Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:04 PM
clnscheffer

Default getting nervous

Hi!

My husband and I are going on our first cruise on June 16. I am getting nervous for some reason. I have our cruise docs and our passports and have a good handle on what we will pack. Any words of encouragement or advice?

God bless!
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: getting nervous

Just relax and go and have a ball, don't worry about the small stuff.

What ship are you and your husband on?

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Oh gosh, those are just 'first cruise jitters'. Ignor them and they will completely disappear as soon as you cross that gangway and enter the ship and get your first look at you new home for a week. We even like to hang out in the atruim just to see the new folks when they first board. Just amazing. Relax, if we can answer any questions let us know, and enjoy.
Jim

Old May 26th, 2005, 06:25 PM
clnscheffer

Default Re: Re: getting nervous

We are going on the Empress of the Seas. I guess my concern is did we pick the wrong ship? Our theory is/was to pick a shorter cruise to see if we like it then we will venture out onto longer ones. My husband really wants to see the ruins so we are going to do that at Tulum and do snuba in Key West.
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I hear the Empress is in wonderful shape . Looking REALLY good after her refurbishment. You'll be hooked! <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Admiral

We started on a short trip, too and knew after the first day we wanted a longer cruise next time!

I think the first time jitters are totally normal. At sailaway I started to relax and began the best vacation ever. I'm sure you will too.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Admiral

We did our first cruise December 2004 on the Carnival Fantasy, 4 night. We also started witha short cruise at first. My husband was very excited but I was extremely nervous and worried (I was afraid of boats). Well, let's just say I was nervous and worried for nothing and I am no longer afraid of big boats (still afraid of small ones). We had a great time and will be planning our next cruise soon. Just trying to decide where and when.

Have a wonderful relaxing time. The best part of a first cruise, at least to me, is everything was new so it added to the fun. I was like a little kid in a candy store.

Be safe and let us know how it was when you get back. Be sure to take lots of pictures. I still take mine out and look at them.

God bless.

Old May 27th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Admiral

the best advise is just to relax and and think about the adventure that awaits you. If you are like me, lists are your best friend, see it in writing, check it off when its done.
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:13 PM
AR

Probably the best advice is to quit reading this board until you get back. If you keep looking at everybody's gripes, complaints and niggling worries about whether room 216 is better than room 218, and whether formal night is Monday night or Tuesday night, and whether they need to pack hair dryers, duct tape, power strips, cable ties, elastic cords, soap, food, water, etc., it's sure to make you nervous.

For a short cruise, pack light and sensibly, follow the suggestions in the cruise information, get on the ship, go with the flow, and have a good time. You can't go wrong because cruising is the most stressless way to vacation. You make comparitively few decisions of any importance, everything is done for you, and you can turn off your brain if you want to (of course, some cruisers take this last point to extremes!)

Forget about it until it's time to pack (a day or two before you leave), then go and have fun. You'll love Tulum, it's a great choice for an excursion.
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:54 PM
pcboston

Don't be nervous, I think you will fall in love with cruising just like the rest of us. My first was a 3 day to the Bahamas also, to test it out. I just came back from #8 and only took the first one 5 yrs. ago. The only thing that should scare you is that you will become addicted and want to go all the time! By the way, I have been to Tulum. It is a beautiful site right on the ocean, amazing what the Mayans did way back then. Enjoy!
Old May 28th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Beginner

I took my first cruise last summer. DH doesn't fly and I have a fear of the ocean, so travel has been a bit of a problem. But I decided to bite the bullet and go. Long story short, I book two cruises this year!!!!!!! You will love it. Best vacation I have ever had. Hope you have a great time!

Old May 28th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Well, I can appreciate your anticipation when embarkening upon a new experience! Believe me, you will wonder why you ever felt nervous when you return! And I predict you will be thinking about booking your next cruise when you return. Nice thing about cruises is that it can be whatever you make it to be, either more relaxing , or more active!

And I agree w/AR, don't listen to other people's whining & complaining, I'm sure you will have a TERRIFIC time!

Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas