Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Yeoman

Default Rear balcony cabins

Hey gang,
posted this on the rccl site too. what are the pros and cons of stern balcony cabins? Have been in balconies on Voyager and the Princess grand but never had a rear cabin. now we are booked on the Legend of the Seas and am wondering how the diesel smell might affect it. Thanks for any info
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Rear balcony cabins

Anne,

I havent been in a stern cabin on the Vision Class ships (which Legend is one), but I did sail the Legend and loved it.

Stern facing cabins are wonderful! And I'd opt for one of those every chance I get. Have one on Jewel of the Seas in a couple of weeks and can't wait.

Even if the balconies weren't any larger (which they almost always are) just the view of the ships wake is worth it.

And we've never had a problem with soot, or noise etc in any stern cabin we have managed to sail in.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 16th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Captain

Default Rear balcony cabins

I agree with Kuki. After 5 aft cabins, one on the corner, I will attempt to book this type of cabin every time. There will come a time the cruise lines figure this out and start charging us more for them, but have fun till then. Check my photos in the gallery.
Click "photo gallerys" at the top of the page.

Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Anne:
I have had five, aft balcony cabins and I have only had a problem with any exhaust fumes on the SS Norway. Those fumes were only noticeable while anchored. On the Norwegian Sky, now Pride of Aloha, on two mornings we had a small amount of soot on our chairs. We had to wipe them off before sitting on them. Otherwise that is it.

The other thing I can say about an aft balcony is that you may notice a bit more vibration on some ships that use thrusters. This will happen going in and out of port. Other than that they are, in my opinion, the best cabins on the ship. The view is great and most of the time the balcony and the cabin are larger than other cabins of the same category.

Take care,
Mike (Who books aft balconies whenever he can)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:02 AM
Yeoman

Thanks guys for the info.
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old January 17th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Admiral

I was fortunate enough to have an aft corner balcony and loved it. We loved it so much that I have one booked for our Jewel of the Seas cruise in 12 days and another one booked for Mariner of the Seas next February. The only complaint I've really heard about these cabins is that you have further to walk! . But that suits me fine.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:58 AM
PediRN

Following this conversation....got a question. We are booked on Diamond Princess in cabin A749. This is an aft corner cabin. By ships layout it looks like the balcony is a little smaller than other balconies. But when I look at pictures that are posted, it looks like the depth might be a little less but width is greater. Not sure what to do as we are waitlisted for mini suite. Will probably get the call about the mini suite as we are number 20 on the list and sailing isn't for 15 months. Really would like to keep aft cabin but would like a nice balcony. Does anyone know anything about aft cabins on Diamond? Just trying to decide what to do. Thanks for advise.
Chris
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Rear balcony cabins

Has anyone done an aft balcony cabin on the Destiny? Thinking about booking this. My main concern would be motion in this type cabin compared to midship. Thanks.

Post Edited (01-19-05 09:22)
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Passenger

Anyone been in room 1692 on the Navagetor Of The Seas(arf cabin back of ship) We want to know if the sofa bed will hold two people(we were told it is a queen size sofa bed but I have my doubts. Also how is the view we are used to a side cabin will our view be blocked by anything. How is the noise level windjammer is right above and it is a adjioning room will we have noise from our neighbors? How's the balony view and would you booked this room again? Thanks
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:43 AM
Admiral

So glad to see this post! We peeked into an aft balcony cabin on the Glory and decided that's what we would book next time around!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

redsoxx and kmbb,

I would suggest that you also post your questions on the Carnival and Royal Caribbean boards. You will probably have a better chance of getting a response to a specific cabin question on those boards.

Redsoxx: I will also be interested in seeing the answer to your question. The deck plan does look like that cabin has a small balcony but I have a hard time believing it is that small.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Thanks Mike, I'm new to this posting thing, I'll try to get to Royal Caribbean site and post my question there. I'm not very good at the computer and getitng on the internet.
Hopfully the room I booked will be fine, just getting to go on a cruise and have a balcony will be a treat. My kids have no idea yet that we are going . I'm surpriseing them in two weeks with the information. IThanks again, KMBB
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:22 PM
First Mate

How do you book an aft? I requested one when we booked our cruise in August (we sail april 2, 05) and were told they don't release them until just prior to the cruise because they save them for bigger groups...is this TRUE or are they playing with me?

Royal Caribbean I mean.

Old January 25th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Passenger

We have a rear balcony junior suite reserved on Mariner of the Seas in June. I just looked at the deck plans and told my TA which cabin number we wanted of the available ones, and she booked it. We booked it before Christmas. We have never had a aft cabin before, but we have friends that have and they loved it. We can't wait.
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Passenger

Same information as beachlover, we just told our TA what room we wanted and she bookedit. We also book early (last November) for our cruise in June on the Navigator. Can't wait never have had a back room, hopefully we will like it. I don't know too much about the room(1692 deck 10) so if anyone has had this room or you know anything about it let me know, Thanks KMBB