Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Annie Dudley

Default Spa Carnival? :(

Hello all,

I just returned from my second cruise and wondered if anyone else had complaints about the Spa on any Carnival ships? I was on the Conquest this time and the Pride last time and both times felt like I was at a Mary Kay party or a Kirby vacuum salesman was giving me my facial.

They immediately point out how awful your skin is and want to know what products you are using etc.

I've had many spa treatments at other resorts and hotels and have never been given a list of quite expensive products that they think I should be using afterward.

Just wondering what anyone else thinks about this?

Annie
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Spa Carnival? :(

They are all working for Steiners and are taught the same way and sales pitch. Just ignore them and let them know you are not interested and you just want the massage or whatever.
Jim

Old March 29th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Captain

Funny, I was just thinking about that. I always get the oxygen facial and my husban always gets a manicure at the beginning of the cruise. (He's a welder and his hands are awful, but for one week they look really nice. They don't market to him but I always go away with a list of product that is $300 to $500 and I have really good skin!) Has anyone ever started their treatment by saying "I'm not interested in purchasing any products so you can use that 'sell' time to extend my massage"? Wonder if it would work. By the way Annie how was the Pride. We leave 4/17.

ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old March 29th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Annie Dudley

Default Re: Re: Spa Carnival? :(

Susan,

I enjoyed the Pride very much. As ships go I like it better than the Conquest. I think I liked the Caribbean better than the Mexican Riviera but enjoyed it too.

Have fun.

Annie
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Captain

Did you eat at David's Supper Club? If so can you explain how it works and did you enjoy it?

ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Annie Dudley

Default Re: Re: Spa Carnival? :(

Susan,

We ate at David's and also The Point on the Conquest. We enjoyed both very much. I would suggest going right away and making reservations for whichever night you want because they fill up pretty quickly.

Basically, it is $25.00 per person for the meal but well worth it. Gourmet food, very good. The setting is more quiet than the regular dining room. We will always do the Supper Club while cruising, but then again, we like to eat Enjoy.

Annie
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:23 AM
venice

I don't know about Carnival, but I was on HAL Zuiderdam last fall and was recovering from a major back operation and I actually had a special lotion that I had purchased from a store in Oakland CA designed to heal the scar, I showed it to my massage person and she not only used it on me (at my request), but wanted to know where I had purchased it (I sent her an order of it when I returned home) and she made her "pitch" for some products but kept it very short
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:35 PM
BoosterMom

I was on the Inspiration in January. I had never had a massage, facial before but because it was our 25th anniversary, my husband wanted me to do something special. I did the facial. I knew it was going to be strange when the girl introduced herself and her face was in terrible shape. I think it was acne scarring and I don't think she could help it.......maybe that's why she was trained to do facials, I dont know, but it put a bit of a damper on my facial. I was uncomfortable. She kept telling me that she could tell I didn't use a moisturizer or night time face cream, a facial wash (I use Neutrogena soap as my dermatologist directs), eye cream, etc. and I started adding it up in my head. After the facial, she gave me a list of all the things I needed to keep my face presentable! I did buy the oily skin facial wash because it was only $29.00. Just finished it up and won't buy anymore. I did, however, take some of her advice, but spent the money at Wal-Mart in the Revlon section!!!!!!
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:26 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

Yes they "market" you extensively on the Ships....I got an express facial back in december since it was only $20 and she told me how horrible my skin was, of course, I tune them out, take the list and enjoy the facial, but I do want to try telling them upfront one time that I do NOT want to hear about any of their products just get the facial/massage/treatment etc. in a polite way of course, and see what they would do, has anyone had success with this approach?