Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Beginner

Default sea sickness

For somebody who experiences somewhat severe motion sickness, which area of a cruise liner is the best to book a cabin? What preventative measures are the most effective to avoid "sea sickness" or "motion sickness" during a cruise?

The specific cruise liner is the Carnival Valor, a very large ship.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Admiral

Default Re: sea sickness

The center of the ship is usually your best bet. There are a couple of over the counter medications you can take. Some other folks are firm believers in the wrist band or taking "ginger" to supress their sea sickness. If you do suffer from severe motion sickness, I would discuss with my doctor to see what they suggest.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 18th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Hi,
Tere is medication you can take. You need to see your doctor for RX. It is called
Transderm-Scop TTS patch. You wear a little bandaid type patch behind your ear and neck.
It works for me. But it will make you sleepy and dry mouth.
I take it when I scuba dive. small ships make me sea sick, but have never had a problem on the cruise lines.
Carole
Old March 18th, 2005, 09:02 AM
kcusick

I get wicked sea sick and but love cruising. After my first fiasco with sea sickness on my first cruise, I took the advice of Sea Trekker above and went to my doctor for the Transderm-Scop TTS patch before my next cruise. I haven't had a problem since, and I've been through 20+ foot swells! Side effects vary from person to person. Yours truly only one side effect, which I consider an advantage--the patch greatly intensifies the effects of alcohol in my system. One drink and I'm having the time of my life. Needless to say, my bar bill on a cruise is peanuts!
Old March 18th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Hubby & I take a Bonine every morning on our cruises.......no seasickness, and best of all, no drowsiness! They are chewable so you don't need water...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old March 18th, 2005, 11:57 AM
First Mate

I agree...Bonine works best for me. Our last cruise the seas were very choppy and we had to watch our balance when we walked it was so bad. I took Bonine and had no seasick problems.
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:10 PM
BoosterMom

Bonine & Less Drowsy Dramamine are a compound called Meclizine. Wonderful Stuff! We start taking one day prior to cruise, during cruise and one day after and have never had sea sickness.I take 1/2 tab am and 1/2 tab pm. Meclizine can also be purchased from pharamacist OTC in larger quantities. It's cheap. I got a bottle of 100 for $3.74. (USD) Regular Dramamine is different stuff,,,,,,,makes you sleepy. The "patch" can also dialate your pupils, which doesn't work well with contact wearers and can give you fuzzy vision, along with dry mouth.

Middle of ship, inside cabin, lower deck would offer less motion, but if the stabilizers on the ship aren't working well or if there is a lot of sea activity, you will feel ship movement anywhere. There are just different degrees of movement and it affects different people in different ways. It isn't going to be like being in a little boat in the middle of the ocean, but always remember, it is still a boat (no matter what size) in the middle of the ocean!!