Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Tracyrn

Default Dunns River Falls

Hi everyone! I have a few questions and hope someone can help me.

1. Would (or should) I be able to get a taxi from the pier and do Dunns River Falls on our own without any reservations?

2. Would a 6 year old be able to climb the Falls?

3. Approximately how much would an excursion like this cost?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Tracy
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dunns River Falls

Tracy;

I have done the Falls 3 times. A 6-year old child cannot do them, it`s not really all that difficult for an adult. Some steps are just too far apart for a small child.

You definitely don`t need a rerservation to do the Falls.

When we were in Jamaica, it wasn`t with a cruise. There was no problem to get a taxi from the hotels. However, as with most Carribean Islands negotiate a price before you get in.

If this is your first time in Jamaica, be prepared to say ``NO``. Tourists are constantly pestered to buy useless junk and for donations.

Bill
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Admiral

1. You can get a cab at the pier, just make sure you take a bonded-licenced cab, they are cleary marked, DO NOT take an unmarked "gypsy" cab, even though they will try to intice you with cheap fares, its not worth the risk.
2. Not sure if a 6yr old can climb the falls or not. If they can't there is a walkway alongside the falls, if your 6 yr old is allowed to climb the falls, and finds it difficult, there are "outways" along the falls.
3. not sure of the rates, so i won't give you any pricing.
Old March 7th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

when i was at dunns river falls in 2003, there were TONS of younger kids - i definitely think a 6 year old could climb the falls. i actually think younger kids were having an easier time because they are more limber.
Old March 7th, 2005, 03:38 PM
cali-croozer

TracyM.......where are you docking? If in Ocho Rios, the falls are close by. If in Montego Bay, you will spend a lot of time getting there.
Old March 7th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Tracyrn

We are docking in Ocho Rios. So at least we will be close, but everyone has me a little nervous about adventuring around on my own there. The ship does offer an excursion there but I was trying to save some money especially if my 6 yr. old won't even be able to climb the falls.
Thanks to everyone who answered, I appreciate all the info I get.

Tracy
Old March 7th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Yeoman

Consider a private tour, like Peat Taylor Tours. He is very good, and since he relies on ship trade, he is very careful to get you back to ship on time.

Lesley

Old March 9th, 2005, 08:34 AM
jacie

Hello!!!

We just came back from Dunn's River. He hired Trevor Hudlin on line before we went. He was great. It was like a private tour or Ocho rios. The falls are pretty difficult to climb but there was a little girl about maybe 10 who climbed it with us. They do help you if you need the help.. My 13 year old son climbed it with a cast on. It was hard work though. There are some points where you can get off if you need to.
Jacie
Old March 9th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Laurie Qualls

Default Re: Re: Dunns River Falls

hi we went to Jamaica two years ago.......17 year old and husband did fine....10 year old fell and hurt her knee really badly..i fell also and hurt my leg...two other passengers that came over on our catamaran spell check...broke bones...it can be very slippery...and everyone is supposed to hold hands...but they do not and people fall. and step in between rocks and you can get hurt...yes it is very pretty...it is far away form montego bay. in Ochos Rios....and one broken bone could mess up your whole trip....Laurie
Old March 10th, 2005, 01:10 AM
on behalf of Steve

I climbed Dunn's River Falls I wouldn't bring a six year old. I too fell and cut my leg open on a sharp rock. It is a 600 foot water fall and you have to hold hands with all the people in a giant line. My boyfriend got stuck helping some 250lb woman who had no business climbing such a big water fall she was not in good physical shape. He was pulling her up with both hands let go of me and I fell and cut and bruised myself. The lazy staff did nothing to help the woman or us, then they expected us to tip them at the end of our ordeal. That's my experiance at the Dunns River. You would have to carry a six year old I think and you can't do that holding hands with two other people. You can however watch others climb it or maybe take a raft down the Martha Brae River. Good luck.
Old March 12th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

My understanding is that there is more then 1 "trail" up the falls is that correct? If so, is one easier then the other?

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:11 PM
rtrem

We travelled to Jamaica a couple of times. Did the Falls when my youngest was 4. At the bottom of the falls there are "guides" who will offer to guide you up. This rather strapping young man took us all the up the falls. There is a procession of people sort of single file that snakes it's way up. He said, "we go this way, avoid all the people". Well we went up in about 20 minutes, where the single file line would take at least 3 times that long. He carried my 4 year old about half the way. He knew where every rock was! We swam across some deep pools that the people in line never even saw!

We had a waterproof camera and he took no less than 10 photos of us. They work for tips only. I tipped him $20, which seemed like a great deal.

My advice is to go and hire a guide.

Bob
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:57 PM
nishawn

YOU CAN JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THEIR OWN WEBSITES....THEY HAVE ALL THE RATES ON THE SITE. I JUST CAME BACK FROM JAMAICA AND WE DID DUNNS RIVER FALLS; IT WAS AWSOME....I WOULD DEFINATELY GO AGAIN. THE PEOPLE ARE SWEET, ESPECIALLY THE MEN....BUT THEY ARE ALSO QUITE AGGRESSIVE.....BUT NOT TO HARM YOU. I DON'T THINK SENDING A SIX YEAR OLD OUT THERE WOULDN'T' BE SO BAD, BUT I WOULD REALLY THINK CLEARLY ABOUT THAT...BUT THERE IS A POSSIBLITY THAT HE MAY GET INJURED. i WOULD REALLY CALL THEM BEFORE H AND ASK THEM MORE QUESTION. NOW THE WEBSITE COULD BE dunnriverspark.com or ochorios.com check those out the should have the rates on that site. There was a really sweet and sexy tour guide named Delroy that I fell inlove with him.anyway that another stroy.
so good luck.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:03 PM
nishawn

Default Re: Re: Dunns River Falls

And was that strapping gentlement named Delroy.....because I wanted to take him home with me , until I was reminded that I was there with my husband