Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Passenger

Default thank you gifts

What would be a good gift to give to our stateroom attendant? I was thinking and international phone calling card. Any ideas???
Remy
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:30 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: thank you gifts

The best gift would be an extra tip. Not sure about calling cards, but no trinkets for sure. The personal space in their cabins is very limited. They can buy everything they need on the ship, and at a good price; that's why cash is best.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:29 PM
CruzCrazy

Most of the female cabin attendants we have had have children that they leave in their home country while they work on the ships.

I'm sure they send most of their money home, so I always give them money. If you want to add something besides their tip, I'm sure they would appreciate it.

I'm sure calling cards would be appreciated along with their tip, not in lieu of it.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:44 AM
venice

I agree about extra $$$$$
Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Admiral

if you ask any of the crew they will tell you that cash is the best. Most crewmembers send their pay home to familes, and they are left with very little "running around" money.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 11:45 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: thank you gifts

We always tip, our kids are in the "service" industry and we know its hard to make ends meet. Cash sounds like the best idea. I hesitate to give cash instead of a personal gift most of the time, but in this case I'm sure its the correct thing to do. thanks! ...and I'M still EXCITED about going on the Glory on the 12th. ... and theres nothing anyone can do about it...he!he!ha!ha!ho!ho! off sailing on the Glory we gooooooo.....
Remy
Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:04 PM
Cruisingrandma

I have been collecting two dollar bills to leave on the night stand every day for the cabin steward. Jsut a little extra to say thanks for all the great service. Happy cruising.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:21 PM
Admiral

On our last cruise, our stateroom attendant was a middle age lady from Romania. After talking with her a few times, we learned that she was single and had to send money home. She didn`t have a husband and from we could gather, no prospect of having one. My wife and I gave her some extra cash and a hug. She had tears in her eyes.

I`ll never forget that moment. These attendants are often on ships for months at the time with no time to socialized.

Bill
Old March 5th, 2005, 10:24 PM
First Mate

Does anyone know the average income of room attendants? I would think they would make good money with all the tips.
Old March 5th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Admiral

Yes Lizzy, then can, but remember some people DON'T TIP. I know, I know - seems hard to believe, but with a base salary of around $50/month they depend on tips for most of their income.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old March 12th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Bezor

Where can you find $2 bills?
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:46 AM
sterlingsilver

Order them from the bank. I usually order 100 at a time ($200 worth) and they are brand new with consecutive numbers. Shouldn't cost extra.
Old March 17th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Passenger

Hi,
We always give an extra tip and a personal note. The money is what they need and the note doesn't take up much space, if they keep it. We wrote our address on the bottom of our thank you notes and a few months later we got a postcard in the mail. It was nice, and it showed, they really appreciated it. The coments on the coment card probably helped too. If they give great service, make sure you mention it, this helps them get promotions.
Brenda
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Cash. It is all about the cash folks. They for some reason get a lot of calling cards and most don't work and they toss them or trade them to others. Space is limited so handcrafts which very nice are also not a good idea as they have no place to put it nor the ability to take it home. Like I said, Cash is the one gift that is wanted and appreciated more than anything along with a nice card or thank you note.
I have noticed that many people like to be unusual and give the coin dollars or two dollar bills and while that is really a nice thing there are sometimes problems cashing them for the crew. Other nations know well the dollar and 5, 10, 20, 50, and $100's they don't all believe in the coins or $2 bills and some think it 'funny money' so it is actually better to stick to the common bills.
There have been some people that have used three and four dollar bills to tip the crew with thinking it is funny, it isn't and because of this many are now wary of things like this.
Jim

Old March 17th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Born to cruisejp

Would you like to recieve anything other than MONEY for a paycheck?
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

As others have said, CASH is king. Crews have access to phone cards from the cruiselines that are much cheaper than what passengers could provide. Gifts or presents, while nice, are not practical. Their families are NOT with them, storage space is a premium in their rooms and trying to drag an assortment of gifts from passengers onto a plane after a six month contract is not realistic. Cold, hard cash is MOST appreciated.
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Bob N

I pre-paid my gratutides and then leave extra cash to those who earned it. On our cruise our waiter & ass't server happened to be a husband/wife team so I also gave them a bottle of champange on the last night for their quite time together.
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:53 AM
DonD

If you give them cash at the start of a cruise, do they get to keep it all or do they have to share it with the others?