Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Default Attention, VERY IMPORTANT!!

We have been talking about it for a long time here saying it will soon be necessary to have a passport so please get yours now. At first they just said everyone by 2008 which is true but misleading. It is now EVERYONE who travels by SEA or AIR to the Caribbean, Bermuda, or Panama to have a Passport by Dec. 31 2005 which means essentially everyone except those going on an Alaskan or Hawaiian cruise or one that goes to Mexico on the West Coast. By Dec. 31 2006 you will need one to travel by air or sea to anyplace, period. Then you will have to have one to even travel by land by Dec. 31 2007. Those friends of ours from Canada will be able to get a type of express pass for those that travel back and forth often and for low-risk types and that will be called a NEXUS card and the commercial type people will get a FAST card. Those going to Mexico will be able to get what will be called a SENTRI card.
WHAT IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO IS GET YOUR PASSPORT NOW!
Jim

Old April 6th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Attention, VERY IMPORTANT!!

Actually, the article I read this morning said it will be by Dec. 31, 2005 for Bermuda, the Carribean and Panama. Here is a direct quote "The new requirements would take effect on Dec. 31, 2007, for travelers entering the United States from Mexico and Canada by land, and on Dec. 31, 2006, by air or sea. The deadline is a year earlier - Dec. 31, 2005 - for travel from Bermuda, the Caribbean and Panama."

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Jim:

These are the bullet points for implementation from the U.S. State Department Travel website: Basically, Get the Passport

December 31, 2005 Passport or other accepted document required for all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.

December 31, 2006 Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.

December 31, 2007 Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings

Accepted document: NEXUS or SENTRI cards for individuals who will meet requirements set for multiple entry and reentry between the United States and Canada or Mexico.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Admiral

I corrected it in all the posts. Hit the 6 insted of the 5. Thanks for catching it.
Jim

Old April 6th, 2005, 01:02 PM
evie

Default Re: Re: Attention, VERY IMPORTANT!!

This may seem like a very stupid question but here goes. We have our passport and is good for 10 years. What do you do about children? Children change in ther looks so much in 10 years what good would those photos do. Do they have special passports for children? The reason I am asking is that I am hoping to take some of my grandchildren next year on a cruise. It will cost a fortune just to get them all passports.
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Children under the age of 16 need to get passports every 5 years. Its slightly cheaper, but not by much.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Why is my TA still insisting I dont need a passport for cruising? I called her today to ask her thoughts about this and she said not to worry. There is no real reason as of yet to get a passport and she doubts I ever will. According to her, the cruise lines do all the checking for us with the documents that we fill out ahead of time. All I will ever need is photo id.
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:12 PM
AR

Time to find a smarter TA.
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Phillygirl:

If the U.S. State Department and Department of Homeland Security are issuing the press releases, updating their websites, informing all other world governments and advising this, I think I would believe them long before I would believe a travel agent.. Granted it has to be rubber stamped by Congress. The chances of this not happening are about 1 in 1000.

The cruise lines have no authority as to which documents are required to enter or exit the United States or any other country. If the United States State Department or Homeland Security requires a passport that is what you must have.

With the fact that the State Department and Homeland Security have made the proposals and that there is about a 1 in 1000 chance that Congress will not pass it, her statement was at the least, naive.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old April 6th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree, this is a good time to do it. It was funny, I was at the village hall where my moms house is doing some paperwork there and already there was a guy there getting information on getting a passport, so I would do it now and avoid all the rush when the time comes.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Phyllygirl. No offense but your TA is being very stupid to say the least. Like Mike said, it is not the TA or even the Cruiselines that are the ones to say what you need in paperwork, it is the US Government. Right now, today, you need at least a birth certificate which is an original issued from the town, county, or state in which you were born. One issued by the hospital is not any good, nor is the family bible or your Aunt Sue confirming your birth. It has to be a government issued BC and not a photocopy. In addition to that you need a Photo ID that is also issued by some government agency be it a drivers license, school id, State ID etc. One from you place of employment is not any good unless you work for a government agency. That is minimum right now. At the latest on Jan. 1, 2006 to sail or fly to anywhere except for Canada or Mexico you will need a Passport, period. Not only that even if you are going to Canada or Mexico, if you are also going somewhere else you will need your Passport. There is no getting around it, you need to get your passport before the year is out for all practical purposes. There are some exceptions and areas that are given more time to have to have this document but I would not even worry about that, just get the passport.
Jim

Old April 6th, 2005, 09:25 PM
AR

You know, I'd be wary of any TA who advised against a passport even before the news of the last few days.

Seems to me that if a TA had any marketing sense, they'd advise their clients to get them, because for some people, getting a passport also brings the itch to travel more. By telling somebody that they'll "probably never need a passport," even under the old scenario, the TA is completely discounting the possibility of them taking cruises in Europe, Australia, or pretty much anyplace outside the Caribbean/Bahamas/Bermuda/Canada/ beaten paths. Not to mention international travel that doesn't involve cruises (yes, some people actually do that from time to time).

So, notwithstanding the absolutely incorrect advice given to Phillygirl, it smacks of a TA who doesn't have much imagination or marketing savvy.
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you all for your thoughts. I was thinking the same thing but was not going to argue with her. She got me the best deal on my cruise at the time so thats why I booked with her but am certainly not happy with her performance. She was not been helpful with other issues either. I really wish I could move my reservation somewhere else than deal with her anymore.

I have already priced different places in the area to get my Passort Photos and it seems that the post office is less expensive ( at least by their signs) than the county office to issue the passport. Any idea why?

I am on a bugdet and trying to find a way to pay for four passports before November when my ship sails. If I cant swing them by then, should I get at least the two kids passports or the adults passports? I have the original BC for all of us and picture ID for the kids.
Old April 7th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Admiral

PhillyGirl, The fees for the Passport are the same. As to how mush the photo costs...that is up to whoever takes it. We had our photos done at Wal-mart as they have the proper set up to do those. These photos have to be a certain size etc. and then just took the photos, applications, and paperword down to the Clerk of Court and they sent it off for processing.
Jim

Old April 7th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Phillygirl:

We have done our last two renewals at our local county service center. At that location they did both the renewal and photos. The cost of the photo was actually less than the cost at Wal-Mart and they know immediately that it will be accepted. It is also much faster and convenient.

You can find a location that has photo service on site by clicking on this link and putting in your zip code:

Where to Apply For A Passport

Take care,
Mike

Old April 7th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you all. I got the forms at the post office this morning and checked on the price. They did not change the board behind the counter but had a price list at the register area.

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:49 PM
First Mate

We will be taking two cruises out of Puerto Rico in a few few weeks. The Destiny and then the following week Adventure of the Seas. Since we have been to St. Thomas several times I was checking out different shore excursions and came across one that goes to Virgin Gorda and the Baths. It said a passport was required for this excursion because we will be required to pass through immigration at Virgin Gorda. Unfortunately, we have let ours expire. I emailed Royal Caribbean and they answered back that we can take this shore excursion by bringing our expired passport with our picture ID and birth certificates. We have taken 14 cruises and have never used our passports. We don't want to have any problems so we are now going to have our passports renewed immediately. Your travel agent needs to know that right now even before the law changes, there are shore excursions that require a passport.
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Thank you Gambler, I had not heard of that and it comes as a surprise as I knew that CCL at least visited that place and did not say anything about passports. No matter what it just makes sense to get them and the reason now is even more imperitive that one have theirs.
Jim

Old April 9th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Philly Girl, you can move your reservation to another agent, but your current agent might charge a fee for the change.

Can't remember when you are cruising, but if there's time, maybe you could get one passport a month and have them all before you sail?

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04