Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Default Making flight time after cruise is over

My wife and I are sailing on Carnival in May. We arrive in port at 8:00 am. We have a 10:45 flight out of Miami (the port of call) and have been told they have an earl departure announcement at 7:00am. Is this a realistic time to reach the airport ? We would like to make this as our next choice of flight time would be 6:45 PM !

Thanks to anyone who can help us.

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Default Re: Making flight time after cruise is over

You will not be getting off the ship at 7am. I just don't see this happening as they must first have Homeland Security clear the ship. (Customs) You might get off around 9am if everything goes well and you are the first off. It takes at least a half hour to get to MIA and then at least another hour to get through security so as you can see, you are cutting it much too close IMHO. If you miss it you might be able to get the next flight on a standy basis I don't know, depends on your ticket. Talk to the airlines and see what they can offer so that you can try for the earlier flight but still be able to take the later one if you miss it. I really could not personally recommend any flight before noon out of Miami.

24 cruises and counting!
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I think you're cutting it close too. On our last cruise our ship "docked" at 7:00 a.m.. By the time we got off the ship it was about 11:30 a.m.. They usually start calling ticket colors around 9:00 a.m.. I don't know what happened this time but no one started getting off until about 10:00 a.m.. I personally will not book a flight prior to 1:00 p.m.. I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear.

Celebrity Century 1/09
Carnival Destiny 10/07
Carnival Destiny 9/06
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 24th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Particularily in Miami I don't think you have a snowball's chance in.... to make a flight that early. I wouldnt' dare to say impossible, but I would bet money against you<G>

Take the later flight, and enjoy the day in South Beach.

Old January 26th, 2005, 11:29 AM

My travel agent has always told me that the cruise lines dont recommend flights before 1 pm. I would see if you can change it, it can take a while sometimes to get to the airport with traffic and all.
Old January 30th, 2005, 09:36 PM

When you get on the ship you can take your airline ticket to the pursers desk and
they will give you a special colored tag for your luggage that allows you to leave the ship as soon as they have clearance. There is no way of knowing when this happens because
they can't let anyone off until the ship clears customs. This depends on how many ships are in port at the same time and if any of the guests have questionable paperwork.

I would not recommend any flight before noon and 1:00 would probably be better. You have to find your luggage, then a half hour drive to the airport and they want you there an hour and a half to two hours before the flight.

You'd have to get off at 8am, have your luggage and a taxi by 8:30, at the airport by 9:00 you'd be just in time to checked in for the 10:45 flight. The problem is it depends on a lot of ifs. Also if you are taking the ships shuttle to the airport they don't leave until the buses are full and you'd never make it.

We did an 11:30 flight once and had trouble with finding our luggage and we barely made it on to the plane. It wasn't a fun situation.

Another option would be to see if you can fly out of Fort Lauderdale, it's about an hour from the port and sometimes they can offer you better flights.

If the tickets are already booked I would ask the airline what happens if you miss the flight. If you just have to spend another day, that may be smarter than paying $100 each to change the tickets. It depends on the type of tickets you have.

Good luck
Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:11 PM
First Mate

We were afraid to book too early ourselves. Luckily we found a later flight.
Sure hope it works out for you!!

Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:12 AM

We are pushing it by booking a noon flight! I would NEVER book one any earlier than noon! If you can't get your flight changed - be sure to contact the purser AS SOON as you get on board and inform then of your flight time. Also - tell your cabin stuart that you need luggage tags for an early flight!
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:02 PM

I live in Florida and usually drive to the ports, however we cruised out of New Orleans last fall and because I'm such a lame-brain I booked a 10:30 a.m. flight back home that day and it was a non-refundable ticket.

I asked the same question as you did and received the same replies. What we did is give our luggage to our travelling companions and had them pick it up for us and ship it to our home a few days later. We zipped right off the ship at 8:00, got a cab, arrived at the airport terminal about 9:10 and had no problem whatsoever catching the flight.

You might make it if you can carry your luggage with you then you can disembark at the earliest time.

book, catch, cruise, cruse, earliet, early, flight, fort, lauderdale, miami, missed, realistically, ship, suggested, time