Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:19 PM
RMT

Default Multiple Cruises

I've noticed that some people cruise many times during a one year period. How do they afford this? Don't they have jobs? My husband and I went on Princess Nov 04 and that cost about $3,000.00. We both work full time and make decent salaries. If there's a secret please let me know, because we'd love to cruise more than once year.
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Multiple Cruises

Great question!!!!!! Is there a secret?

Old April 1st, 2005, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Finish up sending your kids to college, marry off your three daughters, after that travelling several times a year is a bargain.
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:24 PM
Admiral

PapaBill--I knew you would have the "secret". I still have 3 years of college left between my 2 kids but luckily I only have 1 daughter. Hope I'm still young enough to have lots of fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Old April 1st, 2005, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We cruise at least once a year and sometimes twice, plus take one land based vacation. This year we happen to be cruising twice. We have a separate bank account that we deposit a certain amount of money in each week. We also deposit all "extra" income such as bonuses, rebates, tax returns, Christmas and birthday money, overtime, etc. You'd be surprised at how quickly it adds up. We also save change. I also "bargain hunt". I just booked the cruise in August about a month ago. Its a four day for four people. Total cruise cost, including port fees and taxes is $1178. I got airfare from Boston to Tampa at $69 each way. We always purchase inside cabins. I also tend to be very frugal with other things and don't buy anything we don't need. I always ask myself "Do I need it, or is this more money I can put toward travel?" In most cases I don't need it. I'd rather travel than have the latest "stuff".

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 1st, 2005, 06:04 PM
Captain

Darcy,
You sound like me. I'd rather enjoy the time my husband and I have, than spend money on big screen tvs. We probably should be saving more for our retirement. But after my husband had a bout with cancer a few years ago and we enjoy every minute and don't say "Some day" because today is the only day we know we have. He is doing fine, no cancer for almost 5 years.

ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old April 1st, 2005, 06:59 PM
venice

amen Susan
Old April 1st, 2005, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

People who cruise multiple times a year are either independantly wealthy, or those who saved through their younger years so they could travel more later, or they are travel writers <G>, or they have reasonably good jobs and prioritize their disposable income towards cruising, rather than eating out alot all year, or trading their cars off every two years, or spend alot on other luxury items the rest of the year, or when the roof needs fixing, cover it in plastic <VBG>

Old April 1st, 2005, 07:27 PM
windycity kitty

I was thinking the same thing. I have been saving my pennys for over a year for my cruise this Monday on the Legend. I did shop a lot on line and compare web sites for good deals. I got an outside cabin for around $650.00 not including port fees and taxes or airfare.And it's an 8 day cruise! I booked with a singles group and booked early. Some web sites have last minute deals if you can go on short notice, but there are lots of deals. There are also shorter cruises I am thinking of doing a 5 night cruise next time with 2 days in Fort Lauderdale or what ever port Im sailing from, this way I can strech a short cruise into a longer vacation with a few days of beach bumming. Im also thinking would I save money if I drove to the port? With gas prices who knows. There are lots of books and sites for Budget travel. Do your homework and start saving. Some ports are cheaper then others such because you can just go to the beach on your own, or explore without paying for shore excursions, but the ports should be safe for this, such as St.Thomas, Nassau, my ports in Central America they don't reccommend going it alone there. I just put aside an envelope that I marked Vacation and set aside extra money from my part time job or extra tip money from my regular job, I just kept adding to it till I had enough to book a trip and did just that.
Old April 1st, 2005, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

I am spending my Kids inheratance.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old April 1st, 2005, 08:53 PM
borntocruise

RayB, That's what my children say about us. I hope we are still traveling ofter 60 yrs of marriage. We will celebrate our 35th on the Mariner in April. Hang in there!!!!!
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:16 PM
AR

In my case, begin saving and investing at age 16, using summer job money and accountant father's guidance. Get a decent job and continue to invest at least 10% of gross (over and above Social Security deductions and mandatory pension deductions, if any). Marry someone who also has a decent job, save and invest 10% of that salary as well, live on one net paycheck and save the other for a downpayment. After buying the house, have a couple kids and enjoy raising them, but still save and invest through every tax deferred avenue available, and then more on top of that. Invest wisely but aggressively, because inflation is a cruel master. If you're doing all this, and doing reasonably well in your careers, you should be able to enjoy one or two vacations a year with little problem. If you have jobs that involve travel, sometimes you can work out "piggyback vacations" on top of business trips to save a little money.

Because you will have done what you're supposed to do and saved for your kids' educations you probably won't be eligible for need-based "packages"--a wickedly ironic reality of the college process. Therefore, be prepared to pay full price for college educations. Through all this, continue to save and to rebalance your portfolio for aggressive growth, but with a sensible risk/reward profile. Never stop saving, and do not let market fluctuations (up or down) deter you from a long-term investing approach.

Once the kids have graduated (and in our case, when one of them finishes flight school--another major hit), retire as early as possible, hopefully no later than 55. By this time, if you've saved and invested wisely, with any luck you'll have "bulletproofed" your finances so that your portfolio will kick out more than you need to supplement your monthly retirement income (DB pensions and Social Security if it's still around), without cutting in to principal. The wisest course is to plan as though you'll never receive Social Security. If you wind up getting something, consider it a bonus. We're still not old enough to receive it, and I'm still not counting on it. If any ever shows up, it'll be an "inflation adjuster."

Once retired under these condtions it can be possible to maintain your standard of living, travel pretty much at will, and have a blast. In our case, that investment in flight school is generating a payback. Airline pilots' parents get to fly for free, and that's a big deal. But, alas, cruise fares are still cruise fares, and hotels are still hotels. Occasional freelance projects add a few dollars and keep the brain engaged.

The secret is using all the time available to you. Time is either your great ally or your biggest enemy. I was very lucky in that my father knew all this and taught me well and early. My wife saw the wisdom of it and signed on for the program without hesitation 35 years ago. And the big bonus--in all that time we've never had an argument about money. Never. (We have had arguments about other things, but if you never argue about money you've basically got it made.)

Many will think this is a fairy tale--and I don't blame you if you do. But I promise you that it can be a real-life experience, and I highly recommend it.
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to My_chemical_romance27

or one more suggestion...move close to one of the ports...and then when you have a free weekend...jump on one of the shorter cruises...you already have your cabana wear because you are living someplace warm (most of the time) and you dont have the added air fare...can you tell what i have in mind once my kids are gone lol...
Old April 2nd, 2005, 04:01 PM
CruzCrazy

We only starting cruising in 2002. We are now both retired.

My husband and I were savers. We never bought a new car, only used until last month when we finally bought our first new car. We do everything ourselves. Built our own house, do our own repairs, yard work etc. We have no kids at home. They are on their own.

We saved...saved...saved....and when we retired we took our 401, Pension, IRA's to our financial planner to invest for us. We told him what we needed to live on for the year. When I told him how much I would like for my travel account, he said no problem. We are done saving and now starting to spend the money we worked hard for all those years.

We do live in Miami so it makes it easier to cruise to the Caribbean with two ports to choose from. We sometimes jump on those short cruises. But we do fly to NY and cruise out of there as well.

We almost always book inside cabins and sometimes do balconies if the price is good, like a repo cruise. I would not spend my money on Concierge cabins or Suites. I would rather use the money for another cruise. We don't gamble. We don't drink, only a martini or two before dinner. We do spend some on excursions. Our shipboard account at the end of our cruise is usually under $400.

I book at least a year in advance and I book on the ships to get my shipboard credit.

We like to cruise in the off season (December) when the prices are the lowest. Although I do not cruise during hurricane season which is also a low season. I book all my hotels on Priceline or Hotwire and book all my airfare myself.

My advice would be to start a vacation fund, you would be surprised how it adds up.

Look for the low season on cruises. Check out Priceline/Hotwire for hotels and try to get the best airfare you can find.

Happy cruising!
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:11 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I live close to a port,have the warm weather clothes..lets see,what was the rest??? Oh yeah, weekends..have very few weekends off
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:21 AM
Margaret M.

The best advice, without knowing your exact situation, is what others have said also...have a vacation savings account and look for good deals to book early. I'm a stay at home mom with 2 teenagers and a great husband who's worked hard in a good federal government job. So it's easy for us to plan the time off. This year we happen to have 2 cruises planned. One with kids, one without. For years my husband said "when the kids are old enough to enjoy it, we'll take big vacations, Europe, Alaska, etc" and 2 years ago I pointed out that they WERE older and if we didn't start planning, they'd be in college and gone before we went anywhere. So we allocate a good amount of money to the vacation fund. We have good savings plans for his retirement, BUT those other big life events we look at differently. When college comes next year,it will just be another bill, and as for marrying off daughters.... I'll offer them money towards a house downpayment (married or single) but I'm not paying a fortune for a 4 hour party!

Happy cruising!
Margaret

P.S. Kuki...I have been putting off the new roof but I haven't had to unroll the plastic yet!
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:26 PM
RMT

WOW, thank you for all the advice. Our children are grown and out of the house, so that isn't a factor anymore. Just wondering how multiple cruises were accomplished.
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Martyscav@cs.com

I got this email this week. Maybe THIS explains it! Marty
>
>Sensible Old Age Care
>
>About 2 years ago my friend and I were on a cruise through the
>westernMediterraneanaboard a Princess liner. At dinner we noticed an
>elderly lady sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main
>dining room. I also noticed that all the staff, ships officers, waiters,
>busboys, etc., all seemed very familiar with this lady. I asked our waiter
>who the lady was, expecting to be told she owned the line, but he said he
>only knew that she had been on board for the last four cruises, back to
>back.
>
>As we left the dining room one evening I caught her eye and stopped to say
>hello. We chatted and I said, "I understand you've been on this ship for
>the last four cruises." She replied, "Yes, that's true." I stated, "I don't
>understand" and she replied, without a pause, "It's cheaper than a nursing
>home."
>
>So, there will be no nursing home in my future. When I get old and feeble,
>I am going to get on a Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a
>nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked on reservations at Princess
>and I can get a long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per
>day. That leaves $65 a day for:
>
>1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.
>2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant,
>or I can have room service (which means I can have breakfast in bed every
>day of the week). 3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a
>workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.
>4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.
>5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5
>worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.
>6. I will get to meet new people every 7 or 14 days!
>7. TV broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress
>replaced? No problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your
>inconvenience
>8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even have to ask for
>them.
>9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare; if
>you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade you to a
>suite for the rest of your life.
>
>Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South America, thePanama
>Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or name where you want to go?
>
>Princess will have a ship ready to go. So don't look for me in a nursing
>home, just call shore to ship.
>
>P. S. And don't forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side at
>NO CHARGE !
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:46 PM
RMT

Martyscav, what a brillant idea. I'll forward this to my children.
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:53 PM
claude

Default Re: Re: Multiple Cruises

Hello,

THIS IS FABULOUS........I might forward this to my kids,....but I will
for sure advise my doctor and my executor !!!!
What a sublime way to run out the string......!!!

Happy sailing
CG
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:26 PM
First Mate

My husband has six weeks + vacation a year after 33 years with the same company. It also helps that we live close to a port. But mainly, we book a year or more in advance. We are also eligible for past cruiser discounts, etc. I am a stay at home mom for 20 years and have two sons in college and one in high school. I also attend college classes myself. Sometimes we take our sons with us other times we do not. We have found that certain times of the year are more reasonable. We have taken five day cruises out of Galveston for as little as $250 per person. Our last family cruise was a 7-day on the Elation out of Galveston at Christmas which was more expensive because of the time period. We have two 7- day cruises booked out of Puerto Rico in a few months. These we booked about 9 months ago and got great discounts. We will cruise again on New Years and will be booking a cruise for our youngest son's birthday next year. My husband travels extensively on his job so we are using our frequent flier miles for the airfare to Puerto Rico which will also save money. If you cruise while everyone is in school, the rates are also cheaper. We enjoy looking for great deals.
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:59 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Multiple Cruises

Well, you know, there was at least one lady who was living virtually full time on the old QEII. She had her own inside room, knew everybody on the crew, and made new friends every week. They did a piece on her years ago--I think it was on Sunday Morning. Very funny.

There are, of course, downsides. Joking aside, if you really need a nursing home, then you really need a nursing home. If you don't really need one, then this is a great idea.
Old April 13th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

this is our first time and we are so looking forward to this. we always thought a cruise was for rich folks and we aren't rich by any means, but we do watch our money. Our girls are grown and married. We paid off our home last year, bought a new car for the first time in our 30 year marriage and bit the bullet and checked into cruises. we are going with a group of 11. we are paying for our daughter's to go and our 1 year old grandson and we are paying for a friend of daughters to go as the nanny. we have an inside stateroom guarantee and I think we got a good price (came to about 537 per/person including port/taxes) for a 5 night cruise to Mexico. we are already looking into one for our 30th anniversary this November. we have debts like everyone else, but we put back every penny we can, but we have the most fun of any couple we know. we could have got a better room if we didn't take our girls and grandson and a nanny, but we just couldn't bear going on this trip without them having the chance to do it with us. We had the most fun telling our girls about the trip and they were saying, wish we could go and then we suprised them with the trip too! I believe this will be a yearly thing.

Carnival Celebration
Holiday-2005
Old April 13th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Joy

We also always buy the most inexpensive cabin. I'd rather pay less for the cabin and cruise more often. JMO.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 16th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to paul1

the last cruise we took I had been saving all my one dollar bills and all the change,of course the teller at the bank was not to happy to see me but when I walked out I had 1357.00 more in my savings account and that was only saving for 10 months.you will be surprised how fast it adds up.I have tried telling my two sons who are 21 and 23 but every penny in there pocket has to go,and the funny part is you ask them what did you buy wiyh your money and they just look at you funny and say I dont know.

Old April 17th, 2005, 10:52 PM
CruzCrazy

I saw that show about the women who lives on the QEII it was great.

They asked her if when does she see her family and she responded something like, "only if they take this cruise.

I wonder if my Long-Term Health Care Insurance Policy will cover my nursing home care on a cruise ship. I would love it. Not sure about the doctors though. But I know I would be fed well.
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have decided to cruise once a year for my vacation. The second week of my vacation is usually spent around the house doing the fun yard/house work.

Next year may be two cruises though. But like everyone else, I am saving my extra money so that I can afford this. $50 per pay check into a savings account plus any suprise money thatmay come my way.