Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:56 PM
cricket55

Default Lost luggage

We are flying from Toronto to Memphis and changing planes to San Juan with only 50mins between flights in Memphis and they are calling for snow in Toronto on flight day. We are therefore concerned that even if we make the flight connection, our baggage may not. Can you tell me what happens in this case as far as getting our luggage to us? We are staying overnight in a hotel in San Juan pre-cruise. Does the cruise line deliver your luggage to your hotel or the ship or are you responsible to return to the airport to get it? Worse case scenario and the luggage does not arrive before the cruise departs, what happens to it then?
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Lost luggage

NOrmally you will have to leave your name and someplace that they can contact you when your luggage arrives. You will then be responsible for picking it up at the airport. If it doesn't make it, it will just sit there at the airport until you return and pick it up. The best thing to do is make sure you have the things you HAVE to have with you in a carry on bag. Most lines allow you to caryy on either one or two bags and purses and briefcases and laptop bags don't count. There is no defination of how large the purse is and believe me, I have seen some VERY large ones. <G>
Jim

Old January 19th, 2005, 03:33 PM
AR

Have to disagree slightly with Jim.

Every time our luggage has been late (and it's happened many times), we've been given the option of coming back to get it or having it delivered to our hotel or to our home. This happened most recently in New York last May. I've always been given the option of having it delivered.

Most often, if the bags have just misconneced (which is what you're worried about), by the time you get where you're going the information on your bags' rerouting will already be in the computer. That means when you go to the baggage service office, they'll be able to tell you right away what flight they're on and when they will arrive.

Take your necessities in a carry-on bag and try not to lose too much sleep over this.
Old January 19th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Not sure if this is true at all airports but certainly hope it might be. Thanks AR for your input.
Jim

Old January 19th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Lost luggage

Cricket 55

We flew into San Juan 17th December via AA. Heathrow to JFK to San Juan.

There were approx 80 people connecting to San Juan via the flight from Heathrow. Arrived at SJ @ 18.00 hrs and nobody had luggage, They had left it on the runway at JFK citing the Heathrow flight as being late arriving and only leaving one hour before the SJ flight departed. It was chaos at baggage services with all the people reporting the lost luggage.

Anyway to cut a long story short my wife and I received our luggage 3 days later the night before our cruise was departing. My brother and his wife were less lucky, as of today they still have not received it, and they had to cruise with no luggage. they bought clothes at the ports and RCL helped them with formal clothes and free laundry for the duration of th 11 night cruise. I spoke to a lot of people who also never received their luggage.

Points of learning :-
1. I noticed several people with no check in luggage just carry-on (maximum size)
2. If you do check in luggage ensure you pack clothes in your carry on (just in case)
3. JFK is renowned for this. If only i knew before.

Anyway the cruise was great and I received substantial compensation from RCL within 7 days of my return after i contacted them with my complaints.

Zuiderdam Mar 04
Empress OTS Dec 04
Legend OTS Oct 05
Navigator OTS -Nov 06 - BTB - West & East
NCL Jade Dec 08

Explorer OTS Feb 09
Old January 19th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We've had our luggage delayed several times on the way to port cities, and coming home as well.

We were fortunate in that the luggage arrived that night, and the airlines delivered it to our hotel, and to our home.

If the luggage did not arrive on time to get it to you hotel, it would be sent to the ship, IF you have the cruise line luggage tags on it.

If the ship has left, they will try and forward it to the next port.

Chances are higher that all will be well, and you'll find your luggage at the airport when you arrive.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 19th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

This happened to us last summer in Rome. We got there, one suitcase did not. We went to the baggage office and they already knew about it. We waited for the next flight and it came. We didn't want to risk it being delivered to the ship too late. We always worry about lost luggage... it happened to us once on the way home (luckily) and we never did receive our bags (both lost that time). For my own peace of mind I now make a list of EVERYTHING that I put in each suitcase and leave the list at home. It's very difficult to remember every item you packed for your cruise. About all you can do, though, is cross your fingers and hope for the best. If you're traveling with someone, split your clothes and shoes between the two bags... don't pack all of his in one and all of yours in another. That way, if one bag doesn't make it, at least you both will have part of what you brought. Oh yeah... any other time luggage has arrived after us, it has been delivered (hotels and home) at no cost.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Passenger

In my experience, the airline will deliver the luggage to you at the hotel. A little packing advice, pack one bag as a carry on as if you were only stayng one night. Put everything in that bag that you would need.
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:42 AM
Karen Adelman

I had this happen to meonce in Venice. i arrived, but the bag did not. My hubands bag did arrive...which truely worried me. Two days later, after having bought a few necessary items the bag did show...in time for our cruise. They delivered the bag to the hotel..gratis...aboard a gondola. Just be prepared and take a LARGE carry on! Good luck!