Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default scanning film

leaving long beach port paradise carnival
taking 3 rolls 400 speed film, high speed film, will customs hand exam film if I ask nicely? , photo lab said 400 speed prob will be ruined by xray.
any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: scanning film

Yes, just make sure you don't put film in your checked luggage, especially if you are flying down. We've had camera's and film go through the carry on scanners and have had no problem, but if you ask, I'm sure they will hand scan that for you.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 18th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Unless you are singled out for some reason, Customs won't be looking at anything .
Are you flying?.If yes, TSA will inspect your carryon. They will hand check 800 speed or higher film. 400 speed will not be impacted by even several passes through carry on scanners. It will be impacted by check through scanners. Never put film in a checked in bag.
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:29 PM
AR

Unless they've changed the rules recently, they're supposed to hand inspect if you ask. In practice, it has always varied according to the mood of the person at the scanner. They may try to say they're consistent, but they aren't.

Theroretically, the scanners at the security checkpoints will not harm film up to and including 400 ASA. However, what they don't tell you is that x-radiation is cumulative, so it's multiple scans that are likely to do you in. The other thing that can nail you is an out-of-whack machine. They're supposed to be calibrated, but you know how it goes.

Best you can do is ask for hand inspection. If you fail in your efforts, try to have the film processed before you return so you don't run the risk of multiple doses. And of, course, at all costs keep film out of checked baggage, where it will definitely be fried.
Old March 18th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

thanks, lab tells me not to have scanned, even film pack says dont xray.
film was 14.00 dont want to argue, but dont want to reuin film.
the film is still in it orig sealed pack, hopefully will help
Old March 18th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

The best thing to do is remove the film from the box and plastic cannister. Put it in a zip lock bag and place it in the tray that does not go through the machine. This way the film will not be x-rayed. It can be visually seen that it is truly film. I have been thanked many times by using this method by the people behind me that I do not delay the line and also by the TSA.

Keeping the film in the original box and cannister will be scanned. If you wish, keep the plastic cannisters in a carry on/ purse and place the film back after you have passed the x-ray.

Round trip San Francisco Mex Riv, Mercury May 4, 2005

Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Old March 21st, 2005, 02:00 PM
PapaBear

Most camera stores sell lead-foil lined bags just for this purpose. Put your film inside, roll up the open end and use the supplied clip to keep it rolled up.

But every time I have taken film thru X-ray, all over the world, including Israeli security (about 40 times), they will pass the film around the X-ray.

Jim
Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:08 AM
Admiral

we do what Y2C suggests, take the film out of the pouches and the canisters, put it in a ziploc bag,and place it in the tray for items to be hand-checked. Most agents appreciate the fact that you have made this effort, we always ask to have the film hand checked just to be on the safe side.