Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2005, 04:34 PM
Passenger

Default Exotic Tropical Fruit in St. Eastern Caribbean

We are going on a cruise to Eastern Caribbean on February 20. I'd like to know what kind of exotic tropical fruit will be available there during the time. I'm particularly fond of soursops, jack fruit, sugar apples, and star apples. TIA for your responses!
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2005, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Exotic Tropical Fruit in St. Eastern Caribbean

Not sure what you might find ashore but understand they probably will not allow you to bring them onboard and they certainly will not allow you to bring them back to the USA. It is strictly against US Agriculture rules and there are very heavy fines and even the threat of imprisonment! If you want to sample the local fare go ahead but make sure you do so on the island where you get it.
Jim

Old January 21st, 2005, 05:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Exotic Tropical Fruit in St. Eastern Caribbean

bit:
Check out the open air markets in St.Marten and St.Thomas. I know you will find soursops and star apples. In St. Marten you can do a cab tour and ask to stop at the market in Marigot. You can also ask any others drivers and they will also know. They have a great selection of fruits. It is only open on certain days and I am not sure which ones. Otherwise there are many others that sell them.

Pay attention to what Jim said. You can't bring them home with you.

Also remember that you are buying "local" produce and your system isn't used to the water that was used to grow it and you could get ill from it. I personally haven't had a problem but others have.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me