CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Birth Certificate (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/244964-birth-certificate.html)

Desiree Russo March 14th, 2005 09:18 PM

Birth Certificate

My husbands birth certificate looks like it is a photo copy but it has a purple seal on it. The seal is not raised but it does say it is from the registrar recorder. Would this be a acceptable form or should I order a new birth certificate? He was born in a house not a hospital so there is no seal from the hospital either. What would you suggest?

SUSAN CURTIS March 14th, 2005 11:11 PM

Re: Birth Certificate

I order certified copies of both of ours so there would be no doubt. I did it on line and I thinks it cost about $25.00. Have a great cruise.

antron March 15th, 2005 01:34 AM

i would call your cruise line and ask them. the will be able to tell you if you need to get something else or not. good luck and have a great time.

Darcy March 15th, 2005 08:08 AM

If you have time before you leave I would get a passport. It's the best form of ID and there will be no questions.

AR March 15th, 2005 09:12 AM

Never mind a new birth certificate. Get a passport. If you don't you're simply going through a lot of wasted motion which will accomplish little except delaying the inevitable. You are going to need to have a passport soon if you continue to travel anywhere outside the country.

Mike M March 15th, 2005 10:51 AM

If your cruise is coming up within the next couple of weeks, order a new birth certificate from the county. This will eliminate any problems at check in.

If your cruise is a few months away then I strongly agree with everyone else's advice. Go ahead and get passports for both you and your husband. With it you will have no question on what is required and what is a valid birth certificate. You will also be able to use it for 10 years of future travel.

The the identification requirements as of today are an original or state/county issued copy of your birth certificate and government issued picture id. That is "as of today". In today's world the requirements are changing on, almost, a monthly basis.

Take care,
Mike

Don Smith March 15th, 2005 07:32 PM

My advise is current, as of this day...15 March 2005

We applied for our passports today, and my info was accepted. My wife had a very pretty birth certificate from the hospital she was born at...complete with golden raised seal and pretty stamps and footprints...NOT ACCEPTED It was not registered with the state

Ordered hers today from the state office where she was born.

Our Clerk of Court said they were expecting all travelers to need passports by January 2006. They sometimes get the word first about such matters.

Lastly, it is NOT the cruise line that examines your documents and grants your right to sail,...I think it is US Customs .

Jim Bragg March 16th, 2005 03:55 PM

Desree. If this is the copy that was issued to you from a goverment office such as the city, county, or state it is fine. If it is a copy of that instrument or issued by anyone other than the government of the City, County, or State then it is not good. Some have raised seals, (mine does and is a 8x11 piece of paper issued by the town in which I was born), and some do not have raised seals, (my wife and kids have a wallet sized card issued in the county for the state that does not have a raised seal). Best bet is if you have the time get a passport. You need the same document to include with your application then as well.
Jim

claude gareau March 16th, 2005 08:38 PM

Hi,

As most chatters mentionned, the BEST piece of I .D., BY FAR,
is a PASSPORT, That fits any and all requirements you might have
to face just about anywhere and at any time !!!!
As well, I N S does the deed when it comes to waiving you thru,
not the carrier ( air, sea or rail, does not matter...). The carriers have
the obligation of insuring you have the proper documents right up
front to avoid both you and THEM a lot of embarassement a few
minutes later , should I N S turn you back....
As a T A , I have always very strongly suggested that clients have a
passport, valid for at least 9 months, in their posession when they
travel, ANYWHERE, That is the best solution.

HAPPY CRUISIN '

CG