Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Passenger

Default FIRST TIME CRUISER W/ LOTS OF ???'S

My husband and I are going on our first cruise in May on the Carnival Destiny to the Southern Caribbean. I've been reading a lot of the posts to try and get all my questions answered, but am still a little confused about certain items. Any help or suggestions you could give would be greatly appreciated!!

1)How does the food and drinks work on ship? Is all food/meals free or do you have to pay for some? As for drinks is it correct that you can have unlimited tea, lemonade, coffee but you have to pay for anything else? When you stop at ports can you get back on the ship for your meals?

2)I know it's not appropriate to wear jeans or jean shorts on ship but is it okay to wear these items while at a port? I figure if my husband and I will be doing something active or where we might get dirty it would be better to wear less dressy clothes.

3)We'll be stopping at St. Thomas/St. John, Barbados, Dominica, and Aruba...any suggestions on places to definitely see or do at these ports?

4)Is shampoo and conditioner provided on ship? Is an iron provided, if not can we bring our own? Is there an alarm clock provided or should we bring our own? And is there a security box in our room to lock our things up?

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP YOU CAN GIVE!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Kathy & Dave

Default Re: FIRST TIME CRUISER W/ LOTS OF ???'S

Most food and coffee/tea/water/lemonaid are free. Specialty restaurants and alcoholic drinks you pay for (using your shipboard account).

You can wear whatever you want during the day whether on the ship or in port (though it might be too hot out for jeans in May). Wear comfortable clothes/shoes when you get off the ship (don't forget sunscreen). You can get on/off the ship for meals while in port. We often go shopping early, then go back to drop off the packages, grab a bite to eat, and venture out again. Just be sure to get back at least 1/2 hour before sailing time.

St Thomas - there is so much to do there! Last time, we took a catamaran over to St. John. That was really nice. I'm sure others will have recommendations too. Aruba is awesome! We took a cab to the hotel area and hung out at the beach. You can rent a boat/jetski, probably have parasailing, but I forget.

They usually provide shampoo/conditioner...I bring my own. Not sure about that ship, but some have laundry rooms w/ironing board & iron. It's not recommended to bring your own (fire hazard). Bring an alarm clock, they don't provide one. Most have safes in the room. Usually small, but will hold wallets, jewelry, cameras, etc.

Have a great cruise!

Old March 30th, 2005, 01:11 PM
glojo

Drinks you pay for: anything w/ alcohol and anything carbonated ie, coke, sprite.

You can wear jeans anywhere if you want to, even on the ship. But most stay away from dark colours because they can be so hot. And loose clothing is recommended.

You can get off/on the ship as many times as you want, but you have to go through the xray security proccess each time, and must have your cruise card with you to get back on the ship.

I believe most ships have a automated wakeup servce, like a hotel.

St Thomas, we took the tram for a very scenic view of the bay, great for pics.
Went also to saphire beach to snorkel, very nice, chairs and shade.

I used the ships shampoo also for washing out bathing suits, etc.
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Admiral

There is a charge for the specialty restaurant, otherwise all food is included.
There is a charge for all alcoholic beverages, soda and bottled water
You can go back and forth, on and off the ship as often as you like. We usually do a morning excursion, come back to the ship drop off stuff, grab a bite to eat then get off the ship and explore town. Remember to be aboard 1 hour before departure
May in the Southern Caribbean will be HOT, don't even bother packing your jeans, you will spend your days in shorts, t-shirts, tanks, halters etc and your swimsuits. Pack lightweight natural-breathable fabrics like cotton, linen and silk.
St.Thomas/St. John - gorgeous beaches and really good shopping. go to this link for valuable information www.vinow.com
Check your ships deck plans they will tell you if there are self-service laundry rooms, the laundry rooms do have irons. DO not bring your own iron, they are fire hazzards.
Pack a small battery operated travel alarm clock.
Old March 30th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

1)How does the food and drinks work on ship? Is all food/meals free or do you have to pay for some? As for drinks is it correct that you can have unlimited tea, lemonade, coffee but you have to pay for anything else? When you stop at ports can you get back on the ship for your meals?

You didn't say what cruise line you are sailing so I will answer your question on the assumption that you are cruising on a mainstream cruise line such as Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, Celebrity, or Royal Caribbean.

There may be specialty restaurants on board that may carry an extra charge. The main dining rooms and buffets are included. Liquor, beer, wine, soda and bottled water cost extra. You may come back to the ship for meals. You may get on and off the ship as often as you like for dining or whatever you like.

2) know it's not appropriate to wear jeans or jean shorts on ship but is it okay to wear these items while at a port? I figure if my husband and I will be doing something active or where we might get dirty it would be better to wear less dressy clothes.

You may wear jeans or jeans shorts on board. Jeans are frowned on in the dining room and that's about it. Jeans may be too warm to be comfortable in warm climates. If you are actually going to be doing something active such as exploring or repelling it may well be a good idea.

3)We'll be stopping at St. Thomas/St. John, Barbados, Dominica, and Aruba...any suggestions on places to definitely see or do at these ports?

I love to snorkel and St. John has some beautiful beaches as does Aruba.

4)Is shampoo and conditioner provided on ship? Is an iron provided, if not can we bring our own? Is there an alarm clock provided or should we bring our own? And is there a security box in our room to lock our things up?

Irons are not provided nor are they allowed. You can have pressing sent out if required. You can bring a travel alarm if you need one. Shampoo and conditioner is provided. If you have special needs bring a travel size from home. Many people find the ship's adequate. Most ship's have a safe in the room.

I hope you have a great cruise and enjoy every part of it.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:47 PM
asgio

clothes-wear what you want,when you want , except for most cruises with dress code in formal dining room, with at least one nite formal, other than that, usu no problem.shampoo ,etc, provided. all drinks mentioned free, same with food, except you pay for pop and/or alcohol, can usu get a card for set fee for unlimited pop if you want.you will not want for food, if you want 3 lobster,then ask for it when they have it, and if you want prime rib along with it,just tell them, the cruise is built around plenty of food.
look into excursions on your own, they will try to steer you to going with their tours, etc, and you will pay more always. sometimes it is better, safer, but,usually you can go to the site, activity, like other tourists, and do it on your own. you can also take some time, once ashore, talk, look around, hire a cab and take a tour of island,go to activities, etc for so much less. or rent a vehicle for short time. stay away from art auctions, not worth it. room service is also free, just expect to be tipped of course. the staff work like hell, for relatively little, they make your cruise. did i answer everything?