CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Cabin Location / Noise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/244810-cabin-location-noise.html)

cap February 15th, 2005 07:33 PM

Cabin Location / Noise

Hi everyone!
Can someone give me an opinion on the room location on the Princess Coral please? We are on the Aloha deck, room #A307. I have read that this will mean we feel more motion being near the stern and the top of the ship. We also seem to be located near the lifts, and under the Horizon Court bathrooms. I am wondering about the noise problem (I know that the walls are not that soundproof!). Should we ask travel agent to try to change our rooms, or just go with it. It is our first cruise and we want to be able to relax. Also, I cannot tell if the balcony will be exposed to the upper deck or not. Any info would be helpful, Thanks.

Ceramicslover February 15th, 2005 10:04 PM

Re: Cabin Location / Noise

Our first cruise is coming up in April and I also was wondering about the noise, since I am such a light sleeper. I use a fan at home (actually a noisy air filter) to cover the ouside noises (dog barking, noisy cars, etc). So I went out and bought a 'sound scapes' clock radio and tried that in place of the fan. It worked just as well. It has the sounds of wind, rain, a brook , etc etc. Whenever we go out of town and stay overnight in a hotel, we take our fan with us. Try that and see if it works for the noise. Try it first at home to get used to it, then if it doesn't work, save the receipt and take it back.

windycitykitty February 16th, 2005 04:46 AM

Try earplugs the foam kind. Ships cabin walls are very thin and I recall hearing people next door, people in the hallways pretty much everything. The cruise lines should insulate better.

cap February 16th, 2005 07:31 PM

Re: Re: Cabin Location / Noise

Thank you both for your suggestions. Have you ever stayed near the front and top of the ship before? My other half made the choices (I think with the thought that nothing but the top floor is the best ) and after reading the boards, I am not so sure.

claude gareau February 17th, 2005 12:15 AM

Hi,
Your odds of a " noisy " or " moving" surroundings are pretty strong.
We sailed its sister ship ISL:AND last summer....were 2/3 way towards
stern, Baja deck,balcony. Felt no movement , and were far enough away
from the elevators, ....but four tablemates were not so lucky, two of there
on ALOHA deck....yes, it can APPEAR to be a better location but, you are
right, under the Top deck, close to elevators area is a receipe for noise.
Regrds being at/near the stern, it is not as clear.

My suggestion, mid-ship//mi decks !!!! Cabins can even be a bit cheaper there !!!

For some mysterious reasons, PRINCESS has designed its newer ship such that
balconies on CARIBE , DOLPHIN and EMERALD deck are more like a patio than
a proper balcony; you are " exposed " to onlookers from the higher decks.
Cheers
CG

cap February 17th, 2005 06:13 PM

Re: Re: Cabin Location / Noise

Thank-you for all your input. I guess we will roll the dice this cruise and know better for our next. Happy cruising everyone.

windycitykitty February 18th, 2005 01:26 AM

Good luck to you and pack the earplugs just in case! Im bringing them with me also good on plane rides with crying children. :)