Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2005, 02:24 PM
Passenger

Default passports for panama canal

I'm sure that this has been asked and answered a million times, but is a passport necessary for the Panama Canal cruise on RCCL? I have been reading cruise reviews and in one of the reviews it clearly states that you will not be allowed into the Panama Canal without a passport. Our TA has not mentioned this to us, so I don't understand if that is for excursions in the Canal or through the Canal itself.
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: passports for panama canal

CJ, we were there last week on a 10 day Princess cruise. We do have passports but we did not need them to enter the Canal nor to take on our tour once we went through the locks. If fact, once we got to our cabin, the passports went into the safe and stayed for 10 days until we left the ship.
I personally think it is a very good idea to get passports if you intend to travel and or
cruise much, as it makes it easier for I.D. purposes.

Once our ship had cleared the Gatun Locks, we sailed a short distance on Gatun lake, then tendered ashore to our tour bus. The ship later returned through the locks and
when we returned from our tour, we went directly to the dock where the ship was.
We only had to show a photo I.D. and ships card.
This was on Princess but I wouldn't think that the authorities would request one thing from Royal Caribbean and another from Princess.

We always take our passports but once through the ships security, we never take them ashore. Last week we took extended tours in Costa Rica and Panama and never needed anything but photo I.D. and ships card for reboarding.

Good luck and enjoy the cruise.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Not at this moment they are not. Rumors have been flying around for years that required Passports are just around the corner so be prepared and get yours now.
Jim

Old March 4th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty

Lot's of conficting information out there, Im going to Panama though my cruise does not actually go through the canal. I got the passport anyway, they say it's a great form of ID to have ,and if you go to Europe or some where else it's better to have it, so your all set. I got mine at my local post office, they can do a speed order other wise it takes about 6 weeks they say, mine arrived in less 4 I think. You need to get 2 passport photos at Walgreens or somewhere, bring in your certified birthcertificate the one with a stamp on it and pay your money about $85, at the post office, they mail in your birthcertificate, and mail it back with your passport. Call your local post office for info.
Old March 4th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Passenger

thanks for your information!! you have helped immensely!!
Old March 4th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

Head up and there's also another post--but i saw on another board that passports will be required to re-enter the US by Jan 1 2008