Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Deanna Merritt

Default minor children

If my 15 year old daughter has a different last name but I am on the birth certificate, do I need some additional paperwork from her birth father to take her on a cruise? I was told yes and then I was told no by a Carnival Cruise person I booked with. He has not been in her life for 12 years and *if* I could get a hold of him, he wouldn't sign anything anyway. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Default Re: minor children

Since you have sole custody of your daughter it should not be a problem. It probably would be a good idea to bring a copy of the custody papers with you.
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Deanna:

I was told you need to bring authorization from the other parent to bring your child out of the country. Luckily, my ex and I get along great and he's always willing to sign whatever I need for the kids to go on vacation. Sometimes I've been asked for it prior to boarding and other times I haven't. I was also told that if I didn't have it my kids wouldn't be allowed on the ship. When my husband tried to take the kids to Canada I actually got a telephone call from the guards at the border asking if it was ok for him to take them and asking me to provide a description of him and the kids. I think security is much tighter than it used to be. If you can't get something from your ex, if you have enough time I would try to get something from the Court stating that you can take her out of the country.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 17th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Admiral

You do need something from the absent parent to take your minor child out of the United States. That preferably is a notorized letter giving permission form the absent parent. A death certificate also suffices. You can also bring a court order that grants you sole and exclusive cusotdy that specifically excludes the absent parents' rights.
I know this is a huge inconvience but it came about because some parents were fleeing the country with children from divorce cases.
Jim

Old February 17th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Deanna Merritt

why would a Carnival Cruise person tell me I don't then? I am not sure I can get something in time. I will try though.
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Admiral

If you have sole custody, you should be able to get this from the courts immediately.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was told by 2 carnival reps that I didnt need letter. they were outright lying, to me and AAA rep.
The letter is a Fed requirement per the TSA and Customs for taking minor child out of country.
Had to get letter at last second.
Old February 17th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Understand some of these "reps" are not much more than order takers and don't really know anything much about anything else. It is pretty much the same for all cruiseline 'sales reps'.
Jim

Old February 18th, 2005, 02:41 AM
janene

I have always had to get a notarized note from my daughters father to take her to mexico, I supposedely have one on the way for my upcoming cruise but in a statement Carnival sent me when I purched the tickets that only of you stay in a mexico port for 24 hours you would need a notarized note or custody paperwork. I am hoping because I wouldn't have booked the trip if I wasn't told that and I would have waited for the note to come for sure. I am one that never went to court to get anything. I will be this year but it takes awhile...anyways below I copied what I got from email ...I do here Canada is a bit stricter reagrding the letter and cruises. I think if you have to start the cuise there it will be harder but if your port is in the states you should be okay.... My rep at Carnival said he never heard of the letter and didn't think I need it either. I am going to have one hopefull y just in case..maybe call the cruise line to ask...good luck

All Non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents must surrender their passport and/or green cards at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection. To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure. Additionally, if debarking with children, guests must have a notarized affidavit from any absent parent indicating permission to travel with the accompanying adult.