Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:26 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M
Default stolen wallet..no photo id to board ship..what to do?

I have a question for everyone. I'd Iike your expertise or any first hand experience with this situation:

One week from today (2/18) I have a group of 50 family and friends going on the RCCL's Monarch of the Seas on the 3 night cruise from Los Angeles to Ensenada, Mexico.
My 19 yr old daughter's girlfriend is one of the friends joining us. Yesterday she had her wallet stolen. And, of course, in that wallet is her driver's license. So...she has no official photo ID. She has her birth certificate and she has a University of California Santa Barbara student ID. But no drivers license or state issued photo ID. She went to the DMV today to get her DL replaced, but they only give a temporary paper DL...no picture. She has to wait for the new photo DL to come in the mail, and we all know how long THAT takes.
I called RCCL 3 times today and got three different answers as to whether or not the student ID will work (along with her BC and temporary DL). I was even referred to Dept of Immigration, spoke to them and got yet ANOTHER answer. Immigration said she could get on the ship, but when she comes back into the Los Angeles, she might get held up, but it really all depends on how strict the immigration officer is that she goes to.
A couple of the people at RCCL said she will "probably be fine" and get on the ship with no problem....whereas a couple of them said she wouldn't even be able to board the ship.
I keep getting so many different answers, we don't know what to do. And,...she can't get a quick passport because, although she was born in the USA, her parents are Canadian citizens so she has dual citizenship with USA/Canada. And if she got a quick passport she would have to give up her Canadian citizenship and she and her parents (who are Canadian) don't want her to give up her Canadian citizenship.

So...my question is...has ANYONE had any experience boarding the ship or getting thru immigration once you were back at home port without the EXACT proper photo ID?

I feel so bad for this young woman. She has been looking forward to this cruise for 6 months...paid for it herself...and its not her fault her wallet got stolen. And now its even too late to get her money back because we are within 7 days of sailing.

Any pieces of advice?

Thanks in advance.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: stolen wallet..no photo id to board ship..what to do?

What about people who do not drive for whatever reason. I went to college in San Francisco and never drove so therefore didn't get my license until I was back in NYC at 21 yrs old. I did however have some kind of state id with picture that was mandatory whether student or not. That was 20 something years ago so maybe California does not issue those anymore. I don't think everyone should be expected to have a drivers license.

Old February 12th, 2005, 08:23 AM
SarahJ

Even if you don't drive, you can get a state id. That serves the same purpose. Every state has a state id, it just varies how quickly one can get it.

See if she can get a state id.
Old February 12th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Check with the cruise line and see if the her photo student id would be acceptable........

Old February 12th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Admiral

You can get a State Issued ID with a photo. The University student ID was issued by a goverment based agency so it qualifies as a legal photo ID.
Jim

Old February 12th, 2005, 03:27 PM
First Mate

Jim...in California the state issued IDs are obtained at the DMV...but they don't issue them on the spot. They have to be processed and you receive them in the mail.

She went to the California DMV to get her license replaced, but they only issue a temporary paper id. The one with the photo comes thru the mail

Lisa.....We DID check with the cruiseline, 3 times, and was given 3 different answers....yes, the student id will work....no, the student id won't work...and the student id will "probably be ok". Even spoke to immigration and got a confusing answer from them.

Well...after talking with several people and posting on various message boards, I am feeling confident enough that she will be fine. She will take her school ID, temporary license, birth certificate, and any other piece of identification she may have, and a copy of the police report proving that her wallet was stolen (therefore no drivers license photo id).

Post Edited (02-12-05 18:05)
PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old February 13th, 2005, 03:29 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: stolen wallet..no photo id to board ship..what to do

An update to the story:

The girl is NOT going on the cruise. Her mom has decided that its a "sign" that she her wallet was stolen and the uncertainty of what form of ID will be accepted, so she has forbid her daughter to go on the cruise. She even feels so strongly about it, that the mom is paying back the daughter for the price of the cruise. In the meantime, my daughter found another friend to go and the mom is even willing to pay the $35 name change fee.

I wish I could have talked to the girl's parents, but when I asked her if she wanted me to, she said no thank you. I've only met this girl's parents once (on move-in day at the college dorm room they shared), so I don't even have the girl's parents phone number.

Its obvious these parents have never been on a cruise. Otherwise they would know how disappointing this is for their daughter. ;-) I feel bad for her.

Post Edited (02-13-05 15:29)
PAST CRUISES
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Admiral

OH puh-leez!! I think that is so silly....very unfortunate that her mother is making her miss the cruise because she thinks it is a "sign". A very bad precedent to set, I think. Now will she be pulling back on doing things all of her life because she thinks there is a "sign"? How about school?? Going to work?? Really pushing yourself for something that doesn't come easy?? Look at how many people have overcome difficulties in their lives when things pointed towards the worse.

It's a shame that she is going to miss the cruise, but I think it's a bigger shame that her mother is putting the fear of "nothing" into her....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: stolen wallet..no photo id to board ship..what to do

I agree with you completely. I just feel sorry for the girl. I know if it was my daughter, and I said it was a "sign", my daughter would go anyway... Of course...my daughter has been on enough cruises to know how much fun she would be missing. :-)

PAST CRUISES