Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2005, 05:41 PM
First Mate

Default When is "Spring Break?"

Good Evening:

We're newer cruisers and planning to book for Spring 2006.

When, exactly, is "Spring Break?" Here in the Northeast, public schools have a week mid-Feb & another mid-April. Growing up in Ohio, we had 2 weeks mid-March. And, I can't remember back that far as to when I had off in college!

We enjoyed the kids on our cruise to Alaska last summer. But I've read posts describing over-whelming numbers on the recent spring cruises. Which cruise lines seem to attract the younger crowd? Which weeks should be avoided by us "slower" folk who just want to relax?

We are presently looking at a cruise beginning March 4, 2006.

Thanks, Marty
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2005, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: When is "Spring Break?"

The spring break here in a sub of Chicago was last week, its back to school tomorrow, but I've found spring break can be anywhere from March through April, so its really hard to tell.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 3rd, 2005, 07:02 PM
Admiral

My kids go to college in Florida and their spring break next year is from March 5th to March 12th. I also know that alot of kids from their school are putting together a cruise for next year's spring break. Since most of them are now 21 they can cruise without "adults". Note sure where they're going but I know they are planning on going Carnival.

Post Edited (04-03-05 19:03)
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:02 PM
First Mate

In Peoria, Illinois it was last week for most of the kids. For college kids, it was two or three weeks ago.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:46 PM
venice

in March of 2006, it's safe to say it's spring break somewhere in America...Also realize that here in New Orleans, during Mardi Gras, since school is out for the entire week, many , many, many families leave town and go on cruises both from ships leaving out of New Orleans and Florida and now Mobile
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Marty:

There was a great thread a while back where everyone was posting their spring/winter breaks. Its different in all parts of the country. I looked to me like it runs from mid-February through the end of April. The college kids then start getting out of school in mid-May to the end of May. If you're looking at cruising the beginning of March you will most likely be hitting someone's school vacation. Carnival, RCL and Princess will most likely have more families on them. Celebrity and HAL will likely have less. Hope this helps.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:05 AM
spike

In the Northeast, MA, RI -Feb Public school vacation is allways the week of Presidents Day Holiday.
There is also a vacation week in April that isn't always the same week in each state. MA is always the week they cellibrate Patroits Day, the only state to cellibrate,(not for the NE Patroits football). This year both states have April 16-24 off.

Private schools in the area usually have a two week vacation the last two weeks of March.
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Marty:
Spring Break is different throughout the country. You can expect a contingent of young people during March and April. I know this is a wide range of dates but with the number of school schedules and the changes in dates of Easter, Passover and other religious holidays it is hard to give an exact date.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 4th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

A good rule of thumb would be two weeks prior to Easter and two weeks after Easter, which makes it a full four weeks of spring break. (way too much time off for kids)

Old April 4th, 2005, 11:30 AM
First Mate

Thanks to Donna, Darcy, Mike, Lizzy, venice & SoCalGal! I appreciate your input.

It sounds a bit like: "5 o'clock." From Feb-April: "It's Spring Break, somehwere?"

We'll be anticipating a fair number of COLLEGE kids, as we are booked on Enchantment for 5 days out of Ft Laud. beginning March 4, 2006. Likely a less exspensive, 5 day cruise would be a draw for them? I don't believe that 1st week in March falls into many public/private school vacations on the secondary level. (Although, I'm aware many parents have no qualms if their children miss a week of school.) We're travelling with son & fiance, in their late 20's and, of course, their time off from work is limited next year. We have a place in Ft Myers and they'd like to spend a day or so with us at Red Sox Spring Training, which occurs in March. A 5 day cruise allows for this. We've got 2 junior suites, on deck 7, aft, at very reasonable price.

There were lots of children on our Alaska cruise on Princess last August. But, you wouldn't know it, they were so occupied. And, they were remarkably well-behaved at dinner. They had great places for the kids to congregate on the Sapphire and we stopped by once or twice and enjoyed seeing how many activities they were engaged in. College kids COULD be a different story.

Unless I hear from someone on this board that RCCL has a reputation for letting the college crowd run amok , I'm not going to be concerned any further. There must be a boring, piano bar somewhere on Enchantment for us 50-somethings & I know we'll be happy on my quiet (?) balcony in the back of the ship if need be! And, we'll be cruising!

Thanks for the info, Cruismates! Marty
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Marty

Just keep in mind that 18 y.o. can drink beer and wine on RCL with a parent's permission. The 3-5 day cruises tend to draw a younger crowd as they are cheaper. We did a 4 day out of Port Canaveral a couple of years ago in April and found while there was a "party hardy" segment, the ship was large enough that we didn't need to be near them all the time, just around the pool.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Admiral

I'm ON spring break! In Atlanta, spring break this year was April 4-11.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:08 PM
spike

LOOK AT THE FARES FOR THE DIFFERENT SAILINGS. uSUALLY WHEN THE FARES PEAK, THERE IS SOME KIND OF SCHOOL BREAK .
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:30 PM
First Mate

Spike: Thanks for the advice. I went to RCCL website and, sure enough, there are different prices for the 9 identical 5 day cruise itineraries we're interested in out of Ft Laurderale between Jan-April, 2006. 4 are higher, 4 are lower. March 4 is dead center on the price scale. I'm guessing it's COLLEGE break somewhere, but not college AND K-12 vacations together? What do you think? However, I noticed that the Junior Suites were all gone ALREADY on the March 4th trip. I had a choice of 4-5 on the aft end just 3 weeks ago and I took two of them! Wonder what that means. (In the late 60's, we used to pack 6 or more into a motel room at Lauderdale...we were pretty decadent...or so we thot! )

Since the 2 couples of us travelling don't have the time for a longer cruise next year, I think I'll just be happy cruising at all! And, hope MY balcony is quiet.......I'm guessing the pool might not be!

As I said before, unless I hear from anyone on these boards that RCCL let's the college crowd run amok on their ships........

Thanks, Spike
Old April 7th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Admiral

Actually Marty my kids were on winter break on March 4th this year (we live in NH)

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

To add to Darcy's post about when school gets out, here's what it looks like at Florida State for the next few years. It seems our spring break is early, but we do get out of classes at the end of april.

spring break march 7-11, last day of final exams (we are done with classes) april 29

spring break march 6-10, last day of finals april 28

spring break march 5-9
haley
(keep in mind that at FSU there are very few Friday classes and no weekend classes, so spring break unofficially begins Thursday afternoon)

Post Edited (04-07-05 08:52)
Old April 9th, 2005, 09:25 PM
First Mate

Send a message via ICQ to Cynda

Here in Las Vegas, next year spring break is April 10th thru the 15th
Old April 10th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Admiral

We just booked our next cruise during our daughters spring break here in NE Florida...3/18/06...they are off the week of 3/20/06 and go back 3/27/06. I know my nephews spring break is the week after ours and he's in Melbourne FL so it mostly is the month of march I would think depending upon what area you live in.

Old April 13th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Passenger

We sailed for the first time on the Carnival ship Conquest on 3/20/05. It was our Spring Break in central Alabama. There were over 1000 children 18 years and under on our ship. My teenage sons had a great time and so did my husband and I. I had no complaints about the behavior of the children on our ship.
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:33 AM
David Starkey

Nina's posting about a 1000 kids on one ship is enough to make me move to early May and get a lower rate too.
Old April 15th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Passenger

Being a teacher, I'm used to being around lots of kids... But having 17 year old and 13 year old sons, I wanted there to be plenty of kids for them. And there was!!