try Priceline and bid a four star hotel in any of the Midtown districts and you should get a good hotel for somewhere between $100 and $150. You will have to take a cab to the pier but the Midtown areas will put you closer to the hot spots of Manhattan.

Having enjoyed New York City I would be depressed looking out of the window of a Hampton Inn in New Jersey and seeing the sky line of New York and know what I was missing.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 14th, 2005, 05:17 PM
First Mate

What attractions would say to see in New York. I think we will have about three free days there.
Old January 14th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Lizzy:

A Broadway Show.
Rockefeller Center
Empire State Building
Window Shop on 5th Avenue or do more than that.
See if you can get tickets to a taping of Letterman, Conan O'Brien or some other show.
Take a horse drawn cab through Central Park.
Take a walk down Broadway.
Visit Ground Zero
Ellis Island
Statue of Liberty.

Have a great meal at many of the deli's, restaurants, and ethnic eateries all over. There are countless other things to do and other folks probably have many more ideas. But these will probably keep you occupied for a few hours. :-)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 14th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Beginner

http://www.nycvisit.com/home/

Check out this web site, you can search what area of town you'd like to stay. I know you can get a much better deal on your own.
Old January 14th, 2005, 07:05 PM
AR

Two more general suggestions, Lizzy:

1. You should do some homework and try to tailor some of your sightseeing time to the things you already have an interest in, whether it's art, food, media, sports, you name it. Because, believe me, New York has it all.

2. Use the subway and busses. It's not hard, it's not dangerous, it is fast, it is economical, and it is efficient. Besides, it's another way to experience the city. There are transit maps all over the place, and if you spend a couple minutes working things out you'll find it's a snap. Plus the concierge/bell stand at any decent hotel can give you transit directions to almost anyplace. Transfers between subways and busses are free.
Old January 14th, 2005, 09:29 PM
JLKoag

Mike M and AR - RIGHT ON!!!! Perfect advice. Personally, I LOVE the shows (never saw a bad one) and the deli's are great!!

Also, if you have never been to NY, and you expect rude people, you are going to be disappointed - NOT SO - not even in the cabs!!!

Been going for business for 28 years, and love it. Made many a friend down there. jlk
Old January 15th, 2005, 07:39 AM
First Mate

Let me add one more suggestion....a ride on the Staten Island Ferry at night!

It leaves from the tip of Manhatten right by Battery Park. The trip takes about 20 -25 minutes one way. The view at night of the lights is spectacular. You also pass near the Statue of Liberty which is also lit up. Once you get to Staten Island, just get off, then get on again and do it all over again.

The best part is that it's free, and in New York, that is not the norm.

You can get there by bus or subway. we have done both, but lately have preferred buses. You see more and you don't have to climb up a lot of stairs to get to the street.

Sid1962
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:36 PM
CruzCrazy

Being an ex-New Yorker and had worked in Manhattan for 12 years, I agree with the above, stay in New York City. You have to be in Manhattan to appreciate all it has.

I was just up there this past October for 6 nights and will be back this May for 3 nights.

I would suggest taking the Circle Line 3-hour Waterway tour around Manhattan island. You can also do a double-decker bus tour. They also have a night cruise as well.

I used to laugh at the tourists when I worked in Manhattan, but now I'm one of them and love it.

Take the subway and buses (but get a map). I never get lost uptown, but downtown is another story. I need those numbered streets and avenues. I just love to walk the streets of Manhattan, wear comfy shoes....those subway grates are a killer.

Ifyou have never seen a Broadway play, you should go at least once. Tickets are very expensive even on the web, so you might want to try the half ticket booth. I've heard that the one at the South Street Seaport is not as busy as the Times Square one.

As far as rooms go, I noticed my $125 bargain at the NY Hilton and Waldorf last year are now going for $160. It might be the time of year, I haven't booked those yet, but will do so on Priceline. I placed a bid for $130 and got shot down, but I will book my rooms in the next two weeks to lock something in. I always go for a 4 star and I like to stay in Midtown West or East.

Try Priceline or Hotwire, you will probably get more for your dollar and will be a nicer hotel.
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:14 AM
First Mate

A really small and elegant hotel is called The Muse, 130 WEST 46TH STREET
New York, NY 10036. It is spotless has a 4 star rating and I have seen it. The rooms are great and slightly larger than Marriet Marquis. I believe they have their own website just do a search for The Muse Hotel. It is located right off Broadway. I gave my son and his wife a gift of tickets to Phantom of the Opera and a night at this hote. My daughter-in-law loved it so much because robes were available without even asking for them. She said it was first class all the way. I agree with everyone stay in NYC two great places to eat on Broadway is Sardi's and Carmine's.
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Just for Chuck, to the top of the heap so you can find this.